inTank Media Baskets

Reef safe glue for corals

Lugmos12

What do you use to glue your corals to the liverock?

Epoxy is too messy for me. I tried using Seachem and it's very weak; my candy cane has fallen twice this week.

WillWork4Frags

I too have experienced this nightmare with epoxy.  I personally use the following adhesives with good success: BRS super thick super glue gel, Gorilla Glue gel, and the Loctite gel mentioned above.  They're all cyanoacrylate based and therefore activate immediately when  in contact with water.   

To use it, you'll want to apply the glue--outside of the water--to either the frag plug or the stony part of the coral (if LPS).  Next bring the frag underwater and attach to the rock by pressing and slightly twisting it--this makes the glue spread and creates a thin layer between the frag plug and the rock.  You'll want to hold it in place for about 20 seconds to allow the glue to "cure." 

The main advantages of "super glues" over the epoxy  are: a.) it doesn't make your skimmer go crazy, and b.) it has a relatively quick cure time.

An important tip: do not submerge the glue tip underwater!  I've made this mistake myself and it clogged the tip!

Here's a good video that really helped me:

Good luck!

fishfreak0114

I use whatever brand of reef safe glue I have at the time and make a glue-epoxy-glue sandwich.  I find just epoxy doesn't stick well enough, and with just glue there isn't enough material to really secure it to the rock.  the epoxy smooshes into all the holes really well, but the glue makes it actually stick.

8 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I use whatever brand of reef safe glue I have at the time and make a glue-epoxy-glue sandwich.  I find just epoxy doesn't stick well enough, and with just glue there isn't enough material to really secure it to the rock.  the epoxy smooshes into all the holes really well, but the glue makes it actually stick.

so like @cju84 said?

Thrassian Atoll

I use loctite super gel.  I heard there is a newer product out there though from one of the online vendors that binds super fast.  I really want to try that.  

I like to glue my frags on to frag plugs first, and then cut the stem off and glue the plug

to my rock work.  That way I can move them around the tank later if needed before they encrust on to the live rock.

1 hour ago, TILTON said:

I use loctite super gel.  I heard there is a newer product out there though from one of the online vendors that binds super fast.  I really want to try that.  

I like to glue my frags on to frag plugs first, and then cut the stem off and glue the plug

to my rock work.  That way I can move them around the tank later if needed before they encrust on to the live rock.

that's the same method I use. I hate stems on frag plugs.

Dougefresh35

Look I have used many different types of super glue gels from many different types of companys over the years and never have had a problem the so called "Reef safe" super glue is nothing more than a marketing ploy. 

• 3 weeks later...

PCL thermoplastic from Amazon (aka Reef Weld).  You heat it up in hot water til its soft, then work it like playdoh, as it cools, it hardens up.  No mixing chemicals, no sticky mess, nothing leaches out and it's re-meltable if you screw up and need to do it again.  You can also color it or mix it with sand to make it camouflage.

Super glue gel + stick epoxy putty (general/pool use)

The epoxy stick is a cement epoxy and the superglue gel holds it in place. Removable and easy to use. Only downside is it is very white when it is new. Over time it blends in.

MainelyReefer

Super glue products only, I had a filefish once and lost him and as far as I could tell it correlated with the use of the epoxy type adhesives.  I would put frags in and he would get all wonky.  Really want to try reef weld 

I use reef welder- awesome stuff.

Or gel crazy glue (cyanoacrylate only)

Depends on what and where I am glueing so I choose either one. 

I used to use reef epoxy but after trying many and not really loving any of them- messy, stinky, a lot of waste and frustrating. 

SelectedByNature

For gluing down frags to rock I use the epoxy sandwich method with the Ecotech brand glue which is less expensive than you would think and works excellently. (The nozzle doesn't clog, the product dispenses and solidifies nicely.) 

For gluing down small pieces (i.e.  zoas onto a frag), I love Lepage control glue which dispenses the glue in a small amount and with pinpoint accuracy. This glue, while amazing, is expensive. 

Thrassian Atoll

I just tried the BRS glue and I am not a fan.  As soon as I stick a frag in the water it starts curing and doesn't stick to the rocks very well.

1 hour ago, SelectedByNature said:

For gluing down frags to rock I use the epoxy sandwich method with the Ecotech brand glue which is less expensive than you would think and works excellently. (The nozzle doesn't clog, the product dispenses and solidifies nicely.) 

For gluing down small pieces (i.e.  zoas onto a frag), I love Lepage control glue which dispenses the glue in a small amount and with pinpoint accuracy. This glue, while amazing, is expensive. 

It is ridulously priced for the tiny amount you get. I stopped using it for that reason.

It's cyanoacrylate. It's paying for a name and package Not the ingredients.

I buy dollar store glue. I get 5 packs for the same price as 1 brand name...and works great.

Just now, Clown79 said:

It is ridulously priced for the tiny amount you get. I stopped using it for that reason.

I buy dollar store glue. I get 5 packs for the same price as 1 brand name...and works great.

Yup I use gorrila super glue gel and I get it from Walmart. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TILTON said:

I just tried the BRS glue and I am not a fan.  As soon as I stick a frag in the water it starts curing and doesn't stick to the rocks very well.

go to home depot. they have a reef safe glue for cheap 

SelectedByNature
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

100% agree you're paying for the package, which is overpriced. For gluing single polyps down for frag grow-out and how often I do it though, I love the ease of use of the Lepage stuff.

Is the dollarstore stuff packaging the typical metal tube like container? I find those undesirable and wasteful in my personal experience (even though you make up for the waste 5:1 with it being inexpensive).

Thrassian Atoll
41 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

go to home depot. they have a reef safe glue for cheap 

I bought some ice glue too to try.  I usually use loctite gel but that stuff gets expensive quick.