Cultivated Reef

Prime HD AI

JayMarbz

7 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

I have the Prime HD over my EVO 13.5 at about 9.5" from the surface. Great little light that can really pack a punch. I am still figuring out the perfect settings for my tank and recently had a little bleaching on some SPS that are higher up in the tank (monti cap and SSC specifically) so I just changed up my lighting schedule yesterday. I was running a 12 hr total photoperiod with a four hour ramp up/down and four hour peak period. With blues at 75%, violets 65%, red and green 20%, and clear white 30%. I think it was a combination of the four hr peak intensity uninterrupted and having the light intensity set to high that led to the bleaching.

Yesterday I set up the schedule below with the peaks and valleys during peak hours to simulate passing cloud cover and break up the intensity of the peak period. I have seen some other Prime HD users report success with this on other forums so I am going to give a shot. 

New schedule peak

i1SRFQo.png

New schedule valley

Ynmu6GR.png

I like this idea of making the schedule seem to stimulate cloud coverage.  Just my 2cents but I think you should make the valleys "steeper"  and what I mean by that is make the ramping time of each "cloud" shorter.  Make it so that it decreases in light quicker and increases again quicker, rather than a slow ramping.  But that's just something I'd do with mine, don't take this advice as something to improve coral health or growth, I just think it would stimulate nature a little more.

edit:  Mybe even make a valley within the valley :)  By that I mean; at the bottom of some of the "valleys" add a "mountain" going about halfway back up!

2 hours ago, Dreichler said:

I like this idea of making the schedule seem to stimulate cloud coverage.  Just my 2cents but I think you should make the valleys "steeper"  and what I mean by that is make the ramping time of each "cloud" shorter.  Make it so that it decreases in light quicker and increases again quicker, rather than a slow ramping.  But that's just something I'd do with mine, don't take this advice as something to improve coral health or growth, I just think it would stimulate nature a little more.

edit:  Mybe even make a valley within the valley :)  By that I mean; at the bottom of some of the "valleys" add a "mountain" going about halfway back up!

So increase the intervals to 15 minutes instead of 30, or drop the intensity more than 20% in the valleys? 

SelectedByNature
22 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Cloud cover is part of it. Reefbuilders has a great article on David Saxby's tank, which talks about his lighting. They also have a pretty good video on Jason Fox's tanks, in which he talks about his lighting theory. 

Each tank is different, but from a distance (and again I'm new to this hobby as well), your green and reds seem high in comparison to everything else, which may promote algae (and if Jason Fox is to be believed dull the colors of your coral). 

Awesome that's helpful I'll check out those resources. Where did you come across the red and green dulling coral coloration? What ratio is suggested (like running red and green at 10% the intensity of blue (for example)? (e.g. blue @ 40% = red/green @ 4%)

5 minutes ago, SelectedByNature said:

Awesome that's helpful I'll check out those resources. Where did you come across the red and green dulling coral coloration? What ratio is suggested (like running red and green at 10% the intensity of blue (for example)? (e.g. blue @ 40% = red/green @ 4%)

That little nugget was in the video about Jason Fox, I linked the video above, it's about halfway through. I don't have an scientific information backing that claim up, however, as Jason Fox is one of the best in the game,he must be doing something right, right? I like your ratio idea, but don't have a good answer (nor am I any sort of Number's Viking, even the thought of sums and figures gives me a rash). Furthermore,  I'm definitely not qualified to even hint at one. Essentially, ifthere were Boy Scout badges for reef keeping, the only patch I would have at this point would be the "At least you didn't kill everything today, or burn down the house merit badge." It would be affectionately know as the ALYDKETOBDTHMB for short. If there were badges for taco eating, however, my uniform would look like Audy Murphy's. 

• Like 2
SelectedByNature
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

That little nugget was in the video about Jason Fox, I linked the video above, it's about halfway through. I don't have an scientific information backing that claim up, however, as Jason Fox is one of the best in the game,he must be doing something right, right? I like your ratio idea, but don't have a good answer (nor am I any sort of Number's Viking, even the thought of sums and figures gives me a rash). Furthermore,  I'm definitely not qualified to even hint at one. Essentially, ifthere were Boy Scout badges for reef keeping, the only patch I would have at this point would be the "At least you didn't kill everything today, or burn down the house merit badge." It would be affectionately know as the ALYDKETOBDTHMB for short. If there were badges for taco eating, however, my uniform would look like Audy Murphy's. 

While the fog around my initial question remains, the clarity about you shined in nicely. :D

I'll watch the video when I get home though!

On 10/20/2017 at 5:33 PM, TheBig053 said:

So increase the intervals to 15 minutes instead of 30, or drop the intensity more than 20% in the valleys? 

Yes you can increase the interval times.  By adding another valley I mean take the point where the valley is at its deepest, and make a point 10% to 15% above the deepest point.  So it makes a small mountain inside of the valley.  Like if a valley is a "V" make it a "W" but the middle point of the "W" only goes halfway back up

• 3 weeks later...

When I get in tonight I will try and figure that out.  I added a bit of white as a personal preference.  I may have to cut back an hour or two on the run.  I have to clean the glass once a day.  With my 32 on the other side of the couch I can always tell if one is not crystal clear.  But I will send the file as is currently.  For filtration, I have a r-100 sump/refugium.  It was working fine, however to polish the water I added ChemiPur elite at the end of last week.  Since starting the tank I have not run carbon or anything else until now.  Since you asked in the pm I added that here.

12 hours ago, Flexin said:

When I get in tonight I will try and figure that out.  I added a bit of white as a personal preference.  I may have to cut back an hour or two on the run.  I have to clean the glass once a day.  With my 32 on the other side of the couch I can always tell if one is not crystal clear.  But I will send the file as is currently.  For filtration, I have a r-100 sump/refugium.  It was working fine, however to polish the water I added ChemiPur elite at the end of last week.  Since starting the tank I have not run carbon or anything else until now.  Since you asked in the pm I added that here.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to post a non photo file since the extension is not accepted on the site.  

14 hours ago, Flexin said:

I am having a hard time figuring out how to post a non photo file since the extension is not accepted on the site.  

I am glad you asked and here is why.  I thought I changed my setting but did not do it correctly.  I just made the adjustments and am now running these settings.  You can use easy setup for this and I will post the screen shortly for what I’m trying.  So even though I can’t send a file here, the picture will give you all the information.  Thanks again for bringing this up and I look forward to seeing how this goes. I will also see how the algae does on the glass.  It already looks better with this setting but it’s ramping down. I will have to see it full on over the next few days.

Here is the easy setup screen shot

F6711B43-A9EA-4D9E-8DA5-F2F54C971E56.png

7 hours ago, Flexin said:

I am glad you asked and here is why.  I thought I changed my setting but did not do it correctly.  I just made the adjustments and am now running these settings.  You can use easy setup for this and I will post the screen shortly for what I’m trying.  So even though I can’t send a file here, the picture will give you all the information.  Thanks again for bringing this up and I look forward to seeing how this goes. I will also see how the algae does on the glass.  It already looks better with this setting but it’s ramping down. I will have to see it full on over the next few days.

Here is the easy setup screen shot

F6711B43-A9EA-4D9E-8DA5-F2F54C971E56.png

Thank you very much for all your help.  It will do. Just trying to try a few different settings.  

With this settings are you getting algae? And are you getting coraline?  Thanks 

I have been running two Prime HDs on my IM 20 for about a year and have had really good success.  I recently was headed north on my UV to match the BRS video and AB+ settings for a change but have decided to upgrade the tank.  

For most of the year I ran this

UV - 25%

B- 85%

RB -85%

V - 85%

R - 4%

G - 4%

W - 25%

Green and red spectrum just don't penetrate the ocean.  

Fusion FTS - August.jpg

Fusion 20 side.jpg

Tank January 1.jpg

AI Primes HD.jpg

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, HairyGary said:

I have been running two Prime HDs on my IM 20 for about a year and have had really good success.  I recently was headed north on my UV to match the BRS video and AB+ settings for a change but have decided to upgrade the tank.  

UV - 25%

B- 85%

RB -85%

V - 85%

R - 4%

G - 4%

W - 25%

Fusion FTS - August.jpg

Fusion 20 side.jpg

Tank January 1.jpg

fantastic tank. I have same 20 fusion i will try to follow your great job. Have you been algae free?  Thanks 

8 hours ago, rbargante said:

Thank you very much for all your help.  It will do. Just trying to try a few different settings.  

With this settings are you getting algae? And are you getting coraline?  Thanks 

The new settings from BRS have only been actually running a little less than a day.  I will check in again in a few weeks to discuss progress.  

1 hour ago, HairyGary said:

UV - 25%

B- 85%

RB -85%

V - 85%

R - 4%

G - 4%

W - 25%

I was wondering why the BRS setting had low to no R and G, thank you.  

Visually, I really like the result.  if I have problems with algae I will simply cut back how long the tank is lit.  This has been great because me sliding the colors back and fourth was really a crap shoot to find something that looked good and that would work.  I will see how well it works, but so far I visually like the look.  I will have to post an updated photo for the new tank with these lights.  For someone new to lights with so much flexibility, this thread has been great.

4 hours ago, rbargante said:
5 hours ago, HairyGary said:

UV - 25%

B- 85%

RB -85%

V - 85%

R - 4%

G - 4%

W - 25%

Fusion FTS - August.jpg

Fusion 20 side.jpg

Tank January 1.jpg

fantastic tank. I have same 20 fusion i will try to follow your great job. Have you been algae free?  Thanks 

Aside from purple coralline on the glass I have had small bouts of bubble on occasion

29 minutes ago, HairyGary said:

Aside from purple coralline on the glass I have had small bouts of bubble on occasion

:Dthanks im trying to get coraline too. thank you for all the information

On 11/14/2017 at 5:50 PM, HairyGary said:

UV - 25%

B- 85%

RB -85%

V - 85%

R - 4%

G - 4%

W - 25%

Fusion FTS - August.jpg

Fusion 20 side.jpg

Tank January 1.jpg

AI Primes HD.jpg

sorry to be a pain mine is the normal prime and setting are this ones

DR = deep red
V = violet
DB = deep blue
UV = ultra violet 
CW = cool white
GR = green
B = blue

on your you have this RB -85% ? can you tell me what color is this? thanks

43 minutes ago, rbargante said:

sorry to be a pain mine is the normal prime and setting are this ones

DR = deep red
V = violet
DB = deep blue
UV = ultra violet 
CW = cool white
GR = green
B = blue

on your you have this RB -85% ? can you tell me what color is this? thanks

Royal Blue

2 hours ago, HairyGary said:

Royal Blue

fantastic. i will take it as DB = deep blue .. im doing same settigs as you. ive been asking for some settings to other members but because you have same tank as me i decided to follow your settings.

6 hours ago, rbargante said:

fantastic. i will take it as DB = deep blue .. im doing same settigs as you. ive been asking for some settings to other members but because you have same tank as me i decided to follow your settings.

BRS has a video on matching the Primes to the Radion AB+ program. Don’t think you can do it with non HD Primes but you could get close. Remember to move the percentages slowly for your corals to acclimate. 

16 hours ago, HairyGary said:

BRS has a video on matching the Primes to the Radion AB+ program. Don’t think you can do it with non HD Primes but you could get close. Remember to move the percentages slowly for your corals to acclimate. 

thank you

HairyGary

• 1 month later...

An update, I changed my settings yesterday from the BRS example we discussed above.  The SPS at the top did not like the settings.  Trying a new setting.  I found this in a magazine and wanted to share.  Select the people then you can see their tanks and download their settings.  Going with Karen's since it was an AI Prime and I liked the early morning color and the evening settings have made everything pop in my tank.  Hope you find this helpful.  

http://aquaillumination.com/signature/

• 10 months later...