Pod Your Reef

Dpolt's 42 Gallon Caribbean and Pacific Islands Mixed Reef

dpoltsdsu

Love the tank . Weird I have missed this some how 😋.. how do you like your skimmer? I just picked one up for a new build . Also is that a kole eyed tang? If it is how do you like him I was really wanting one

Added a Toadstool to the top right of the tank. I think it really completed the right side of the reef. Ive been really enjoying the reef as of late and I am very pleased with the current direction of the tank!

Screenshot_20180831-140641_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180831-140439_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5
On 8/29/2018 at 5:04 PM, Weikel said:

Love the tank . Weird I have missed this some how 😋.. how do you like your skimmer? I just picked one up for a new build . Also is that a kole eyed tang? If it is how do you like him I was really wanting one

Thanks!

The skimmer has been great so far. I have not had any issues with it and it pulls out some good skimmate 

• 2 weeks later...

That sure is a big ol' clam! Also, it's nice to see some prominent GSP in somebody elses tank! I'm growing it out on my bare bottom to make it look like an underwater garden!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Love Pipefish and I’m planning a dedicated tank just to host these guys. 

Can you share your experience with them when you get a chance? 

I have really really enjoyed my pair of Blue Striped Pipefish. I orginally had them in a 42 gallon reef with high flow  and they did really well. However, I have moved them into their own dedicated 10 gallon frag tank and they are still doing great and are out all the time.

They spawn every 2 weeks or so and they eat newly hatched brine shrimp and really small frozen foods! Highly recommend these guys.

• Like 1
On 9/19/2018 at 2:30 PM, YHSublime said:

That sure is a big ol' clam! Also, it's nice to see some prominent GSP in somebody elses tank! I'm growing it out on my bare bottom to make it look like an underwater garden!

Its one big boy haha

I love the green the branching GSP give to the tank. It gives the reef a very "lush" feel

2 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

I have really really enjoyed my pair of Blue Striped Pipefish. I orginally had them in a 42 gallon reef with high flow  and they did really well. However, I have moved them into their own dedicated 10 gallon frag tank and they are still doing great and are out all the time.

They spawn every 2 weeks or so and they eat newly hatched brine shrimp and really small frozen foods! Highly recommend these guys.

That’s what I am thinking, 9-12g tank. Blue Striped or Dragonface. That’s great that you got them to eat frozen. 

I will setup huge algae reactor to help propagate pod population. 

A lot of ppl say low flow with these guys but I like the fact that they can take some flow. Low flow tanks are extremely difficult to run in my experience. Thanks for the tips. 

No problem! I have an mp10 in the 10 gallon at about 25% intensity and they don't seem super bothered by it. I do shut it off to let them feed though. 

From my experience, this particular species has been food at swimming. Let me know when you get them! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

The Derasa Clam is getting huge. It's going to outgrow the tank at this rate

20181018_155300.jpg

It’s so pretty surrounded by the softies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like your combination of fish in addition to the great looking reef.

It looks like you added a yellow coris wrasse a while back?  How did it behave in the reef?  I'm thinking about adding one for pest control in my tank but not sure how it would treat corals and and small inverts.

• Thanks 1
On 10/21/2018 at 10:38 AM, Zuma said:

I really like your combination of fish in addition to the great looking reef.

It looks like you added a yellow coris wrasse a while back?  How did it behave in the reef?  I'm thinking about adding one for pest control in my tank but not sure how it would treat corals and and small inverts.

Thanks! This is definitely my favorite combination of fish I have had. The Anthias and Chromis are always active and provide a lot of movement and brightness. The Tomini Tang and Melanurus Wrasse provide a splash of color while they are constantly picking at rocks and the the other small fish are always perching and interacting with the reef. Im really enjoying the combo.

The clownfish relentlessly bullied the Coris Wrasse and I removed it before it got deadly. I added the Melanurus Wrasse to provide that same benefit and everyone gets along great now.