Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MainelyReefer

On 11/4/2017 at 12:40 PM, GraniteReefer said:

These sexy shrimp get worse and worse, I thought they were partially responsible for the demise of the birdsnest as the polyps closest to where they perch went first.  Then I walk up to see one eating the acro right on the tip and visible polyps missing from the stalk too! Atleast they aren't in my 40, maybe I'll drop the mantis in to pay them a visit.  Expensive live food anyone?IMG_2231.thumb.JPG.5920364688113c94f6824ef3cdddc426.JPG

also the twizzler Zoa is now 100% eaten with eagle eyes and rastas on the menu next. Atleast they have a varied diet 

Btw, are you feeding your shrimps? Or will they munch on corals regardless? Too cute to resist!

MainelyReefer

IMG_2270.thumb.JPG.2ff9aae3b029a5620e8a284bb222b766.JPGI have tried spot feeding them daily to see if it helped and literally right afterwards they were already munching the zoas again.  They are easy to feed as they grab pellets right from a pair of tweezers, they sit and munch the whole thing so I know they aren't starving.  They are just a bunch of coral eating dicks.  I thinks it mostly one individual too

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
Thunder Goose

I've never noticed (or heard of) sexy shrimp eating corals. Are you sure that's what's going on? The picture looks like they're just handing out doing their shrimpy thang. Zoas close up on pretty much any contact so their chosen location might just be annoying the zoas. Unless I've missed something...

MainelyReefer

I am positive they ate the twizzler Zoa as it was open and happy and then half eaten and then entirely missing.  Here is a video showing him more of harassing the coral back on Oct. 30th.  I think for the most part they stress the corals by constantly trying to host on them, then once overwhelmed and weakened perhaps the corals are an easy, tasty meal.  Accidentally causing demise then eating dying flesh kind of thing?

• Sad 1
On 11/7/2017 at 5:40 PM, Thunder Goose said:

I've never noticed (or heard of) sexy shrimp eating corals. Are you sure that's what's going on? The picture looks like they're just handing out doing their shrimpy thang. Zoas close up on pretty much any contact so their chosen location might just be annoying the zoas. Unless I've missed something...

Sexy shrimp are well known for eating zoas in particular, but I have also heard reports of blastos and other corals being eaten by them.  I would pretty much only keep them in a tank with something like RFA's that they cannot easily munch on.  It does depend on the individual shrimp though.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:26 PM, GraniteReefer said:

I am positive they ate the twizzler Zoa as it was open and happy and then half eaten and then entirely missing.  Here is a video showing him more of harassing the coral back on Oct. 30th.  I think for the most part they stress the corals by constantly trying to host on them, then once overwhelmed and weakened perhaps the corals are an easy, tasty meal.  Accidentally causing demise then eating dying flesh kind of thing?

Bad shrimp!

MainelyReefer

I may be figuring out how to catch 3 sexy shrimp in a pico with a 4" hole.  It seems last night they took a liking to a pink acan, no one eats the garden....  anyone wanting a sexy shrimp be warned, no they are not reef safe 100% confirmed in my books.  Here's the aftermath one of the first acans I added.IMG_2326.thumb.JPG.7bf13854bd215a1d43481617bb9cd515.JPG

I will rid the tank of these buggers and then feed this poor acan everyday to see if it will recuperate.  Only cool part is finding out it's flesh is super pink underneath.  Will update thread on tank happenings more soon. But here's a FTSIMG_2302.thumb.JPG.fca7662f55db86a1446fcc3d82e857d9.JPG

going to watch karate kid because I'm going to have to harness the skills of Mr. Miyagi to catch these ruffians.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 3

Sexy shrimp do like to bother/pick at recently fragged corals. The corals have a reaction and the picking continues till the coral doesn't recover. I would wait until everything is grown out to attempt them again. 

MainelyReefer

This was a well aged frag to begin with(in the order of months) and had been in the tank since week 1 or 2 so I wouldn't have considered it susceptible to picking from being damaged/stressed.  These guys ate that acan and it was 100% healthy Going into it.  I will not attempt them again in a tank with corals, and will attempt to get store credit at the place I bought them, otherwise they'll be on a local forum for sale.

MainelyReefer

Sexy shrimp Gone!!!!! It was quite the feat to catch them all and the net was causing chaos.  The corals will likely be a little rearranged as some where knocked off in the hustle! I just feel relieved to know they won't murk another innocent coral.  Here they are in the mason jar I transported them back to the LFS in... goodbye bastard shrimpsIMG_2329.thumb.JPG.04f46b8e43ddc1d161f35e1c699d2fc4.JPG

since the tank is in shambles I will now remove all KP Aquatics chunks from around the center island which held the softies and Duncan.  These will go back into my 40 as the Duncan was happier in there and the mushrooms have already had a deserter that attached at the base of the blastos and in the long run I'm not putting up with that. So excited the shrimp are GONE!!!!  And I got half the cost back in store credit, leaves me not even that butt hurt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

PS  Thanks for learning the hard way so I did not have to?.

^THIS!!   Truly, they were on my list of inverts for my pico project, but HELL NO.  So your sacrifice has not gone in vain. It shall be recorded in the halls of valhalla for all to see. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
MainelyReefer

Tank is happily maturing, I have a 4 day weekend so will update the thread on tank happenings and plans.  Here's a photo of a limpet I threw in from another tank.  They reproduce in the rear chambers of my AIO's.  Also visible is the jet black stomatella and the zoas that are no longer disappearing over night!IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.e1045edce8f854aa0272645edc86d5f8.JPG

I am really liking the color the rocks are taking on too.

• Like 3
MainelyReefer
11 hours ago, Felicia said:

Hi!  Just a reminder to please pm me your November full tank shot (FTS) along with a link to your build thread by the end of the day on November 30th.

I sent you the link but the message system isn't as easy as the posting in terms of photos I guess.  Is this going to be a monthly requirement? do I need to make a nice FTS? I usually just snap a photo but if it's being put into a competition thread perhaps it needs to be on par with better doctored photos?  That's a lot of effort monthly! And I'm inept at photography and alterations.  Also I have no idea how to access the message I sent you without sending a new one and don't want to clog your inbox with multiples. Happy thanksgiving!

My pictures are just cell phone snaps. I would think that any serious image processing would be inconsistent with the spirit of a contest. 

I do highly reccomend a gel filter which is literally just a thin piece of orange plastic available as a set foir $6 on eBay. You hold it over the cell phone lens and it tones down the over-saturation of blue.  

Anything beyond that and cropping seems like cheating to me. 

fishfreak0114

I always try to remove some blue with ipiccy.com because I don't have gel filters. I don't try to make things look better than real life, I just try to make the picture look the same as what I'm seeing.  It takes me less than 5 minutes, you may want to check it out. I usually move the temperature towards the red spectrum because that seems of cancel the blue the best :) 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Yea filtering sounds like doctoring to me.  It's likely the very reason why WYSIWYG corals blow most of the time compared to the actual colors under normal spectrums Correction=Enhancemant.  

• Like 1

I don't know my pictures with a simple hel.filter look much more like real life. Something bout digital cameras and blue spectrum light washes out ridiculously and looks way more "black light" than it actually does.