Top Shelf Aquatics

Joe’s Half Gallon Modern Globe Pico- End of Contest FTS

JoeR

Here’s a bonus shot of the under-appreciated Corals towards the back. Rastas, fruit loops (?), fire and ice, Purple Monsters, and magician zoas.

AF01D47E-3E96-4197-89B2-C058287992A0.thumb.jpeg.af6600f9bdf81709e0518c00452496b9.jpeg

• Like 6
17 hours ago, JoeR said:

Did the pictures load blurry or is it just my phone? They’re fine when I click on them but as loaded onto the page they’re blurry...

They look sharp and clear on my phone.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I like the shrooms.  Nice addition, unless of course if they take over the world. ?

Haha for sure! There’s one toward the left too but it’s MAD for some reason and closed up. May have gotten glue on it, not sure.

Im debating what inhabitant to put in here. I’m thinking a Crinoid Squat Lobster OR a panda goby. Or something else? Anyone have any opinions or suggestions? This thread doesn’t seem to get much attention, which is likely my fault, so I’d love some input :)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JoeR said:

Haha for sure! There’s one toward the left too but it’s MAD for some reason and closed up. May have gotten glue on it, not sure.

Im debating what inhabitant to put in here. I’m thinking a Crinoid Squat Lobster OR a panda goby. Or something else? Anyone have any opinions or suggestions? This thread doesn’t seem to get much attention, which is likely my fault, so I’d love some input :)

I would lean toward the squat lobster or another invert, (like a pom pom crab) rather than a fish.  Your container is such a small volume of water that I am not sure its enough for a fish.  Even cincy's gumball pico which I think might be more water than your container had a fish die.  Of course fish die in big tanks too so maybe his fish just died because it was going to no matter what.  

Hopefully others will give their opinion too.  I am certainly no expert and a goby would add interest for sure.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I would lean toward the squat lobster or another invert, (like a pom pom crab) rather than a fish.  Your container is such a small volume of water that I am not sure its enough for a fish.  Even cincy's gumball pico which I think might be more water than your container had a fish die.  Of course fish die in big tanks too so maybe his fish just died because it was going to no matter what.  

Hopefully others will give their opinion too.  I am certainly no expert and a goby would add interest for sure.

Oh I didn’t know the one in Cincy’s tank died, It was one of the reasons I even considered one. panda gobies are not only ridiculously tiny but they never move either, which made me think they could be an option. I have always leaned towards the squat lobster though, and I even had one in my cart on liveaquria but someone got it before me. Certainly a big decision

• Like 1

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.

Hmm. I’d like some more feedback from people about how to improve this tank, it’s just not recieving much attention still. I definitely have to get better pictures of the moon and sun as well!

and WOW I can’t believe the contest is already almost over!

• Like 1
On 3/11/2018 at 9:26 AM, JoeR said:

Oh I didn’t know the one in Cincy’s tank died, It was one of the reasons I even considered one. panda gobies are not only ridiculously tiny but they never move either, which made me think they could be an option. I have always leaned towards the squat lobster though, and I even had one in my cart on liveaquria but someone got it before me. Certainly a big decision

If you decide to try a squat lobster, try doing a very slow drip acclimation.  They seem to be rather sensitive to shipping and I was going to try that with my next one to see if it made a difference (but it died in transit :(). 

32 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

If you decide to try a squat lobster, try doing a very slow drip acclimation.  They seem to be rather sensitive to shipping and I was going to try that with my next one to see if it made a difference (but it died in transit :(). 

Thanks for the input :) but Awwhh you’ve lost two of them now? That really, really sucks. Were they the WYSIWYG from liveaquaria? I’ve almost snagged one from there a few times my self. I’ve heard a lot of talk about them in the contest but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone who successfully keeps one?

I lost two after shipping, and one during shipping. :( And yeah, all WYSIWYG from LA.  I think they may also need a more mature tank since mine had some bumps early on.

• Sad 1

Well the super pissed shroom pulled through, and Its a beaut!

781F96BE-07C3-43FA-A34A-771C27B42FB8.thumb.jpeg.682b22bbf4a6fe8094323214176d245e.jpeg

They’re really starting to fill the bottom like I was hoping, just a little more growth or another Rico and I’ll be golden! I’m amazed this $5 red mushroom is already growing two more babies!

A70870AC-E5E5-4F41-98CB-305C92927906.thumb.jpeg.8f850735c12e1931676bb37f0842afcc.jpeg

It’s a full moon tonight! I was told these are super fast growers, so far it’s not encrusted like I had hoped at all :(. To be fair, the whole jar has not had enough time to fill in during the contest so far, I really wish it was longer!

B306E97E-CF2B-4205-AD19-77FC483D0660.thumb.jpeg.213333b8ef6df71a7130ef3c242378c3.jpeg

And I don’t know how it got there, but check out this bonus pineapple sponge with my fire and ice zoas. I’m surprised it hasn’t “starved” in this tank.

19663A57-E59A-42AA-8D4E-52332404D874.thumb.jpeg.151634a3baff8c8ea9acefb0bb760c1a.jpeg

And just because I love them so much, UTTER CHAOS 

68F21EB3-096C-4A7B-99E8-060605353532.thumb.jpeg.223361acdff35653092c5c9e1a1c8bfb.jpeg

• Like 7

Joe, I love the shrooms on the bottom.  Even though your zoas are not as filled in as you had hoped I still think your jar has made very good progress through the duration of the contest.  My hat is off to you designing such a creative reef in such a tiny space, and then getting everything to live and thrive.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

Joe, I love the shrooms on the bottom.  Even though your zoas are not as filled in as you had hoped I still think your jar has made very good progress through the duration of the contest.  My hat is off to you designing such a creative reef in such a tiny space, and then getting everything to live and thrive.

Thank you very much! Truly means a lot. I didn’t quite realize how small the jar was until I had to actually work on it, it’s only 6 cups or 0.375 gallons with the water displacement. Nevertheless, the zoas are doing great- most have doubled in the number of polyps. Like I said though I reeallyyy wish I would have put the zoas in earlier in the contest. I just slacked the first couple of months and I think it came to bite me in the end. I also should have put groups of three or more in, instead of single polyps.

I did add some more zoas though, this one of my favorites by far. I think they’re just Sunny D’s but they are INTENSE! Their pattern and color is spectacular, I have a large colony in my 3G and I’m in love.

66C29598-80FA-494D-A8D6-1F368D479624.thumb.jpeg.52fc86a0c059ce544467fdfedc6df177.jpeg

These guys won’t quite open fully though

D6B3FBDA-3261-4DCC-9DE8-6804106485C1.thumb.jpeg.0f81caa30d2647e0edffb4d5a833c4bd.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I CANNOT believe this contest is already a week from over! Where did the time go. Wish it had been longer.

added another Ricordea which ballooned in the tank and is invading the space of the other two...

D93A30A4-89C3-485C-B4F2-E232DD71D3EE.jpeg

• Like 5

Joe, are you gonna keep this cute lil' pico going after the contest?  I would enjoy seeing it in another 3 months now that the coral are beginning to really take off.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, vlangel said:

Joe, are you gonna keep this cute lil' pico going after the contest?  I would enjoy seeing it in another 3 months now that the coral are beginning to really take off.

Of course! I don’t forsee myself taking this thing down any time soon. Only place to go from here is up IMO!  I actually plan to add a flaming prawn goby as soon as my “dealer” gets his hands on one.

• Like 3