Pod Your Reef

Coral dying

Neil1975

Hi I was wandering if anyone would no if this coral is ok,it has been in my tank for 2 weeks and was doing fine,but I've noticed it looks a bit dodgy on the side,was wandering if any one would no if it could be saved if so how,all other coral and fish are doing fine,just this one

image.jpg

image.jpg

17 minutes ago, Neil1975 said:

Also have a hammer that has shrivelled up,is it dead if so why,if not will it come back to life,it's been 3 days now and it looks like a gonna

image.jpg

Need more info on your set up and parameters. 

The goniopora looks pissed..... not sure what that skeleton is in the back..... lobo?  

Were these pieces purchased after your temperature disaster or are they still trying to recover. 

20 minutes ago, Neil1975 said:

Also have a hammer that has shrivelled up,is it dead if so why,if not will it come back to life,it's been 3 days now and it looks like a gonna

image.jpg

I dont see the hammer unless its the skeleton that you're referring to. Is it a wall hammer?

1 minute ago, Minmay said:

I dont see the hammer unless its the skeleton that you're referring to. Is it a wall hammer?

It seems OP has multiple posts regarding dying Coral. 

5 minutes ago, Neil1975 said:

Yes it is a wall hammer,is it not coming back,it was fine until I moved the tank around

If the wall hammer has no flesh left I don't think it will come back. ....as long as there is flesh there is at least some hope.  

I was was saying that the green Goniopora in the front looked angry..... does it ever fully extend?

23 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Need more info on your set up and parameters. 

The goniopora looks pissed..... not sure what that skeleton is in the back..... lobo?  

Were these pieces purchased after your temperature disaster or are they still trying to recover. 

What do you mean by set up parameters?

3 minutes ago, Neil1975 said:

What do you mean by set up parameters?

Most of your posts have been quite spread out and we don't have much information on your tank.  Tell us about it: size, lights, equipment, stocking, additives, etc.

Oh sorry I didn't understand,I have slowly been getting it back after the disaster so have been getting advice from the pet shop,no he has never really fully extended since I bought him,but there seams to be what looks like a mouldy type substance on one side,I thought it may have touched the coral next to it so moved it 2" to the left,I have a Red Sea 250,I'm not sure of the lights,but they have red,green,blue,white and red,and change in half an hour intervals,I have a protein skimmer,I have a uv light to get rid of white spot and algae,I have 2 clown fish, a watchman goby,an algae blennie,a mandarin,3 silver chromis,snails crabs.peppermint shrimp,fire shrimp,cleaner shrimp,rainbow wrasse, and 2 others am not sure what they are called

WV Reefer is right. If all you see is skeleton, its pretty much a goner. Sorry for your loss. Ive read that wall hammers get brown jelly. Maybe thats what happened? I only get branching hammers so if it does get brown jelly I can cut the head thats sick.

Also have nitrate balls in the sump as well as a bit of live rock,and a phosphate bag,all my other corals look fine,the best they have ever looked to be honest,I bought a couple of rock ledges and re landscaped the whole tank,but I bought the goniopora after I did the change,if I send some photos could you see if I have my coral in the correct place,as I've spoke to 3 people and they always say this shouldn't be here or that should be there and it gets a bit overwhelming especially as am about £3500 in now

Yes there is a tiny little bit of flesh,and I mean tiny,is it best to get rid of the skeleton as is it polluting my tank? Thanks for your help

3 minutes ago, Neil1975 said:

Here is a few photos,cheers for your help by the way,do you think I should get rid of the skeleton, will it pollute my tank?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Everything else looks beautiful!

Goniopora can be quite difficult.  Do you feed it?  

Just now, Neil1975 said:

Yes I feed it reef roids and all my coral seam to love it,

I Would just keep an eye on it.

Maybe try a new location- something could be irritating it. 

As for the hammer- it looks pretty gone. If it makes you nervous then remove it. 

I do test the ph and nitrate phosphate etc,do not actually no how to test for ca and mag,it looks worse today,fed them yesterday and the rest are better than ever,I really don't want to lose it,

image.jpg

image.jpg

Testing alk ca and mag are the 3 most important tests for corals.

Mag keeps ca and alk balanced, if mag is low the other 2 go out of balance.

Alk is the most important besides salinity.

If you're not testing these, how do you know what your corals are consuming and how much these parameters are fluctuating?

Fluctuations and low parameters are the leading cause of coral decline.

With the amount of stony coral you have, you most likely have a decent alk and ca consumption, causing parameters to drop between waterchanges....

I have had a hammer coral come back from what appeared as just skeleton. A little flesh was alive inside apparently. My disaster was from an alk overdose (sleep deprivation and math don't mix). So if you want to leave the skeleton to just wait and see, that is fine as long as you don't see brown jelly.

You have a Peppermint. Hmmm. I had a terrible experience with two small acans heads, given to me, that were stressed out from freshwater exposure when the roof on one of our LFS's was torn off during a serious rain storm. Anyway, the acans were trying to recover when they were attacked and eaten, over night, by my Peppermint's. I lost the acans, and pawned the Peppermint's back to my LFS for store credit. JMHO, but I will never trust another shrimp, especially if I have stressed out corals.

• Like 1

Hi the test kit I have is what came with the Red Sea 250, but it appears that it will only test for ammonia,ph,Alk, nitrate and nitrite,and phosphate,so do I have to buy another test kit that tests for mag and calcium,I do regular water changes,50 litres every 8-9 days,my corals have always looked good,and healthy,it's just the wall hammer and goniopora that have not done so well,so what levels are good or harmful with mag and calcium,if they are to high or low what do I do,is there anything I can do?

Also the day after a water change I put the recommended dose of Salifert all in one in,which increases alkalinity,calcium,and strontium,is this product not affective?

You shouldn't be dosing without knowing your paraneters. You dose to replenish what corals use between waterchanges.

You have to test your newly mixed water

Then test your tank after a waterchange 

Then test at the same time every day alk, ca, and mag.

This will show you where you started at and how much your corals consume daily.

You dose according to that. 

Blindly dosing will lead to problems.

Peppermint shrimp are evil. Mine tore apart 3 brains.