ReefCleaners.org

Reef Lighting

DominicDuffy

It may still perish even if you upgrade your light, it is a difficult anemone to keep and not because of something as simple as buying a new light. I would give it away for free to someone who had a aged tank with proper lighting. 

Are you feeding it? This particular nem needs to be fed 5-7 times a week and they are picky about food so be sure it is eating it and not just grabbing it then spitting it out or not bringing it to its mouth. Uncooked fresh pieces of shrimp is what I would try first.

This is not a beginner nem, they die easily from infections or any damage, so manually splitting it is a no-no and will likely kill it. It will outgrow your tank if you can get it healthy again which means a bigger tank and new lights again which it doesn't seem you have the budget for. 

You see where I am going here? How much money are you willing to spend on this animal during its life?

• Like 3

The Kessil A80 is a good light for very small tanks but I would not consider it to be adequate for any anemone in a tank the size of yours.  Listen to Tamberav, she has shared invaluable knowledge about the nem with you.  Keep trying to give it away.

• Like 1
GunslingerGirl
2 minutes ago, DominicDuffy said:

The size of my nem is only 4 inch with a 2 inch base

The size of the anemone doesn't matter. It's going to die if you don't give it to somebody who has an idea of what they are doing.

Even if you save it... it's going to grow and grow and grow. It WILL outgrow this tank. You CANNOT split it. So it will just keep growing and growing. If you do not have the money to spend on this anemone... it's just not going to work.

• Like 1

I do have the money it’s just knowing when to stop spending and how much I’m willing to spend. Tell me all the requirements for this anemone including lighting etc and I’ll see what I can do. 

GunslingerGirl
13 minutes ago, DominicDuffy said:

I do have the money it’s just knowing when to stop spending and how much I’m willing to spend. Tell me all the requirements for this anemone including lighting etc and I’ll see what I can do. 

Ok firstly.. I hate to be rude, but you are depending too much on us for information that is across the internet.

A simple google search brought up the fact that several people have these on reef central. Most of which have them in the 18-24" across range the record in captivity is over 30". In 130 gallon or higher tanks. And those people who have them in 100 gallons think the nem is too cramped and plan to upgrade. So apparently it can be done. Maybe make an account over there and ask about them.

Are you ready for a 150 gallon or more tank? And an anemone that will be up to a meter long? That's not some easy thing.

It isn't about your light. When I first started commenting I thought you had a bubble tip or something. NOT ALL ANEMONES ARE THE SAME.

It needs ridiculously high light, to sit on the edge of a chaotic flow. It will climb over the edge of your tank apparently and just go for a walk across your carpet just for kicks.

Spend some time on the internet. This is a forum for nano reefs. We do not keep ritteri anemones in our tanks. Because we can't.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Ok firstly.. I hate to be rude, but you are depending too much on us for information that is across the internet.

A simple google search brought up the fact that several people have these on reef central. Most of which have them in the 18-24" across range the record in captivity is over 30". In 130 gallon or higher tanks. And those people who have them in 100 gallons think the nem is too cramped and plan to upgrade. So apparently it can be done. Maybe make an account over there and ask about them.

Are you ready for a 150 gallon or more tank? And an anemone that will be up to a meter long? That's not some easy thing.

It isn't about your light. When I first started commenting I thought you had a bubble tip or something. NOT ALL ANEMONES ARE THE SAME.

It needs ridiculously high light, to sit on the edge of a chaotic flow. It will climb over the edge of your tank apparently and just go for a walk across your carpet just for kicks.

Spend some time on the internet. This is a forum for nano reefs. We do not keep ritteri anemones in our tanks. Because we can't.

@GunslingerGirlI don't think you are being rude. ? 

Very spot on.

I completely agree.

We are here to help but each hobbiest needs to take responsibility and time to do real research. 

There's no excuse for not doing research because ppl have Google now. No need to buy books or go to a library, it's right at ones fingertips.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DominicDuffy said:

You were told when you first stated you'd added the nem about the importance of researching ALL livestock before adding it to the tank. Furthermore, people HAVE been telling you about the anemone's requirements from the beginning and telling you your tank is inappropriate for it. You're the one who refuses to listen or do your own research on the subject. We're happy to help answer questions you can't easily find the answers to, but a simple Google search would give you an idea of what the nem requires and would have told you right off the bat that you shouldn't have taken it. We aren't going to do all of your homework for you. That's not what we're here for.

• Like 1
Newtothehobby

I would call all of the pet stores in your area and tell them you have a nem ask them if they want it. Offer to pay them for taking  it. The longer you have the longer it will suffer it is alive and can feel. You could also place adds online and I bet it would sell quickly to an advanced reefer with a large tank and more expirence. Listen to the people who have previously given you advice.

Register on Reefcentral and offer it. I'm sure someone will take it there's a lot of people with big setups. Get a BTA instead. Looks very nice and super hardy, as well as more adapted for your tank.

Hi thanks everyone for the advise just put it on a reef page on Facebook and had a lot of interest hopefully will get rid of it ASAP. I’m going to do my research and get a bubble tip instead.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DominicDuffy said:

Hi thanks everyone for the advise just put it on a reef page on Facebook and had a lot of interest hopefully will get rid of it ASAP. I’m going to do my research and get a bubble tip instead.

Keep in mind you may likely have to upgrade lights for a BTA as well, but it will be better suited for your tank.

2 hours ago, DominicDuffy said:

Yeah I know that’s what happens when you don’t do enough research and make impulse buys.

Hi Dominic - I just posted in your other thread too. PLEASE upgrade the light before you think about a BTA. You are getting some wonderful advice here, remember we are beginners and when we put our questions out there on a beginners forum we are lucky to get the advice of people who take the time to answer. And yeah they’re gonna get frustrated if it looks like we are shopping for answers that we want to hear, or ignoring advice and then coming back with more problems. 

• Like 2
Newtothehobby
4 hours ago, Moorahs said:

Hi Dominic - I just posted in your other thread too. PLEASE upgrade the light before you think about a BTA. You are getting some wonderful advice here, remember we are beginners and when we put our questions out there on a beginners forum we are lucky to get the advice of people who take the time to answer. And yeah they’re gonna get frustrated if it looks like we are shopping for answers that we want to hear, or ignoring advice and then coming back with more problems. 

I totally agree.

I rescued a BTA and it's non stop maint He hasn't moved in 3 weeks and is growing fast. I'm cycling a 40g breeder as we speak and hoping he doesn't get to bug before the 40g is stable they cycle just about ended. But needs to mature....mine was white and faded when rescued but have been reading on karenssnemones online and he's beautiful....eating mysis and silversides....but I'll never do it again till my tank is mature and 100% stable. I understand the impulse buy....ive done it with blue rams, but had to take them back due to not being to keep my water soft enough. Best bet, gift the the anem. Wait a couple months upgrade lights and flirtation. Research research research. Then think about a small bta....watch melevs reef video on BTAS. VISIT karenssnemones.net Google it. And just play it slowwww. 

• Like 1
On 10/14/2017 at 10:06 AM, DominicDuffy said:

I honestly can't believe you're still asking for this information months later, when you have literallly every single answer to every single question you could possibly ask, right at your finger tips.... Use them to ask google your questions. Then read, read and read some more until you find the answer to your questions. This hobby isn't easy. No one is going to do all the hard work for you. 

Good luck, hope you can sell the anemone and do your own research on BTAs before you buy one.

• Like 1