Top Shelf Aquatics

Kellie's Terrarium Pico Tank

Kellie in CA

Well, I'm going to give this pico contest a go!  I picked up this terrarium a few years ago off a clearance rack.  I love the unusual shape, but I just never found a real use for it.  It holds approx 1.5 gallons.  The low volume makes me a bit nervous, but I'll just see how it goes! 

Trying to keep to a small budget.  As much as I would like to use a powerhead, I think my 2 year old will really get a kick out of the bubbles, so an air pump it is!

Pico Tank.JPG

• Like 10
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:31 AM, gena said:

Is there fire in there? :D

3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Awesome and unusual shaped container.  

PS:  I love taco bell sauce too.  Not a fan of the super hot black label one though.  Yuck!

I had no idea my pico was missing so many options!

TACO BELL 2.png

• Like 1
On 10/13/2017 at 7:06 PM, Kellie in CA said:

I'm curious to see how much distortion there will be, but she holds water! 

FullSizeRender.jpg

The distortion makes it look even better.  Everything looks huge.  Tiny frags look huge :lol:

I can't wait to get something in there!  I just can't figure out the lighting situation.  I know nothing about these PAR bulbs.  I actually ordered one, but then I realized that 27 watts was probably going to fry everything!  Whoops!   

1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

I can't wait to get something in there!  I just can't figure out the lighting situation.  I know nothing about these PAR bulbs.  I actually ordered one, but then I realized that 27 watts was probably going to fry everything!  Whoops!   

Probably, unless it's like 2-3 feet up! :lol: 12w is probably the maximum you will need for this tank size.  Depending on whether you like more white or more blue, I can make a few recommendations.  The ABI Tuna Blue is pretty blue to my eyes and brings out the flourescence in the corals.  ABI also has what I call a 50/50 bulb that is whites and blues, it's the one seabass is using on his jar.  It has a very nice color, not too white, not too blue.  I have a bulb from Reef Radiance from their closeout section that is 12w, it was over my 5.5 for a while and it is a nice fairly white color.  Reef Radiance also has a 7w bulb that is fairly purple to the eye but corals seem to like it so I am trying it out because it's the perfect wattage for this tank.  Those are all the bulbs I have personally tried (well, I also have a secondhand Coral Compulsion bulb which has a very nice, kind of white color to it but not sure on the spectrum of it or wattage).

Edit: the 27w could potentially work as is, if the optics are fairly wide so as to disperse the light over a wider area.  If they are narrower optics, they will probably fry things in a jiffy.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Probably, unless it's like 2-3 feet up! :lol: 12w is probably the maximum you will need for this tank size.  Depending on whether you like more white or more blue, I can make a few recommendations.  The ABI Tuna Blue is pretty blue to my eyes and brings out the flourescence in the corals.  ABI also has what I call a 50/50 bulb that is whites and blues, it's the one seabass is using on his jar.  It has a very nice color, not too white, not too blue.  I have a bulb from Reef Radiance from their closeout section that is 12w, it was over my 5.5 for a while and it is a nice fairly white color.  Reef Radiance also has a 7w bulb that is fairly purple to the eye but corals seem to like it so I am trying it out because it's the perfect wattage for this tank.  Those are all the bulbs I have personally tried (well, I also have a secondhand Coral Compulsion bulb which has a very nice, kind of white color to it but not sure on the spectrum of it or wattage).

Edit: the 27w could potentially work as is, if the optics are fairly wide so as to disperse the light over a wider area.  If they are narrower optics, they will probably fry things in a jiffy.

Thank you.   The optics are 120 on the 27 watt.  I'll probably just have to eat the cost and start over.  That's what I get for trying to be cheap!  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Thank you.   The optics are 120 on the 27 watt.  I'll probably just have to eat the cost and start over.  That's what I get for trying to be cheap!  :lol:

Those are pretty wide optics so you could give it a try and see if it's too intense.  Start it high and work it down as needed.

I just went ahead and ordered the Reef Radiance PAR30.  I am spending too much time obsessing over this (typical me), time to get this thing going!   

• Like 1

I just went ahead and ordered the Reef Radiance PAR30.  I am spending too much time obsessing over this (typical me), time to get this thing going!   

Did you get the closeout model for $29?  I ordered one earlier too.

5 minutes ago, gena said:

Did you get the closeout model for $29?  I ordered one earlier too.

I think that's the PAR38, I went back and forth between the two.  That one was a much better deal for sure.  But ended up choosing the PAR30.  It just seemed like it would work better with the light fixture I have.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I think that's the PAR38, I went back and forth between the two.  That one was a much better deal for sure.  But ended up choosing the PAR30.  It just seemed like it would work better with the light fixture I have.

Yeah, it was $50 off the original price.  I figured it's worth a try.  I didn't even see the PAR30 bulb.  I'll have to look again, or wait and see it over your tank :).

If it's the 7w model, it's the one I have over my jar at the moment and I used to have it over my 5.5, it's got kind of a purplish hue to it but it grows on you and the corals seem to like it.  You can look at early pics of my 5.5 to see the spectrum.

• Like 1

The lid arrived today. This container is a little tricky because it is a square that becomes round as it gets to the top. It's also not perfectly symmetrical, the edge is off by quite a bit. I opted for a round piece of 1/8" clear acrylic. There is still some exposure in the corners, but it sits down inside nicely.  

Pico Lid.jpg

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I didn't know you could get round acrylic!! 

There are a few vendors on eBay that sell acrylic discs. I'm not sure what they are supposed to be for, but there are a variety of sizes.