Cultivated Reef

Dpolt's 42 Gallon Caribbean and Pacific Islands Mixed Reef

dpoltsdsu

Still have to add a couple of the Gorgs to the right side of the tank but here is the left side. I am pretty happy with it. A lot of color and movement which is what I am going for

20180524_175251.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Not sure if I have posted them on here but I have a pair of Blue Stripe Pipefish in the tank. While looking at the reef this evening, I noticed that one of them appears to be pregnant and looks like it is holding a bunch of eggs on it's stomach! I'm going to try and a get a picture when the lighting is better 

• Like 2
  • Wow 4
Christopher Marks
On 5/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, dpoltsdsu said:

Still have to add a couple of the Gorgs to the right side of the tank but here is the left side. I am pretty happy with it. A lot of color and movement which is what I am going for

20180524_175251.jpg

It's really quite stunning @dpoltsdsu, and such a unique aquascape with so many layers! I'd love to see a video clip of it some time 😄

On 5/30/2018 at 11:11 PM, Christopher Marks said:

It's really quite stunning @dpoltsdsu, and such a unique aquascape with so many layers! I'd love to see a video clip of it some time 😄

Thanks for the kind words! I'll be sure to shoot a little video soon 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

That derasa clam is gorgeous! I'm curious though, why was it moved originally?

My Clownfish pair was trying to find a host and kept nipping at it. I let them get used to their mushroom hosts and they haven't nipped since putting it back in! Fortunately, my roommate also has a reef so it's really easy to transfer stuff back and forth. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jack1978 said:

.....and what's the update on the pipefish? 

Beautiful tank, btw.

Thanks! Pipefish are doing very well. They have been spawning every 2 weeks or so. I haven't been able to catch the babies yet though. Ive been trying to get a good picture but they are usually only out in the early morning and at night! The male carries the eggs on its stomach for a bit and them they hatch

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
Christopher Marks
37 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

Thanks! Pipefish are doing very well. They have been spawning every 2 weeks or so. I haven't been able to catch the babies yet though. Ive been trying to get a good picture but they are usually only out in the early morning and at night! The male carries the eggs on its stomach for a bit and them they hatch

That's incredible! Hopefully you can document it one of these days, it's so tough to catch the moment.

• Like 1

The KP aquatics rock came in today and it is incredible. Im letting it cure a bit in a separate tank with a light on it to try and keep alive some of the photosynthetic life on it

I've already found some snails, a small urchin, a couple corals that I will attempt to identify, some nice macros, a couple Emerald crabs, and a ton of worms. 

I plan on keeping the left side of the tank exactly the same and try to build up the right side which I feel is lacking. The right side will focus primarily on Gorgonians from the Caribbean with a couple different varieties of coral as well.

• Like 1

There is a particular fish that I have been on the lookout for years and today, my local fish store called me and let me know that one came in

Cant wait to go get it

Going to have to clear the SPS out though.... 

• Like 1

The newest addition to the reef is one of the fish I have been after for quite a while, an Orange Spotted Filefish. I got him acclimated last night and this morning he was eating some Masstick off the glass which is a great sign! He hasnt picked at any coral yet although I doubt he'd go after any soft coral or gorgs.

Here's a picture! 

20180703_103715.jpg

• Like 5

After 2 days in the tank, the Orange Spotted Filefish seems to be doing well. He has eaten a lot of Masstick this morning. I put some on an old Acropora coral skeleton and he has been hovering over it and picking at it for a good 2 hours now. He actually went after a flake at one point as well but spit it out. 

None of the other fish have gone after him at all which was quite relieving. 

Here he is picking at the Masstick

20180705_105006.jpg

• Like 4

Here's a view from the side of the reef! I designed the aquascape so one has an interesting view from the front as well as the the left side that faces the majority of the apartment! Ill post a front side FTS soon. 

20180710_165130.jpg

• Like 4