inTank Media Baskets

Ty-ron and Precious' Crib- CC contest

GunslingerGirl

GunslingerGirl

Hey all! Here is my entry into the Creative Container Pico Contest! I have been sitting on making a pico for awhile now, but the contest pushed me over the edge.

The container I am using was sourced from the depths of my parent's basements. I think at one time it held a fair goldfish. I think we fed it cracker/toast dust. Clearly it didn't survive. I think it may also have actually housed cookies when my grandmother was alive. Mmmm cookies.

My favorite condiment is soy sauce. Because it is liquid gold. I use it on everything. Annnnnnd now I want mongolian beef. :blush:

The container is an old hexagonal cookie jar. Roughly 1.5 gallons in total volume. About one when filled with water, sand, rocks, and equipment.

I am using a koralia nano 240 I had laying around. I am seeing if I even need a heater currently. I plan to keep salinity at 1.025. The light is currently a standard lightbulb. Tbd. (probably cheapo 12 W par38).

The theme of this tank will be ghetto chic.

Stay tuned for the awesome sauce! (and I don't mean soy sauce)

God I am lame....

image.png

Equipment

Inhabitants Living in the Lap of Ghetto Luxury

Spoiler

Precious, "the cleaner", blue legged hermit

Ty-ron, "the bulldozer", thin striped hermit

Betty, "the beautiful watch-shrimp of the neighborhood", sexy shrimp

Chester, "the boisterous but shy", pom-pom crab

Macros, Corals, and How the Hey Did They Get in There?

Spoiler

Macros

Gracilaria

Caulerpa Mexicana

Caulerpa, cactus variety

Chaeto the size of a pink eraser for kicks

Corals

Zoas/Palys

- It's a find and seek. You can name them if you want to.

Green Star Polyps

Maxi-Mini Anemone

Hitchhikers and ... huh?

Feather dusters

Nerite snail

Stomatellas

Baby Ceriths

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
GunslingerGirl
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

Very cool container and your back story is awesome!

Lol thanks, Dawn!

To add to the backstory my mother confirmed that it did in fact hold a goldfish and that the goldfish is buried under the hydrangea in the back yard  :lol:

The things my mom can remember from 15 years ago.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
GunslingerGirl
4 minutes ago, vlangel said:

So much history and maybe your jar is going to make more history!

To sort of quote Shrek... It's like an onion.

• Like 1
GunslingerGirl

In true fake it til you make it- I have added LR from the back of my 25 gallon to the jar (let's go with 1.5 lbs) as well as bits of things that have fallen off.

Also everybody meet Precious (blue legged) and Ty-ron (I'm going with thin striped like Harry in the 25 gallon). They came in my last shipment from John at reefcleaners, but I didn't ask for them. But when life hands you lemons... build them a suite of luxury (held together with duct tape).

image.thumb.png.87b0f9486331427bb8d3c4663f258ff8.png

image.png.3f68d7800755f6c7967df09f40262009.png

image.png.22cd67afcccde09d17a7fae3a22c0f90.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
GunslingerGirl

For anybody still wondering about flow... Here is a brief video with some wonderful background music (It's technically the clean version... but I think we all know what he is saying) starring the g-man himself, Ty-ron. Watch this'll be reported for intellectual property lol

• Like 5
2 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

In true fake it til you make it- I have added LR from the back of my 25 gallon to the jar (let's go with 1.5 lbs) as well as bits of things that have fallen off.

Also everybody meet Precious (blue legged) and Ty-ron (I'm going with thin striped like Harry in the 25 gallon). They came in my last shipment from John at reefcleaners, but I didn't ask for them. But when life hands you lemons... build them a suite of luxury (held together with duct tape).

image.thumb.png.87b0f9486331427bb8d3c4663f258ff8.png

image.png.3f68d7800755f6c7967df09f40262009.png

image.png.22cd67afcccde09d17a7fae3a22c0f90.png

I think you need more flow. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
GunslingerGirl
14 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think you need more flow. :lol:

Hey man... I like my flow. And I am too cheap to buy another smaller pump. Also airline tubing and air pumps hate me. I kill them in a matter of months. So I hate to use them. I might cut the fins up a bit.

LOL I just added a 850 gph to the 25. Because I am having a mysterious cyano outbreak... I think my mushroom hid somewhere to die. Cannot for the life of me find it. Hoping that the snails and hermits will eat it and I can be lazy. Although I have to clean my ac110 coming up here soon. Damn detritus trap.

I ordered my amazon light today. Going to get another hanging light. Take the lamp we have down from the table. It's 12W so.... this thing is going to have to hang from the ceiling lol

• Like 2
On 10/7/2017 at 5:40 PM, GunslingerGirl said:

Hey all! Here is my entry into the Creative Container Pico Contest! I have been sitting on making a pico for awhile now, but the contest pushed me over the edge.

The container I am using was sourced from the depths of my parent's basements. I think at one time it held a fair goldfish. I think we fed it cracker/toast dust. Clearly it didn't survive. I think it may also have actually housed cookies when my grandmother was alive. Mmmm cookies.

My favorite condiment is soy sauce. Because it is liquid gold. I use it on everything. Annnnnnd now I want mongolian beef. :blush:

The container is an old hexagonal cookie jar. Roughly 1.5 gallons in total volume. About one when filled with water, sand, rocks, and equipment.

I am using a koralia nano 240 I had laying around. I am seeing if I even need a heater currently. I plan to keep salinity at 1.025. The light is currently a standard lightbulb. Tbd. (probably cheapo 12 W par38).

The theme of this tank will be ghetto chic.

Stay tuned for the awesome sauce! (and I don't mean soy sauce)

God I am lame....

image.png

Equipment

Hide contents

1.5 gallon antique cookie jar

Old koralia 240

1.5-ish pounds of LR

Sprinkle of aragonite

Inhabitants Living in the Lap of Ghetto Luxury

Hide contents

Precious, the blue legged hermit

Ty-ron, the thin striped hermit

Macros, Corals, and How the Hey Did They Get in There?

Reveal hidden contents

Gracilaria

Caulerpa Mexicana

Maybe a stem of caulerpa mexicana

Chaeto the size of a pink eraser for kicks

That's a lotta soy sauce :lol:

• Like 1
GunslingerGirl
18 minutes ago, gena said:

That's a lotta soy sauce :lol:

Usually I buy it by the gallon :wub:

I may have an issue. Is there a soy sauce anonymous?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
GunslingerGirl

Ordered a real pump. LOL you didn't think I was really going to keep using that 240 did you? Ghetto- CHIC people.

Light is coming in today. Pics later.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Ordered a real pump. LOL you didn't think I was really going to keep using that 240 did you? Ghetto- CHIC people.

Light is coming in today. Pics later.

I dunno, might've been fun to see an actual hurricane effect on the corals! :P

GunslingerGirl

So bummer news. Plugged in the light once into my 25 gallons socket to see if it worked...it did. Plugged into socket I bought... no work-y. Plugged in old light to socket... it works. So the light was apparently only good for one plug lol 

I have another light coming in. The abi tuna blue 12w Should be here in a couple days.

That's a bummer :/ 

• Wow 1
GunslingerGirl
8 minutes ago, vlangel said:

You are too hard on yourself.  Thats what almost all our containers look like now.  They need contents to make them wonderful.

Lol I was more talking about the dangling cord with nothing in it.

Oh trust me.. I am not showing y'all a close up of the tank today. The hermits did not eat their supper and I haven't gotten around to cleaning it up yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
GunslingerGirl

I looked over at the tank during a commercial on tv and say Precious wandering around without a shell.. and Ty-ron chasing her. Maybe this tank is actually ghetto...

Put some more shells in. Not much larger than what they have already.. I'll have to dig around my 25 and old shell collection. Too many old nerite shells in my pile currently... thanks Harry.

Anyway spent the last 10 minutes watching Ty-ron debate over a shell. Like would come out.. realize Precious was there.. go back into his old shell... come out entirely.. oh wait Precious moved. LOL He'll figure it out eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
GunslingerGirl
5 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

That's ghetto part of this build!!!! :lol:

Pretty much lol

For anybody wondering.. the hermits are named after some old neighbors of mine. Precious would wander around the neighborhood screaming on her phone and Ty-ron would chase after her telling her to go in the house lol. Fun fact of the day for you all.

My hometown is weird. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6