Pod Your Reef

Dpolt's 42 Gallon Caribbean and Pacific Islands Mixed Reef

dpoltsdsu

Yesterday while aquascaping a bit, I came up with an interesting concept for the reef. All of my corals are from the coral triangle area in the Pacific Ocean or from the Caribbean, so I thought it would be interesting to make two islands, one with only corals inverts from the Pacific, and the other island with only livestock from the Caribbean. I am currently separating everything out so I can place them in their new locations.

• Like 1

One structure will be primarily used to showcase a variety of Soft Corals, Large Polyp Stony Corals, Clams and Small Polyp Stony Coral from the Pacific Ocean while the other structure will be used to showcase livestock from the Caribbean. That structure will be be home to Gorgonians, Ricordea, and Rock Flower Anemone's.

• Like 1

I was able to get the aquascape situated and i'm pretty happy with the result. I went with a big structure on the left for the Pacific side and a smaller structure on the right to allow the Gorgonians to grow taller.

Here are a couple of quick pictures I took of the setup.

Got my first Rock Flower Anemone for the Caribbean side. Its a bluish-white in the middle with pink tentacles. I fed it some mysis and it ate them very quickly and seems to be doing well so far! 

20180411_164712.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Fortunate enough to get the chance to visit the Cook Islands this week. Planning on doing quite a bit of snorkeling and diving while I'm there. I'll post some pictures of what I see!

• Like 1
dpoltsdsu

Some pretty fantastic snorkeling already. Some of the reefs right off the beach are actually in surprisingly good shape. Plenty of healthy colonies. The coral diversity is also been better than expected. I have seen colonies of Acropora, Lobophyllia, Acanthastrea, Stylopora, Poccilopora, huge Lobe corals, and even some leather corals.

There are beautiful Butterflyfish everywhere. Here is a couple pictures from the first day of snorkeling.

Photo 1 Auriga Butterflyfish

Photo 2 Longnose and Racoon Butterflyfish

Photo 3 Saddle Butterflyfish

Auriga Butterflyfish.png

Longnose and Racoon Butterfly.png

Saddleback Butterflyfish.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
On 3/20/2018 at 12:14 PM, Christopher Marks said:

So beautiful @dpoltsdsu!

Does the xenia ever bother your gorgonians as it spreads?

Yup. Pretty sure June is gonna need a TOTM. Jus’ sayin’.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got home from vacation this morning and the reef is looking great! My roommate is a reef keeper so I am lucky to have a tank sitter that is in the hobby as well.

I made one last change to the scape and now I feel like it's at a place where it can really grow in and start to give me that "coral forest" look that I like.

I didn't love the look of the Caribbean side the more that I looked at it, so what I did was connect the rock work and make the bottom right of the tank the Caribbean area and I am now going to fill in the rest with other corals from the Pacific. I am still leaving a large area specifically for Caribbean livestock.

Here's a cool picture I just took from the right side of the tank with some natural sunlight in the reef. Really liking the colors of the tank right now! 

20180509_184654.png

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Picked up a small and skinny Target Mandarin from a lfs today. I want to fatten it up and try and give it a better quality of life. After about an hour in the reef, it is eating Nutramar OVA and newly hatched Brine Shrimp so that is already a good sign! 

20180514_194132.jpg

• Like 2
On 5/14/2018 at 8:17 PM, Red_Blenny said:

That green fuzzy coral to the left, is that a branching GSP or a gorgonian?

It was sold to me as a branching GSP but I believe it's actually a species of Briarium. I've had it for about 5 years and it is a fantastic coral.  

• Like 1

The Target Mandarin that I rescued is becoming much more active and has been eating quite a bit. Hopefully the fish is beginning to recover. I've been feeding Nutramar and newly hatched Brine Shrimp 3-4 times a day

• Like 1