Jump to content
Nickmcg

Nickmcg pico Creative Container Contest

Recommended Posts

Nickmcg

I started reef keeping with a 3g Pico tank in a lemonade jug and currently have a few Pico tanks running, so this contest is right up my alley! For the contest I'm going to be using a rectangle glass vase. I have a small ebay power head which I have used in past picos, they're cheap and small. I'm going to try not using a heater in this tank. My current 1g Pico aio stays around 76 degrees with just the power head. Lighting will be a coral compulsion par 30 18k led. Stocking plans are green star polyp on the rock work surrounded by rock flower anemones. Possibly some sex shrimp later on as well. 

 

Equipment :

-14 x 5 x 3.25 glass vase 

-eBay powered 

-coral compulsion par 30 18k led 

 

 

 

IMG_20171011_132825573.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
JoeR

This is going to be sweet! Definitely Following.

 

 

How are you going to deal with evaporation?

Share this post


Link to post
Nickmcg
13 minutes ago, JoeR said:

This is going to be sweet! Definitely Following.

 

 

How are you going to deal with evaporation?

Think I'll probably make a glass lid and then probably just daily top offs.  

 

Going to go with black sand for this

 

IMG_20171011_134931735.jpg

 

Pump in 

IMG_20171011_135620865.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
flatlandreefer

I really like this one! If you can keep evap under control this will be sweet!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Scalion

Wondering if that "aquarium" is ok with the rule of the contest ?

Share this post


Link to post
flatlandreefer

It says vase on the box...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
schgr.cube

This is pretty sweet so far! Makes me feel better that I might be going super tiny soon...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

Awesome! Looks just like an aquarium, I want one lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
vlangel

Your plan of a green star polyp island surrounded by RFAs is a great idea.  This might be a winner!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
metrokat

Can I say - WOW!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks

Clever vase solution! :lol: 

 

I can't believe how shallow this one is. Have you measured out the water volume yet or is that an XL bottle of Cholula? :o

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
8 hours ago, Scalion said:

Wondering if that "aquarium" is ok with the rule of the contest ?

It's not made as an aquarium so I'm gonna go with yes. ;)

 

It does look like a couple of ADA's tanks, just smaller!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Scalion
8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's not made as an aquarium so I'm gonna go with yes. ;)

 

It does look like a couple of ADA's tanks, just smaller!

Well that is awesome ! I realy like the dimension of this (gonna call it Box :p). That thing have great potential !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
TatorTaco

Pretty neat little tank.  It looks just like a scaled down 12G!  I do think you're going to need a lid on this sucker or you'll be topping off at least twice a day.  

 

Edit:  What about just using saran wrap to cover a chunk of the top?  It'd be super cheap and easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Nickmcg
20 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

This is pretty sweet so far! Makes me feel better that I might be going super tiny soon...

Super tiny is the way! 

 

17 hours ago, vlangel said:

Your plan of a green star polyp island surrounded by RFAs is a great idea.  This might be a winner!

Thanks! If it works out how I'm hoping I think it'll be pretty neat. 

 

15 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Clever vase solution! :lol: 

 

I can't believe how shallow this one is. Have you measured out the water volume yet or is that an XL bottle of Cholula? :o

It's a 12oz bottle. I think it's around 3/4 gallon of water volume. I'll measure next time I do a water change. 

 

1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

Pretty neat little tank.  It looks just like a scaled down 12G!  I do think you're going to need a lid on this sucker or you'll be topping off at least twice a day.  

 

Edit:  What about just using saran wrap to cover a chunk of the top?  It'd be super cheap and easy. 

That's a good idea. I'll probably do that until I come up with a glass one. 

 

 

Seams make me a little nervous, hopefully they'll hold. 

IMG_20171011_135641250.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Nickmcg

Filled it up! Lights coming today so should have Pics of that later. 

 

Same vase above, used to have succulents until they all died. Once I get the cords and lighting figured out they'll be side by side on that mantle. 

IMG_20171012_112004605.jpg

IMG_20171012_145957690.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
gena

Awesome!  I like your terrarium too.

Share this post


Link to post
skibum513

I really like this setup cant wait to see it stocked up!

Share this post


Link to post
Nickmcg
On 10/13/2017 at 11:53 AM, gena said:

Awesome!  I like your terrarium too.

Thanks! 

 

On 10/17/2017 at 9:47 AM, skibum513 said:

I really like this setup cant wait to see it stocked up!

Hopefully stocking soon. 

 

 

 

Finally got the light on. Also got a glass lid for it. 

IMG_20171018_121335911_HDR.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Very sleek. 

Share this post


Link to post
Nickmcg

First nem. Not the best colors but it was cheap at petco. 

IMG_20171018_164907443.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
medinar83

awesome 

Share this post


Link to post
schgr.cube

This is pretty sweet!

Share this post


Link to post
Rene
5 hours ago, Nickmcg said:

First nem. Not the best colors but it was cheap at petco. 

IMG_20171018_164907443.jpg

Brown is a color!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...