Innovative Marine Aquariums

Flatland's Pico Contest Tank

flatlandreefer

flatlandreefer
4 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

In that case, freaky! I can't think of a way for water to evaporate that would trick the logic programmed into the ATO, but I've also got some post-concussion nonsense going on so I'll leave this mystery for someone else :P 

I thought maybe salt creep was causing it to stick but the float was completely bottomed out and even if I pulled the float by had the pump still wouldn't kick on.  I'm just glad it failed to kick on instead of failing to kick off!

flatlandreefer

My jar is processing ammonia quickly and nitrites are getting lower so hopefully in a day or two it will be ready for a Guinea pig coral.  I think I will throw in a green ricordia that is kind of out of place in my main display and only cost $5 as the first member of the jar.  

• Like 5
flatlandreefer

I just completed my first waterchange. I will probably put the Ricardia in in a few hours, I still need to let my water get back down to temp because my water change bucket was running a little warm. 

3EDFBFD1-CEE2-40BC-A6E0-362C07A71B7E.jpg

• Like 3
flatlandreefer

I added the green Ricordia a few days ago and so far it seems to be doing fine. Today I glued an orange button coral (actually I'm not entirely sure what it is) to the rock work and so far so good. 

I have a few other pieces in my main tank that I am waiting to add. I should be going by a LFS tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to pick up a few more additions. 

CE05D6DA-19FC-4701-9B11-2CF76FE40A58.jpg

307520E9-BB1C-429E-AE6B-402E374EB5C8.jpg

• Like 7
flatlandreefer
Just now, pj86 said:

I really like the shape of your reef vase. Those optics look amazing!

Thanks!  So far I am happy with it, there isn't nearly as much distortion as I though there would be. 

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

So it begins! What sorts of coral frags are you hoping to find for it next?

Goniopora, small fox coral, trumpet, xenia(maybe), elegance(maybe), green nepthea(number one on the list), duncan.  I want some fleshy LPS that can really fill in the tank when they are fully inflated.  We will see what I can find, usually I end up walking out of the LFS with at least one thing that I had no intentions of buying but cant resist. 

3 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

The coral you got is a Western Australia button scoly, which has recently become a craze in the states. I guess we have had em here for a while.

Thanks for the id.  This is one example of walking out of the LFS with an unintended purchase.  Do you know how big these scolys can get?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, flatlandreefer said:

Goniopora, small fox coral, trumpet, xenia(maybe), elegance(maybe), green nepthea(number one on the list), duncan.  I want some fleshy LPS that can really fill in the tank when they are fully inflated.  We will see what I can find, usually I end up walking out of the LFS with at least one thing that I had no intentions of buying but cant resist. 

Thanks for the id.  This is one example of walking out of the LFS with an unintended purchase.  Do you know how big these scolys can get?

That selection of coral should look real good in the vase.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz
21 hours ago, flatlandreefer said:

they stay quite small I guess, I don't think it gets nearly as big as the classic scoly 

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

Just got back from the LFS 3.5 hours away. I ended up getting a Duncan, small alveopora, green nepthea, montipora setosa(not for my vase), and a really neat acan that I will probably put in my main display and move one of my other acans to the vase. 

The nepthea is already in the vase, all others will be slowly added over a few days so I don't overload the system.  I will post some pics tomorrow when things open up...fingers crossed. 

• Like 3
flatlandreefer

Here are a few pics just after the lights came on in my main tank this morning. I have had the blasto for a few weeks and it will go in the vase. The alveopora(best pic I could get given the lighting) and Duncan are also going to the vase as well. 

1DD7F990-F3AE-463D-9A74-EAC4831723E1.jpg

AFAEA0BE-ADF5-43FE-BCB5-844E68F22AB4.jpg

3FD600B1-E35D-4E08-A5A9-421E7BAF36E5.jpg

239A9501-D0D1-4C85-9088-12A0BBB371C5.jpg

• Like 5
Thunder Goose
On 11/7/2017 at 8:33 PM, flatlandreefer said:

I thought maybe salt creep was causing it to stick but the float was completely bottomed out and even if I pulled the float by had the pump still wouldn't kick on.  I'm just glad it failed to kick on instead of failing to kick off!

I've had the same issue with mine. I just wiggle the wire connected to the float mechanism and it turns back on. I'm not real happy about it but I also have tried to troubleshoot the source of the problem yet.

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
4 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

I've had the same issue with mine. I just wiggle the wire connected to the float mechanism and it turns back on. I'm not real happy about it but I also have tried to troubleshoot the source of the problem yet.

Ever since I wrote that post it has been working so hopefully it doesn't happen again! It is pretty frustrating, let me know if you do figure out why it was happening! 

I am also thinking it would be a good idea to back up my air pump in case the power goes out while I am not home. Does anybody know if some sort of UPS could keep an air pump going for several hours? I know they don't work very well for powerheads. 

Christopher Marks

A UPS battery backup would probably work for awhile with just an air pump, but the alarm will be screaming the whole time LOL. One of these USB powered air pumps could work in a pinch, coupled with a USB battery pack meant to charge phones. https://www.ebay.com/p/USB-5v-Ultra-Quiet-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Oxygen-Air-Pump-Solar-Powered-AC-DC-K5p4/9004007468

flatlandreefer
8 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

A UPS battery backup would probably work for awhile with just an air pump, but the alarm will be screaming the whole time LOL. One of these USB powered air pumps could work in a pinch, coupled with a USB battery pack meant to charge phones. https://www.ebay.com/p/USB-5v-Ultra-Quiet-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Oxygen-Air-Pump-Solar-Powered-AC-DC-K5p4/9004007468

I really want something that would kick on automatically when there is an interruption of power.  I have a battery powered air pump that I could stick in the jar if I was home but I am worried about being out of town and the power getting knocked out for a few hours.

• Like 3

Why don't you put a battery-powered air pump on the tank but add it in with a y-valve and a check valve?  That way it's perminantly on the tank in case.of an outage, and you don't have to be home to add it. 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Rene said:

Why don't you put a battery-powered air pump on the tank but add it in with a y-valve and a check valve?  That way it's perminantly on the tank in case.of an outage, and you don't have to be home to add it. 

Thats what I have on the seahorse tank because oxygen in the water column is so critical for ponies.

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

Maybe I will get something like THIS and either run it as my air-pump or tee it in as an backup air pump.  Should have done a little more research when I bough my air-pump in the first place. 

flatlandreefer

I added the goni/alveopora, blasto, and Duncan yesterday. Those three seem to be doing well. The nepthea seems to be struggling in the low flow environment, I will give it a week or so and if things don't get better I will put it in my main display. I need to get a small glass cleaner to keep the glass clean, the bottom 1/3 where it curves is almost impossible to keep clear of a thin layer of detritus and really effects pictures and viewing coral. 

CD192A34-9751-4B8C-9F5A-4CA8086B6033.jpg

F9556455-7378-461D-8076-B02AA04AEFED.jpg

• Like 3

Hi!  I can't seem to locate your photo of your empty container with your favorite condiment.  Can you pm it to me please?  I'm working on putting together the FTS thread and am starting with all the contest entry photos.

Also, just a reminder to please pm me your November full tank shot (FTS) along with a link to your build thread by the end of the day on November 30th.

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
1 hour ago, Felicia said:

Hi!  I can't seem to locate your photo of your empty container with your favorite condiment.  Can you pm it to me please?  I'm working on putting together the FTS thread and am starting with all the contest entry photos.

Also, just a reminder to please pm me your November full tank shot (FTS) along with a link to your build thread by the end of the day on November 30th.

PM has been sent with the empty pic, I'm not sure what happened to the pic I had in my original post. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

PM has been sent with the empty pic, I'm not sure what happened to the pic I had in my original post. 

Thank you!  No worries!  I know you had the photo up originally. :)

• Like 1