inTank Media Baskets

questions about using an air stone to create flow.

Friendly

I'm wondering, if you were to put in an acrylic cylinder into a pico jar, with an air stone placed at the very bottom and then have holes or slots cut into the cylinder just above it. would that help create more flow or a flow level that could be controlled by how vigorous the stone is working? 

cylinder would be the height/length from sand bottom to just below water surface. 

:unsure:

Flow would be generated without the tube.  But what you are describing sounds similar to how an undergravel filter works.

under-gravel-aquarium-filter.jpg

The intake flow is normally below the stone.  However, negative pressure should still allow the intake to work with slots or holes above the stone.

• Like 1

hey Seabass...yeah, I guess it would be similar to an undergravel filter.

my question was in regards to removing the risk of the bubbles in the tank...reducing the possibility of harm to any creature like crab or snail.

MainelyReefer

I put something like this in my pico and it definitely contains the bubbles and directs the flow minimally, it may increase bubble efficiency at moving the water column in a designated direction but that is speculative haha.  I just took an old water change tube that had been cut to size and drilled and made it wedged and glued into some rock to hold it in place.  The intake should be below the stone in my opinion as when my stone is at or below the intake some bubbles escape defeating the tubes purpose.  image.thumb.jpg.7d748be25a0f52c3942d72949928baf2.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
Fishkeeper12345
On 10/10/2017 at 9:52 AM, Friendly said:

hey Seabass...yeah, I guess it would be similar to an undergravel filter.

my question was in regards to removing the risk of the bubbles in the tank...reducing the possibility of harm to any creature like crab or snail.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07X2QK8J5/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=fishkeeper123-20&camp=15121&creative=330641&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07X2QK8J5&linkId=a8707ff179e4512afcb9e6ef0a604873

On 10/7/2017 at 10:19 PM, Friendly said:

I'm wondering, if you were to put in an acrylic cylinder into a pico jar, with an air stone placed at the very bottom and then have holes or slots cut into the cylinder just above it. would that help create more flow or a flow level that could be controlled by how vigorous the stone is working? 

cylinder would be the height/length from sand bottom to just below water surface. 

:unsure:

More or less, a version of your experiment is what led Tunze to develop the protein skimmer back in the 1960's.  👍

There used to be a Tunze Blog that had a post on it with a great picture.   Roger from Tunze mentioned it elsewhere too (<-- GREAT read!), but the blog seems to be gone.