ReefCleaners.org

Candy cane pistol shrimp awol

Reefisgood61

I added a small 1" pistol shrimp (candy cane) and a small watchman goby on Sunday.  New tank 4 months old.  Water parameters are good.  Acclimated both well.  The goby is fine. No sign of the shrimp.  Should I assume he is in the tank somewhere and hope they find each other and pair of maybe he's gone.  No sign of him.  34 gallon.  Red Sea reefer.  Hermits, cleaner, snails, coral Beauty, Chromis, and corals.  Wondering how long I watch for home before I assume the worst and shop for another pal for my watchman.  

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

He is probably around somewhere. Check around the base of the rocks to see if anything changes. Shells/rocks moving, divets or mounds in the sand, any door like structures (rocks/shells/debris piled up by the base of the LR).

Your tank is pretty big and he has a lot of room to play around with. Keep an eye out for any signs. If you don't see anything within 2 or 3 weeks, then I would say he may be lost. 

Thrassian Atoll

I haven't seen my candy pistol since I added to the tank 1.5 months ago.  I hear him click, and see burrows that he has dug.  My yasha stays by the burrows too but I have never seen the shrimp come out.

GunslingerGirl

My candy cane wanted to dig a legit tunnel system before he paired with my YWG.

The tiger went "Saaaaaavvvve me" and paired up right away.

Shrimp are weird.

If you don't hear anything ( which you may not with such a little guy) or see anything (piles of sand) for a few weeks I would consider him gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys. I was awol.  So I never found the small pistol.  The LFS thinks he is so small still in there.  The goby fiissspoeard too.  My first fish disappearance.  So after a few weeks I got a new larger pistol and tiger goby.  They too disappeared for a week or more. Then magically the reappeared a few days ago.  So cool.  The goby hangs our waiting to be practically hand fed.  He doesn’t compete for food well with fish.  The shrim is tight under him and pips in and out.  They are fun to watch.  

Oh sorry. And the red coral.  Funny you ask. I though it was a type of open brain coral.  Someone experienced can tell us.  I love him though. Healthy.  Hangs over the rocks.  Doing well.  I can send a better pic.  

D0390D70-EDAF-4E6B-B987-FA591EC8EDD5.jpeg