Pod Your Reef

Prime HD AI

JayMarbz

Anyone familiar with this light? I have it hanging over my Nuvo 20 (about 8"). I can not find anything online about what % each spectrum of light should be at mid day. I've asked shops, online and YouTubers but no one can give some real answers. I've had my tank stocked for going on 2 months. SPS, Anemone and Clown Fish. Before I add more coral, id like to get the opinion of someone up and running this light successfully for 6 months and beyond. Thanks- Jay

Attached are my current settings and some pics of my tank

Screenshot_20171007-212317.png

Screenshot_20171007-205903.png

Not sure if it's the HD but @gena has used an AI Prime over her 20-then-10 gallon tank.  Check out her 10 fusion for some gorgeous pics. :) I know a fair number of other people have used AI Primes as well and have been very happy with them.  There is some element of choice in what settings you'll use.  Some like bluer, some like whiter.  Have you tried searching for tanks of people using these lights to see if they posted their settings?

reef2reef, some of the users have settings you can load.  I need to look into that also today.  Having so many options makes it difficult.  Just cut back on the overall intensity depending on that size of their tanks there.

12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Not sure if it's the HD but @gena has used an AI Prime over her 20-then-10 gallon tank.  Check out her 10 fusion for some gorgeous pics. :) I know a fair number of other people have used AI Primes as well and have been very happy with them.  There is some element of choice in what settings you'll use.  Some like bluer, some like whiter.  Have you tried searching for tanks of people using these lights to see if they posted their settings?

No but I will. Thanks for the advice!

11 hours ago, 03glide said:

BRS TV was a video on the Al Pime HD

I'll have to check it out. They have settings that would be a good starting point?

10 hours ago, Flexin said:

reef2reef, some of the users have settings you can load.  I need to look into that also today.  Having so many options makes it difficult.  Just cut back on the overall intensity depending on that size of their tanks there.

Right on. I'll check it out. Thank you

• Like 1

I've had 3 Primes for 3 years now and I really like them.  Your light should be on for about 10-12 hours a day.  Here's how I have mine over my JBJ45:

Blues, Red, Purple, Green, and UV all come on at 9AM and ramp up to 80% from 9AM to 12PM and stay at 80% from 12PM to 3PM.  Then ramp back down from 80% to 0% from 4PM to 9PM. 

Whites come on at 11AM and ramp up to 45% at 1PM and stay at 45% until 4PM and then begin to ramp down from 45% from 4PM to 6PM.  

So my Blues and other colors are on for 12 hours total while my whites are on for 5 hours total.  

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Dreichler said:

I've had 3 Primes for 3 years now and I really like them.  Your light should be on for about 10-12 hours a day.  Here's how I have mine over my JBJ45:

Blues, Red, Purple, Green, and UV all come on at 9AM and ramp up to 80% from 9AM to 12PM and stay at 80% from 12PM to 3PM.  Then ramp back down from 80% to 0% from 4PM to 9PM. 

Whites come on at 11AM and ramp up to 45% at 1PM and stay at 45% until 4PM and then begin to ramp down from 45% from 4PM to 6PM.  

So my Blues and other colors are on for 12 hours total while my whites are on for 5 hours total.  

That's great info. Thank you very much! No issues with algea with red so high? 

ChristiansNano

I have a 40x40x45cm tank, think it is 28gallons. 

Have had the ai prime hd running over a year. Great growth on clam and softies. 

See my profile for stock.. 

Her are my settings: 

image1.PNG

image2.PNG

16 hours ago, Dreichler said:

This is almost my schedule ? you just have more whites than I do :)

18 hours ago, Dreichler said:

I was actually wondering this same thing.  @Dreichler, would you mind posting a picture of your tank?  Do you have a build thread?

22 hours ago, JayMarbz said:

That's great info. Thank you very much! No issues with algea with red so high? 

There was a period where i had a cyanobacteria issue for about a couple weeks, but increasing my flow and a daily scrubbing of the rock work with a toothbrush and daily blowing of the rock work with a turkey baster solved the problem.  I also just lowered my whites peak by 5% and it seemed to help.

3 hours ago, mr9iron said:

I was actually wondering this same thing.  @Dreichler, would you mind posting a picture of your tank?  Do you have a build thread?

I don't have a build thread and I don't have a FTS because I'm on the west coast of Florida for college and my house is on the east coast of Florida but if you check out my instagram @reef_45g you can see all my corals and some decent shots of my tank 

https://www.instagram.com/reef_45g/

On 10/9/2017 at 1:33 AM, ChristiansNano said:

I have a 40x40x45cm tank, think it is 28gallons. 

Have had the ai prime hd running over a year. Great growth on clam and softies. 

See my profile for stock.. 

Her are my settings: 

image1.PNG

image2.PNG

Thanks!

My Prime schedule

11am -1pm ramp up

1pm to 8pm

Blue 85%

RB 85%

uv 80%

V  80%

W 24%

R 20%

G 15%

8pm-10pm ramp down

10pm to 3am lunar lighting

Blackout from 3am to 11am

• Thanks 1
On 10/9/2017 at 11:07 PM, Dreichler said:

There was a period where i had a cyanobacteria issue for about a couple weeks, but increasing my flow and a daily scrubbing of the rock work with a toothbrush and daily blowing of the rock work with a turkey baster solved the problem.  I also just lowered my whites peak by 5% and it seemed to help.

I don't have a build thread and I don't have a FTS because I'm on the west coast of Florida for college and my house is on the east coast of Florida but if you check out my instagram @reef_45g you can see all my corals and some decent shots of my tank 

https://www.instagram.com/reef_45g/

Dreichler, thank you for that.  I will take a look.

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My Prime schedule

11am -1pm ramp up

1pm to 8pm

Blue 85%

RB 85%

uv 80%

V  80%

W 24%

R 20%

G 15%

8pm-10pm ramp down

Thanks for that. You have any Anemone?

On 11/10/2017 at 10:20 PM, JayMarbz said:

Thanks for that. You have any Anemone?

No. I hve too many corals to take the chance on a nem going on the move or getting caught in the wavemaker.

I have sps and lps

On 10/11/2017 at 6:21 PM, Clown79 said:

My Prime schedule

11am -1pm ramp up

1pm to 8pm

Blue 85%

RB 85%

uv 80%

V  80%

W 24%

R 20%

G 15%

8pm-10pm ramp down

If you had just soft coral, what would you run it at? Also, when you ran these settings with the light on your last tank, did you use that bulky screen cover that came with the tank?

@xthunt

I started out the light at 35% with softies and lps. I increased every week by 5%.

I would say aim for 60-65% and see how it goes. If things are closing up or losing colour, drop it down a bit.

If things are stretching or Browning then it's not enough light.

I then did an overhaul and got rid of my softies(excluding ricordea and zoas) and added sps so I continued going up.

When I added my prime, I had eggcrate on my lid, then a diy mesh lid. I still have a diy mesh lid.

The mesh like bird netting or the brs netting effects light penetration very little unlike the eggcrate.

I found the IM stock mesh effected my lighting on my 10g so I removed it and replaced it with the brs type netting.

Clown, is the netting to keep the fish in?  On my new tank I have the glass lids on top inside the top cabinet.  I have tons of condensation on them and wonder if that affects my light making to that tank like a prism.  Maybe I’m over thinking it, but you know what it’s like starting a tank, you keep thinking and thinking lol.

I will also play with the ramp up setting.  Is that something you do every time you add a new coral or just if you replace the light on and existing tank?  Thanks for the help.

I have the Prime HD over my EVO 13.5 at about 9.5" from the surface. Great little light that can really pack a punch. I am still figuring out the perfect settings for my tank and recently had a little bleaching on some SPS that are higher up in the tank (monti cap and SSC specifically) so I just changed up my lighting schedule yesterday. I was running a 12 hr total photoperiod with a four hour ramp up/down and four hour peak period. With blues at 75%, violets 65%, red and green 20%, and clear white 30%. I think it was a combination of the four hr peak intensity uninterrupted and having the light intensity set to high that led to the bleaching.

Yesterday I set up the schedule below with the peaks and valleys during peak hours to simulate passing cloud cover and break up the intensity of the peak period. I have seen some other Prime HD users report success with this on other forums so I am going to give a shot. 

New schedule peak

i1SRFQo.png

New schedule valley

Ynmu6GR.png

I also run the AI Prime on the "David Saxby" method. The light puck is about eight inches above a Nuvo 10 with the top of the live rock about six inches below the surface of the water. Similar to @TheBig053, I have a glass lid over the tank that does collect condensation (I too am unsure how this effects things). After experiencing some slight browning with the upper most acros I have been slowly increasing the intensity of the light, which I have found to be make a significant difference The acros and other SPS are growing nicely (as is the LPS and softies lower in the tank), as well as, the clam on the sand, however, I do have to be careful to acclimate anything I bring home from LFS to prevent bleaching. Overall I have been really happy with this light, especially the wireless feature, which I can control on any number of devices. Below are some screenshots of the current schedule I am running. I am anything but an expert, but I hope this helps. 

image.thumb.png.47f268dfbafa2be50e2f72eba2e6588b.png

image.thumb.png.747d6c5a839ee25b7528ed4d49174a1a.png

image.thumb.png.1e1acb82aa87cfa94f1af5222322d0d2.png

SelectedByNature

I just got this light a few weeks ago and these are my settings. If anyone has suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

So the up and down pattern above is solely to mimick cloud cover?

Screenshot_20171020-083020.png

Cloud cover is part of it. Reefbuilders has a great article on David Saxby's tank, which talks about his lighting. They also have a pretty good video on Jason Fox's tanks, in which he talks about his lighting theory. 

Each tank is different, but from a distance (and again I'm new to this hobby as well), your green and reds seem high in comparison to everything else, which may promote algae (and if Jason Fox is to be believed dull the colors of your coral). 

A note, the light shines differently in my tank through the cover class than if it is not there, especially with all the condensation.  I will have to take a picture to see if it can show the difference.  At the moment, I've stirred up the substrate and letting the filter do the work for me, so it will need to settle before I can take a pic.  This seems to make sense though.  I'm sure my evaporation will go up without the glass tops.  I understand I will still have evaporation in the sump.