Top Shelf Aquatics

40g Mixed Reef: First Few Months Stage

graftobny142

graftobny142

I started a Biocube 29g in March and almost as soon as I had it setup I wanted something a little bigger. We've all been there ;) I decided that a 40 breeder would be a good size in an apartment, and got to work getting the pieces together. I've gotten everything ready now except the tank itself ! Weighing a few final local options. I'm not in a rush so I want to do things right. 

I started cycling some old live rock that had been sitting dry in the heat for 6+ months. I placed it in a tub with 1.025 saltwater, a cobalt accutherm 250w, and maxijet 400. Dosed to ~10ppm ammonia (Trying it high again after my first tank cycle went so well). I probably should have washed the rock off but I'll do a 100% water transfer before putting it into the tank later on. Currently it has been cycling for 2 weeks. I tested a very small nitrite presence 2 days ago and did a 30% water change with 5g from my Biocube. Nitrites are now at .75 and rising. Once the ammonia is completely processed I'll do the 100% and redose a small amount until I have the tank I want. 

CkfZDww.png

edit: tested this morning 10/08/17: What do the nitrates look like? I am partially colorblind and the purples are hard for me.
weKCcEX.png

Ammonia at 1.5ppm, Nitrites at 5.0+! Nitrates not showing yet.

I love the process of cycling rock, so interesting once you understand a bit of the chemistry and biology that is going on.

Ammonia down to .25ppm, now to wait for nitrites to go down.

Then I'll do a 100% water change , light dose of ammonia to see it process (maybe) and then into a tank.

5 minutes ago, themummra said:

Nitrites coming down. 

I'll be keeping my Biocube up as a quarantine. Do I make that bare bottom and have sand in the 40g, or the other way around.

Make the QT bare bottom (if you need to QT a fish that needs sand, put some in a tupperware in there), sand in your display is up to you.

On it! I think I will have sand in the display for the life it can have.

Nitrites went from .75 to 0 overnight. Time to do a 100% water change, add a little more ammonia and then get the tank setup.

Dose lanthanum chloride via Chlorox Pool&Spa Phosphate Remover today. About 4tbsp in 15gallons of water. Turned slightly cloudy after a minute or two. Will dose again in 2-3 days, and test it once a week until near 0.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:35 AM, themummra said:

Dose lanthanum chloride via Chlorox Pool&Spa Phosphate Remover today. About 4tbsp in 15gallons of water. Turned slightly cloudy after a minute or two. Will dose again in 2-3 days, and test it once a week until near 0.

Lanthanum Chloride worked very well, down to .05 from .5 after 4 doses over 8 days. Haven't dose in 2 days and I am going to wait 4-5 more to verify it is stable at the lower level.

On 11/5/2017 at 3:33 PM, themummra said:

Lanthanum Chloride worked very well, down to .05 from .5 after 4 doses over 8 days. Haven't dose in 2 days and I am going to wait 4-5 more to verify it is stable at the lower level.

Phosphate is at .058 3 days later. LC seems like a success

On 11/8/2017 at 9:43 PM, themummra said:

Phosphate is at .058 3 days later. LC seems like a success

9 days after the last dose, phosphates are at .098. I'll let it go another 2-3, test one more time and then into the display.

• 2 weeks later...

Added a Fangtooth Blenny, cleaner shrimp, and bbc shrimp yesterday. I’m hoping the bbc can use this freedom to get a good spot before I add more.

i do want to add 3 sexy shrimp as well with an anemone (mine split). I’m thinking it would be best to add the larger anemone with a clown pair, then put the smaller nem in with the sexies. 

E669DE97-9B7B-4333-86BB-2D1F2C038729.jpeg

863684D8-EAE8-49FE-B106-548A45832520.jpeg

B30C0626-AFEE-443D-8055-F69DC5107AF3.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Everything is moving along well. 

I have been feeding phytoplankton and have a good population of pods on the glass. The starter group came over on a frag of gorilla nipple zoanthids.

Added 5 ORA Trochus and 20 ORA Cerith snails, and a ORA Urchin.