Top Shelf Aquatics

Hanna Phosphate vs Phosphorus Checkers.... Opinions please

Oldsalt01

Get the Ultra Low Phosphorous checker, and then google phosphorous to phosphate conversion chart. Very simple and gets you a very precise measurement in ppm

On 10/26/2017 at 5:24 PM, Oldsalt01 said:

Thank you, my friend. I found the Hanna conversion chart, which confused me even more: 59ppb=0,181. Means diddly to me as I don't recall using comma's in chemistry class. But then I was more interested in Ellen Beach's chest (my chemistry class partner), than I was about chemistry. Just sayin.

There is not a comma on that document, it reads .181 ppm

50 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

U want it in PPB? Sure: 30PPB ULP = 0.091 PPM PO4

I was just voting, recommending for the Ultra Low Phosphorus (PPB) checker ;)  That's the one I have and I love it.

28 minutes ago, rsucre said:

I was just voting, recommending for the Ultra Low Phosphorus (PPB) checker ;)  That's the one I have and I love it.

Me too! Perhaps I was not clear. Obviously, I need to figure out where the Nitrates are coming from. If I understand basic chemistry the Nitrates drive the PO4 levels. I'm going to do a hefty water change to get them down and go from there. Please correct me if I'm in error.:unsure:

2 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Me too! Perhaps I was not clear. Obviously, I need to figure out where the Nitrates are coming from. If I understand basic chemistry the Nitrates drive the PO4 levels. I'm going to do a hefty water change to get them down and go from there. Please correct me if I'm in error.:unsure:

I do not believe Nitrates contribute to PO4 levels, however the same thing that causes high nitrates will cause high phosphate (overfeeding)

(CH2O)106(NH3)16(H3PO4) + 138 O2 à 106 CO2 + 122 H2O + 19 H+ + PO4--- + 16 NO3-

organic + oxygen à carbon dioxide + water + hydrogen ion + phosphate + nitrate