ReefCleaners.org

Joe’s Half Gallon Modern Globe Pico- End of Contest FTS

JoeR

Did a water change yesterday too. I know in pictures it looks like the globe is gigantic like it really fills up the jar, but you can tell when dry that’s not the case, just some distortion is all. 

FD8851B1-693D-45D2-AE72-ED7293511CD8.jpeg

• Like 4
MainelyReefer

It would be cool if you placed some of the corals in correspondence with the location they are actually found on your globe.  I still can't believe how round you actually got that live rock to be!

• Like 3

Hey Joe, I am sorry that I have not been commenting much to your thread.  I have been watching it and am interested...especially in how you will keep the coral from 'taking over the world'!

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

It would be cool if you placed some of the corals in correspondence with the location they are actually found on your globe.  I still can't believe how round you actually got that live rock to be!

Honestly it took me a super long time to piece the rubble into a sphere. It was frustrating like an expert level puzzle to say the least haha

CAEA914E-1A25-43EC-A3A5-FA47D58436F8.thumb.jpeg.73b82054e61468a3d7162b778011bcf5.jpeg

I’ve thought about doing that, but the problem is I’m limited on the species I can fit in the jar but still have enough space for critters to crawl around. Anything I put it here has to be relatively flat- think zoas- or encrusting- like montis. Plus, what would I do for the North Pole or how zoas for instance are found in every ocean aren’t they?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Hey Joe, I am sorry that I have not been commenting much to your thread.  I have been watching it and am interested...especially in how you will keep the coral from 'taking over the world'!

It’s all good!  I was thinking about that, how I’ll keep them off the continents. I’ll probably have to regularly frag everything, especially zoas cuz once they take off they spread like wildfire!

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

I think you have the right idea with short or encrusting coral. Green star polyps and zoanthids come to mind, although the GSP might be more difficult to maintain. If you want to get really OCD you could cut mats of GSP to follow the continents :lol: 

Really though, I think you should just stick to zoanthids only. There's so many color morphs available, you could do some really nice things with all the complimentary colors. Zoanthid Orb!

You've crafted something super unique @JoeR, keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think you have the right idea with short or encrusting coral. Green star polyps and zoanthids come to mind, although the GSP might be more difficult to maintain. If you want to get really OCD you could cut mats of GSP to follow the continents :lol: 

Really though, I think you should just stick to zoanthids only. There's so many color morphs available, you could do some really nice things with all the complimentary colors. Zoanthid Orb!

You've crafted something super unique @JoeR, keep up the good work!

Thank you kind sir! 

I have some GSP in my 8 gallon and I find them a tad bit boring, I much prefer the variety of morphs that zoas come in like you said. I can’t decide which morphs though, I really want some rastas I think. Other than that I don’t know, but I’ll take recommendations haha

3 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Cool build! I admire your patience and determination. Should just get encrusting coral to keep the globe round. :)

Thank you! Any specific recommendations on encrusting Corals?

42 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Thank you kind sir! 

I have some GSP in my 8 gallon and I find them a tad bit boring, I much prefer the variety of morphs that zoas come in like you said. I can’t decide which morphs though, I really want some rastas I think. Other than that I don’t know, but I’ll take recommendations haha

Thank you! Any specific recommendations on encrusting Corals?

cyphastrea and encrusting months come to mind. :) 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

cyphastrea and encrusting months come to mind. :) 

Well, now that you mentioned it- might as well explain my cyphastrea plans :P I wanted to wait till I actually had the coral, but too late now haha! So I’ve been thinking about buying this “blow pop” cyphastrea to encrust over a rock that I’ll then suspend via a magnet to the top right corner of the tank, modeling the moon. I think I can pull it off as long as I can get the frag off the plug and get it to fully encrust the rock.FC568B74-CF01-465C-90FA-FEDCB8A60448.thumb.png.a9c91377e2316831ff38f38653eb132e.png

Blow pop is the most moon-like one I’ve found but I’m always open to suggestions. I think the polyps look like moon craters

:D

what do Y’all think?

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
21 minutes ago, vlangel said:

On the earth scape you could consider blue clove polyps between land masses?

That’s a good idea, I didn’t even think about those. Once they filled in I bet it would look great, especially if they wave in that water a bit. The only problem is the bulb I have is the Tuna Blue par LED and it’s already too blue for my tastes so I worry it would drown the BCP out and add to the Clorox look. But I’ll look into them, see if they stay short enough

• Like 1

Well while I wait for my coral to get here, hopefully alive after an unexpected major delay in Memphis, here’s something I forgot to post.

I wanted a lid that prevented salt creep and salt spray, which were both huge problems because of the air pump, so I made one! I used a piece of plexiglass that I had leftover from an old project, think I got it at Lowe’s for like $5. I then Dremeled it to shape (I suck at dremeling lol) and then glued a piece of airline tubing to make a nice tight seal. It’s rough, but a huge improvement over the lid I was using!

4E147E24-6154-41E7-9FB3-EFBEC6E7AE23.thumb.jpeg.89401420e2d2c8e58ded64f448aed0e0.jpeg

3DA23ACD-553E-4414-8806-9BCB537440A7.thumb.jpeg.9f58e422029b64e14298acaa03a646bb.jpeg

Stay tuned for a great update! If the coral ever gets here, that is.. @FedEx :angry:

• Like 5

Hope your stuff is ok! I ordered some stuff to arrive tomorrow without thinking about the snow prediction and by the time I remembered, it had shipped... :unsure: When UPS stuck my box in a warehouse all weekend last summer, the coral and crab were ok, the fish not so much...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hope your stuff is ok! I ordered some stuff to arrive tomorrow without thinking about the snow prediction and by the time I remembered, it had shipped... :unsure: When UPS stuck my box in a warehouse all weekend last summer, the coral and crab were ok, the fish not so much...

Yeah I didn’t realize there were weather problems when I ordered them either. They would have been fine, but FedEx shipped them INTO the storm, mind you the only bad part around, in Memphis. Why they couldn’t have shipped elsewhere is beyond me.

Wasnt it a wrasse that you lost this summer? That’s such a tragedy either way.

Still no coral, sitting in a facility an hour and a half away with nothing I can do. It was boxed up at 4PM Monday, and will be here no earlier than Thursday morning. Sigh. There’s a small chance some will make it but I definitely don’t have my hopes up.

Morning sunlight shot of the gulf...

3DFB9918-210F-4F48-9189-3C8CA38A327B.jpeg

14 hours ago, JoeR said:

Yeah I didn’t realize there were weather problems when I ordered them either. They would have been fine, but FedEx shipped them INTO the storm, mind you the only bad part around, in Memphis. Why they couldn’t have shipped elsewhere is beyond me.

Wasnt it a wrasse that you lost this summer? That’s such a tragedy either way.

Yeah, it was a gorgeous PSW. I talked to LA and they said whenever it comes, acclimate everything even if it looks dead, so that's what I'll plan on.  One of my boxes went to Charlotte first and then to the same location as the other...both of which are an hour away. I hope they at least left them in a climate controlled area. :(

1 hour ago, JoeR said:

Still no coral, sitting in a facility an hour and a half away with nothing I can do. It was boxed up at 4PM Monday, and will be here no earlier than Thursday morning. Sigh. There’s a small chance some will make it but I definitely don’t have my hopes up.

Morning sunlight shot of the gulf...

3DFB9918-210F-4F48-9189-3C8CA38A327B.jpeg

Fingers crossed for our stuff!

• Like 1
On 1/17/2018 at 11:38 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah, it was a gorgeous PSW. I talked to LA and they said whenever it comes, acclimate everything even if it looks dead, so that's what I'll plan on.  One of my boxes went to Charlotte first and then to the same location as the other...both of which are an hour away. I hope they at least left them in a climate controlled area. :(

Definitely, mines in fayettnam (Fayetteville) right now. But the person I bought my corals from called the FedEx people and they said the boxes are inside, so theres at least that. If they don’t deliver today I will be really frustrated.

whatcha get though? If it comes alive, that is?

• Like 1
On 1/17/2018 at 11:38 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Did your stuff come? Mine is still in Fayetteville, and they’re not delivering again today it looks like. So they’ve been in a box since Monday, and today’s Friday :( 

• Like 1

I got a bunch of stuff for the different tanks, so far it looks like the only casualty is (of course) the beautiful squat lobster. :( I'll check on things when I get home and try to do a more detailed series of posts tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I got a bunch of stuff for the different tanks, so far it looks like the only casualty is (of course) the beautiful squat lobster. :( I'll check on things when I get home and try to do a more detailed series of posts tomorrow.

Not the lobster! I was actually thinking of getting one of those for this tank, but I’ve been waiting to see how they do for other people. But I guess it could have been worse right, at least the other stuff made it

23 hours ago, JoeR said:

Not the lobster! I was actually thinking of getting one of those for this tank, but I’ve been waiting to see how they do for other people. But I guess it could have been worse right, at least the other stuff made it

Yeah mostly, though the porcelain crab I got for the 5.5 does not seem to have made it either. But only two losses so far is pretty good. I had wanted to try a very slow drip acclimation and was going to put him in my teeny frag quarantine to keep a close eye on him. I had another order come yesterday from GCE and so far stuff looks good. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah mostly, though the porcelain crab I got for the 5.5 does not seem to have made it either. But only two losses so far is pretty good. I had wanted to try a very slow drip acclimation and was going to put him in my teeny frag quarantine to keep a close eye on him. I had another order come yesterday from GCE and so far stuff looks good. Fingers crossed!

What’s GCE? But glad to hear! I didn’t have luck with my porcelain thag I bought from my lfs so I wouldn’t have hard feelings there