Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ashley's 32G Biocube (The Sea Shell Motel)

AshleyH

Corals are looking very nice!  You never now what they will go for.  I want to add something for them in the 65.  I now have two frogspawns in there and t hey are not interested.  I have a tube anemone because I love the colors, and I understand that is not for them, but darn if they did not try.  Swollen lips for a day.  Looking now for a red bta.  I have a few btas in the 32, but I wanted something different.

• Like 1

Ok I attempted to target feed my alveopora 3 days ago, which had been doing very well all along. I used Seachem phytoplankton (I also have occasionally in the past), and as soon as I lightly wafted the stuff out of my turkey baster my alveopora retracted its polyps. Now it's been P.O.'d for 3 days. All polyps still retracted completely. I also did a water change that day as well. 

Not sure why it got so scared from a simple feeding (come on! lol), but all the other tank inhabitants are doing apprently well. Going to do a water test tomorrow night...

Any thoughts?

This guy is extra salty

I accidentally “target” one of my corals with phytoplankton once... never again.

for phytoplankton it’s better to dose your tank so it is “evenly” distributed throughout the water column. You will have a night vs. day response, your micro fauna will definitely love it.

and sorry to say you might lose that coral...

goodluck

This guy is extra salty

Well it can (sort of speech) think in the ocean the amount of phytoplankton that is “free swimming” is such a diluted amount in comparison to the concentrated amount that Ashley blasted her coral with. It is more than likely caused its flesh to burn. Hence the polyp recession for the past couple days...

@AshleyH would you please reply with a picture of the coral in question?

Well that is sad news indeed. I am hardly ever home when the lights are on, so here it is at "night"

IMG_4641.thumb.JPG.55ac46eaa044e28188d8672fc2602ec0.JPG

And here is a sneaky photo of Burt who hides from the camera (just for fun)IMG_4642.thumb.JPG.13fd1e4dadad333f3da87ed196b5b438.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! We added the final member to our tank... a coral beauty angelfish we named Ophelia. She immediately got along well with all the tank's critters. They have been happily coexisting for a week now. My husband also added some pulsing xenias, but they haven't made a great recovery after the stress of dipping then adding to the tank. Hopefully they come back to health soon.

The husband also got me a 4 stage RO/DI unit from BRS for Christmas, so I don't need to go to the LFS for my water anymore :) Still doing water changes weekly and siphoning the sand.

We're going to set it up this weekend. Good things happening here....

Excuse the fuzzy water, just cleaned the sand bed. 

Ophelia.thumb.JPG.7dc4ef34d4d6d5e98af5c533635dcfc5.JPG

• Like 4

Want to read something crazy?

Today we shut the pump/powerheads off to feed some rotifers to the coral and a few minutes into it...a WORM slithered out from my live rock. Holy hell! How could this have hid in my tank unseen for 3 months! This was no small worm... it is a monster worm. 

Unfortunately I was in too much of a panic to get a clear photo of it, but I have a blurry video. Is this a bristle worm or a fire worm? How do you tell the difference? Not able to find any good sources online....

What should I do? I've read both good/bad things about them. Maybe thats why my emerald crab supposedly died?

Side note... I have found a couple bubble algae balls, which I have scraped away.

Let's count how many crazy things can happen to one tank and a newbie in 3 months....:eek:

On 12/5/2017 at 7:00 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Nice additions!  I have heard that CBS can be jerks.  There are yellow (not the gold) and blue varieties that are smaller and supposed to be more peaceful.

Wanted to add I recently got a blue CBS and he has hid ever since. :rolleyes: And he's in a 2g jar!  Sheesh.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:49 PM, AshleyH said:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! We added the final member to our tank... a coral beauty angelfish we named Ophelia. She immediately got along well with all the tank's critters. They have been happily coexisting for a week now. My husband also added some pulsing xenias, but they haven't made a great recovery after the stress of dipping then adding to the tank. Hopefully they come back to health soon.

The husband also got me a 4 stage RO/DI unit from BRS for Christmas, so I don't need to go to the LFS for my water anymore :) Still doing water changes weekly and siphoning the sand.

We're going to set it up this weekend. Good things happening here....

Excuse the fuzzy water, just cleaned the sand bed. 

Ophelia.thumb.JPG.7dc4ef34d4d6d5e98af5c533635dcfc5.JPG

Beautiful fishes! :wub:

13 minutes ago, AshleyH said:

Want to read something crazy?

Today we shut the pump/powerheads off to feed some rotifers to the coral and a few minutes into it...a WORM slithered out from my live rock. Holy hell! How could this have hid in my tank unseen for 3 months! This was no small worm... it is a monster worm. 

Unfortunately I was in too much of a panic to get a clear photo of it, but I have a blurry video. Is this a bristle worm or a fire worm? How do you tell the difference? Not able to find any good sources online....

What should I do? I've read both good/bad things about them. Maybe thats why my emerald crab supposedly died?

Side note... I have found a couple bubble algae balls, which I have scraped away.

Let's count how many crazy things can happen to one tank and a newbie in 3 months....:eek:

It's hard to tell but it may well be a fireworm if it's more a solid row of thick, bushy bristles rather than little tufts along the sides.  Eek!  I'd freak out too!

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

yeah that's a good size bristleworm 

most people will tell you they are ok but i've always hated those things, they creep me out.  i had a couple that got very large in my last reef.  i've never been stung by one but they pack quite a punch from what i hear and i have zero intentions of finding out :wacko:

• Like 1

This morning Burt (the TSB) had bristles sticking out of his chin! Poor little guy. I made a makeshift bristleworm trap but no luck so far.... 

No one hurts my fishes :angry: This war is on.

• Like 1

So far I have not seen the bristle worm again, but I added two corals- a purple rhodactis mushroom and a HUGE torch coral and a skunk cleaner shrimp. The torch is seriously bigger than I thought it would be now that it is in my tank, but it is beautiful :) I'm hoping the clowns take to it since there were clowns playing in it at the LFS.

I added some pictures and videos. I don't know about you, but I'm a sucker for the super macro shots... You really get to see more than the naked eye would.

Enjoy!

mushroom.JPG

torch.JPG

shrimp.JPG

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Mostly failed attempt at: DIY media basket

Used:

-egg crate

-thin sheets of plexiglass 

-zip ties

-100% of my patience 

It's not perfect, but better than the stock basket. I'll suck it up and buy the InTank basket soon, but I'm forcing myself to use this since I spent the money on the supplies. I tried to silicone the plexiglass together. I don't suggest this unless you want to lose your mind ?

Featured inside:

-filter fiber

-aquavitro purfiltrum

-chemipure-blue

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4765.JPG

• Like 2

Having issues with the corals- the smaller original torch coral I had died and the larger one I just got is half dead. The brain doesn't want to open up. 

Going through an extensive list of problem solving here... 

Linking to this thread I started just to keep my journal updated. Hopefully this is a phase that passes soon.

We returned the coral beauty angelfish to the store as she was pecking many of our corals constantly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 12:10 AM, ThomasF said:

Any updates? Has your tank stabilized??

Sorry have been very busy over here!

It seems to have stabilized. I've taken a step back from the two part dosing in case that was an issue. 

The torch coral died completely. The other corals are doing quite well. My leather is huge and has the polyps extended all the time now. LFS owner felt bad about my loss and gave me a small orange acan, which is doing alright so far. Xenias are growing large.

I have a sad update though:

Burt died yesterday ?

The past week or so he stopped eating much and looked a bit thinner. Two days before he died we noticed his tail fin looked slightly shredded. We left for the weekend with my sister house sitting. When we got back we went to the LFS to buy a variety of foods, but Burt was missing when we got home. I found his half eaten corpse under a rock.

Water tests  were normal yesterday. Still doing weekly water changes, but I'm having a bit of green hair algae growing in one corner I tried to scrub off in a waste bucket.

We are very saddened by Burt's and my torch corals death. Continuing to take it a step at a time! 

• Sad 2