SaltCritters.com

Upside Down Pico Reef - A very Pico Christmas!

TFish77

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Reason 3 to avoid sexy shrimp: they sometimes eat coral. ;)

good to know, as they are now off my pico potential list....:unsure:

• Like 1

Went ahead and knocked out about 40% water change really just to pull out all the extra waste from that feather duster and clean up the bottom a bit :huh:. I also was able to get my hands on a few extra corals I wanted to try in there as well including some capping monti, a small torch coral, and some birds of paradise. I  do have a bit of hair algae growing on a few frags that I plan on hitting with some hydrogen peroxide tomorrow. 

Everything still seems to be doing good so far. I have put a few drops of my food mix for my other tanks in there probably ever 3 or 4 days just to keep stuff fed. I am also currently working on a cleaner lift tube that attaches with a magnet to the back to try and hide it a bit more. At this point still just trying to keep everything as simple and easy as possible. 

7l4vqIn.jpg

etdpWJ2.jpg

1mlhYeO.jpg

yFai2Sv.jpg

m17LH7T.jpg

jePZK5x.jpg

0XyL5ZX.jpg

TBBGhM4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

It almost hurts my head to look at this :lol:.  I think it's the lighting that does it; if it was lit from above, my brain wouldn't insist all the photos are upside down. 

• Like 5

Looks like me; water and electrical cords all over the floor. :lol:

Sorry about the jar.  That really stinks.  I'm so glad you are replacing it and not giving up!

3 hours ago, seabass said:

Looks like me; water and electrical cords all over the floor. :lol:

Sorry about the jar.  That really stinks.  I'm so glad you are replacing it and not giving up!

haha I know right and thank you. I promise 60% of the time, the fish room is clean every time <_<.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

? O no, that is sad to see!

3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Damn! What happened?

Just some bad luck. I had taken the lid off to do a water change and also to do some work on the stand itself so I put the tank and w/c tank down beside the stand. I must have tripped on the cord for the old hydor 180 pump I had sitting under the stand still which yanked it right into the tank slicing it in half.... Instant 50% samurai water change :ninja:.

Luckily it was just the vase itself and everything else was sitting in the temporary water change tank. So off to Michaels. 

Had to make sure it was the same one :lol:.

w6j5sQ3.jpg

RnAHLV3.jpg

I was able to get a bit of work done on the stand itself though. I noticed the light wasn't spreading as much as I wanted in the tank so I decided to make the hole on the bottom as large as possible to let as much light through as I could. 

wdCrkg7.jpg

I9OCNXH.jpg

I also finally got around to siliconing a piece of acrylic to the bottom to  protect the power strip below.

TP7dcw2.jpg

So all in all a rather eventful day. I was going to add a few more corals but decided not to push my luck anymore today. I'm happy to just be back where I was :happy:

Porollx.jpg

• Like 10
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 8:46 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

How's things going in here?  Is the coral still doing well upside down?

So far so good. I did lose 3 things. My birds of paradise because I knocked it off taking the lid out and broke it up and my two capping monti frags because I am pretty sure I got puddy on the tissue when trying to get them glued down which is never good. Also I have been using a bit of hydrogen peroxide to treat some bryopsis I noticed on the bottom of some of the frags which I think has stared to piss off my little birdsnest. Other than that things have been really good which I am happy with. Haven't broken the tank again yet!

I went ahead and added (what I thought) was a small frag of duncans just to try some more lps upside down and that thing got big fast. I am a little worried it will start to sting my encrusting monti on the bottom branch but we will see. I also added a really nice baby toadstool directly upside down to try and experiment with some leathers and he looks great. I am not gonna lie all my initial worries about the corals trying to float upwards seem to have been wrong. The biggest question now is long term health though. 

Here are some quick crappy pics I got. 

7qyvyTh.jpg

XRimPEz.jpg

G9hPnUh.jpg

I also tried chopping a few polyps of rastas and blue hornets off and got them glued down. Kinda hard to see but it looks like they are doing ok.

XSgJos6.jpg

• Like 7

Also side note: Today is only the third 60% water change I have done on the tank since it started. Even with the lack of biological filtration all the water parameters seem to be holding fine. The idea behind this tank is simplicity so I really don't want to be doing tons of water changes on it. 

• Like 1