Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Flatland's Pico Contest Tank

flatlandreefer

flatlandreefer

I added a few small zoanthid frags to the tank yesterday during my water change. I originally had green and orange zoas glued to the same frag plug which was a neat contrast. The coral placement frustrations continue, I couldn't hold the frag still long enough to let the glue cure at the bottom of the vase...I ended up knocking off the green zoas so I had to glue the zoas in separate areas. 

So far everything in the tank is looking good except for the nepthea. The nepthea seems to be closed up just as much or more than it is open. I'm going to give it a few more weeks and if I don't see improvement then I will transfer it to a different tank. 

I am am starting to see more film algae and diatoms in the tank. It is hard to vacume out all of the film algae during a water change and the leftover sits on the bottom of the tank. I am going to try to do waterchanges twice a week to help combat this issue. I also might throw on a nerite snail to help keep some of the algae at bay, not sure how big of an impact it will have.  

• Like 2
flatlandreefer
32 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Neptheas can be so cranky sometimes! Do you think it could be the lighting? Maybe the water is too clean :lol: 

I don't think the water is too clean with the algae I have showing up and the film that is on the glass by the end of the week.  There have been a few unintended changes in the tank like the flow cutting out that really seemed to make it mad for a while.  I can't help but think my lighting should be tolerable, I think neptheas can take more light than most softies and it is towards the bottom of the vase.  I really wish I had access to a PAR meter for this tank and my other nano, with out one its really just a guess there is no way of knowing.

My best guess would be its not happy with the flow in the tank.  I'm impressed how much flow the air line actually provides but maybe it's not the correct flow to really keep it happy or its still too weak and the nepthea wants to get blown around a little more?  Really i'm not sure and I have never kept a similar coral.

On 1/8/2018 at 1:40 PM, flatlandreefer said:

I don't think the water is too clean with the algae I have showing up and the film that is on the glass by the end of the week.  There have been a few unintended changes in the tank like the flow cutting out that really seemed to make it mad for a while.  I can't help but think my lighting should be tolerable, I think neptheas can take more light than most softies and it is towards the bottom of the vase.  I really wish I had access to a PAR meter for this tank and my other nano, with out one its really just a guess there is no way of knowing.

My best guess would be its not happy with the flow in the tank.  I'm impressed how much flow the air line actually provides but maybe it's not the correct flow to really keep it happy or its still too weak and the nepthea wants to get blown around a little more?  Really i'm not sure and I have never kept a similar coral.

I think in our hobby, there is a real lack of affordable (~$100) par meters! I am not smart enough to make/market one, but I am sure someone can build one and it would sell like hotcakes! Of all the technology that goes into lighting, it's still a guessing game when it comes to intensity. 

• Like 2
flatlandreefer
On 1/12/2018 at 2:47 PM, Orangutran said:

Love the corner where you have the vase... so industrial!

Ha thanks. It's in my unfinished basement on a desk that I have down there. I still need to find something to set the vase on to make things a little more photogenic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
flatlandreefer

Well I think I have made up my mind, the nepthea must come out. It really isn't doing well in the vase and I hope it should be happier in my 25. I am going to do a waterchange this afternoon so it will be removed then. 

• Like 3
flatlandreefer

The nepthea has been removed from the jar for a week now and it is still in rough shape in my main display.  I think it might be going through a shedding phase, early this morning it was showing signs of maybe making a recovery as it started to expand somewhat and open up some polyps...fingers crossed.

In the pico world things have been looking ok but not great.  Acans look good, ricordia looks good, alveopora looks good, zoas are neither happy nor completely pissed off.  My biggest issue has been the duncan, it has been closed up more than normal and just doesn't have that fully inflated look when it is open.  The duncan has been adding quite a few heads so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I raised my light up as far as it can go to see if light might be an issue.

I made a new siphon tool with some 1/2 inch rigid tubing connected to flexible tubing.  This allows me to get everything off the bottom of the vase as the hose is a bigger diameter than my previous siphon and the rigid part is actually narrower than the gravel vac that I was using so it can reach all the way to the bottom.  I'm wondering if removing everything is starting to leave my water too clean?  I am contemplating feeding a small amount of reef chili half way through the week in between my water changes to keep nutrients in the water above 0.  What has everybody else been doing as far as feeding? Are you feeding only before a water change or do you feed throughout the week? I obviously don't want nutrients to get out of control and lead to algae problems but I also need to find a balance that will work for the corals. 

• Like 1
On 1/12/2018 at 2:51 PM, Orangutran said:

I think in our hobby, there is a real lack of affordable (~$100) par meters! I am not smart enough to make/market one, but I am sure someone can build one and it would sell like hotcakes! Of all the technology that goes into lighting, it's still a guessing game when it comes to intensity. 

I think a number of reef stores will rent them, and perhaps your local reef club might go in on one.  

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I've fed like three times in the last week and a half, and I still haven't done a water change.   Everything seems pretty happy.

Cool, maybe I will try to feed small amounts a few times a week!

flatlandreefer
1 hour ago, jahnje said:

I think a number of reef stores will rent them, and perhaps your local reef club might go in on one.  

My problem is I live in a rural area 3 hours away from Denver, the closest reef club and stores, so I'm not sure if renting is an option. 

flatlandreefer

It would be kind of neat if there was a par meter rental on this forum where you would get charged the cost of the meter and shipping when you were renting it and then when you sent it to the next person you would get reimbursed the cost of the meter minus shipping. I can foresee issues with the meter getting damage and a few other things that could prevent it from working in reality though. 

• 2 weeks later...