Halo_003

The (important) gear:

Innovative Marine Nuvo 30L BLACK

Modular Marine 1200GPH Slim Overflow

Innovative Marine Nuvo 30L APS stand in BLACK

Skimz UP22 "Sumpro" Sump

Seneye Reef Monitor

Maxspect Gyre XF 230 

24" CNC milled Unibody LED light with Nanobox v3 arrays (Built by me) - update coming

Vertex 1.5L Reactor

Tunze 3155 ATO

Simplicity Aquatics DC 120 Skimmer

Jebao DCT 6000

Cobalt Neo-Therm 150W heater

Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro

Water: SpectraPure 90GPD Chloramine Removal 5 Stage RODI

Upcoming: 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/di-4-drop-in-fleece-filter-system-klir.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/intellifeed-aquarium-fish-feeder-lifegard-aquatics.html

Stocking Inspiration:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651611

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs1s-9JoVhY&list=PLBaMLrfToJyxQ2ssQRPnmwFOJ2Qp8NBHi

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259398

Fish Source: 

https://www.vossenaquatics.com/

Scape Inspiration:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chris-algae-farm-elos-160.109257/

For future add in to LED: https://blueacro.com/acroiq/

I will be updating my LED light build to have the controller and drivers located in the main housing using the above drivers.

• Like 1

I have high hopes for it, I've wanted an aluminum stand for a few years now! Thanks for your thoughts on the Eclipse overflow from your build thread, I'm going to swap it for the Modular Marine one as well. 

Thinking about stocking some, I'm torn between doing 100% BTAs, or doing majority BTAs with a couple of Maxi Mini Carpets. The only thing there is the Maxi's would probably (I assume?) get hurt by the BTAs.

edit: Boy that was quick. DFS delivered the tank today. I wasn’t expecting it until Thursday next week. Also, the wall where it will be located.

111057FB-131D-4B88-9445-3C92C45A2861.jpeg

FF214955-A5C9-4C82-92E3-E6FFD72EB9DA.jpeg

Edited by Halo_003
  • Like 1

Awesome! Gee, I hope the MM turns out as good as I expect to. I doubt it will disappoint. What model did you get, the 1200 gph? Did you get the uni-seals or bulkheads for drains? Mine's on its way now, can't wait to get it all set up. 

Hello, Halo_003!

I am looking to (most likely) order either the IM Nuvo Black 30 or 40 gallon, and I read where one reviewer mentioned that the black back could have been darker or less translucent. What do you think of the back of your tank?

Thanks in advance, and best of luck with your build!

-Detritus

9 minutes ago, Detritus said:

Hello, Halo_003!

I am looking to (most likely) order either the IM Nuvo Black 30 or 40 gallon, and I read where one reviewer mentioned that the black back could have been darker or less translucent. What do you think of the back of your tank?

Thanks in advance, and best of luck with your build!

-Detritus

I'll give my two cents... It's not solid black. You can see through it fairly easily, how much you can see through it really depends on the lighting outside, inside and around the tank. I have a few pics of the 30L on my thread (link in sig). 

1 hour ago, Halo_003 said:

I haven't ordered one yet, it will be the smallest possible that will still let me do a Bean Animal drain setup. I'm going to get the bulkhead option I think.

I do believe that would be the 1,200 gph model. 

9 hours ago, samnaz said:

I'll give my two cents... It's not solid black. You can see through it fairly easily, how much you can see through it really depends on the lighting outside, inside and around the tank. I have a few pics of the 30L on my thread (link in sig). 

Thank you for that reply!

-D

22 hours ago, samnaz said:

This is a better answer than I could give, I only took the tank out of the box to check for chips and cracks, it wasn't under serious lighting so I couldn't say how dark the glass is.

22 hours ago, samnaz said:

I do believe that would be the 1,200 gph model. 

I think you are correct, it's what I will likely be ordering once I get the other overflow returned.

• Like 1

Big order inbound. Next one should (hopefully) be the last and least expensive. I am excited to at least get the cabinet put together once it arrives and start working on cable routing. Just realized I forgot to attach the code for the free t-shirt from BRS, oh well. :(

Capture.PNG.16b504c3f0e55f2e74a003ebd8919717.PNG

Edit: the new image attaching on desktop browser version is awesome.

10 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Looks good!  How are you planning to do your plumbing? 

The general idea (sorry for no diagram) is to do a beananimal drain (3 pipes), and on the return to have a manifold for the reactors and the two returns. Center overflow placement with a return on each end. All with schedule 80 pipe, lots of unions and gate valves.

2 hours ago, c_man7 said:

Following along. I'm doing a similar build with a Black 25 lagoon

You can't say that and not link a build thread in your signature!  I need piiiiiiiiiiiictures. 

Please post pictures when you get it set up.  I've been thinking of doing a Nuvo Black tank for my bedroom. 

Pictures will be plentiful, especially after the new phone arrives. Hoping that it has a better camera than my 3 year old iPhone 6.

10 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Love the dimensions of the novo BLACK 30L! 

I was actually iffy about it at first, but when I opened it up I decided that the height would be really nice to have. 

8 hours ago, c_man7 said:

Following along. I'm doing a similar build with a Black 25 lagoon

Share a link when you have a thread going! Hopefully yours moves along a little faster than mine is.

As a general comment, I came across this thread on RC last night. I'm a big fan of what he's trying, and am looking into stocking clowns in a small harem with heavy feeding and a large amount of BTAs. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, and I'm currently weighing it against trying out a group of chalk bass. I think my plan at the moment is to order a small batch of Premium Picassos from ORA to add to my current Gladiator (3+ year old female). If it doesn't work I will rehome them locally here in the Chicago area.

14 hours ago, Halo_003 said:

As a general comment, I came across this thread on RC last night. I'm a big fan of what he's trying, and am looking into stocking clowns in a small harem with heavy feeding and a large amount of BTAs. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, and I'm currently weighing it against trying out a group of chalk bass. I think my plan at the moment is to order a small batch of Premium Picassos from ORA to add to my current Gladiator (3+ year old female). If it doesn't work I will rehome them locally here in the Chicago area.

If memory serves correct, Bulk Reef Supply did a video (or several) on a clownfish harem.  I wonder if it's still running? 

RIP Sebastian

That's a really cool RC thread! Thanks for sharing. I love clowns (if you can't tell by my sig) and I'm excited to see how this works out for you. Not many people have attempted  harem in a nano, so I'm excited to see how this works out. Are you planning on five or seven? What skimmer are yo using? Just curious.

-Nick

If memory serves correct, Bulk Reef Supply did a video (or several) on a clownfish harem.  I wonder if it's still running? 

It’s actually one of the links at the very bottom of the first post. I’ll ping them a message and ask next time I order, I’m curious too. As far as I know it still is going.

5 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

That's a really cool RC thread! Thanks for sharing. I love clowns (if you can't tell by my sig) and I'm excited to see how this works out for you. Not many people have attempted  harem in a nano, so I'm excited to see how this works out. Are you planning on five or seven? What skimmer are yo using? Just curious.

-Nick

I am planning on a group of 7 premium Picassos (pending pricing, may need to do a different variant) with my already owned Gladiator clown. I’m not sure about how a harem will work with an older female but I will rehome fish if need be. I figure the bigger the group the better odds are that any aggression would be less targeted on one fish, and with already having a large female I am curious to see if that helps reduce aggression, since I would imagine the fighting for dominance in the group of Picassos  would be for second place.

The skimmer is a Simplicity Aquatics DC 120. I may eventually look into going with a Skimz or Vertex, but for now it will do. The tank will have pretty heavy filtration.

In other news: The Skimz UP22 does indeed fit in the APS stand, but it seriously could not be any tighter. I’ll have a closer up picture tomorrow to show how close. IM lists clearance as less than 12”. My plan to get around that was to use some 80/20 aluminum profiles to lift the sump up out of the between the front and back APS profiles, but it doesn’t look like I’ll need to. I do not think a 12” glass tank with a rim would fit, but the rimless acrylic Skimz sump just barely goes in.

I actually thought the APS stand was kind of a pain to get together. I’ll have a detailed review tomorrow when I’m not replying on my phone but here’s a couple of pictures for now. Work backpack for scale.

BCC870A7-D4D8-4493-A895-ED95899200FB.thumb.jpeg.9a65d123d1267bb73a0de5cc9a08b252.jpeg47445EE3-20B3-4E39-BF93-F4DD3CB7672F.thumb.jpeg.a497b28ad684963cb7b8c390babe58b1.jpeg

Here you go. Mines going just about as slow. I started ordering parts back in July. I'm working on getting my plumbing complete and hoping to water test it this coming weekend.