Jump to content
GraniteReefer

Live Free or Reef; 1 year Wet

Recommended Posts

Power still out due to wind storm and our lovely trees in NH, you think they would bury the cables by now.  Bought a second battery air pump, but with an addiction like reefing you know I still need 2 more to get one for each tank!(5tanks). Thinking of moving the tank near a window if the power isn't on by the morning tomorrow.  Wood stove to keep heat in the house steady so tanks will be fineIMG_2147.thumb.JPG.22843f453a6292741b2610d59eb3324a.JPG

highly reccomend this back up air pump, it stays off when plugged in and when it senses a power loss at the plug it switches on and runs off 2 d batteries

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Power is back! Temp only went down to 76 in the tank.  No ones pissed but the bicolor trumpet who is always finicky anyway is a bit paler in color, I have water heating up and will do a WC just for shits and giggles.  Now to add today's coral, acans anyone?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

11th Acan!  This one is also from aquarium depot, and has survived the worst wrath of bryopsis(fluconazole and vibrant). It is the lavender acan from there and under natural light is the most purple acan I have seen, although not so brilliant under blue lights.  Im hoping it will regrow the skeleton the algae had claimed after my CUC deals with the final remnants.IMG_2158.thumb.JPG.e7f40cbbbac4a21f40e11df5f9d98f79.JPG

The GardenIMG_2161.thumb.JPG.7093c58d7807650d5147f2325ff09c7d.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Happy Halloween!IMG_2191.thumb.JPG.3851c1afd7bf2ac98e7d1c707b2a506d.JPG

Added a mushroom that has finally attached to the mushroom rock, it is very tiny but can be seen just to the right of the also very tiny super man mushroom.IMG_2192.thumb.JPG.39dec915db53ae8114ccd34c9289da37.JPGreally hard to photograph these mushrooms sorry! Only the blue dot actually looks cool

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

That blue dot mushroom looks nice. Good pumpkin too!

Share this post


Link to post

New blasto!IMG_2204.thumb.JPG.23776df405805d15b466181e39c7aa25.JPG

this came from the same LFS up north in Plymouth NH, such a random place on the earth to find corals.  It was over priced and labeled as "Ultra" so of course I bought it .  Zoas keep opening then closing because of the shrimp.  What a life.  Also the SPS didn't farewell from that power outage I reckon, the acro still has PE but the birdsnest has only a few visible polyps left.  Getting back up air pump plumbed in permanently this weekend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Good choice on the backup air pump. 

 

That blasto looks amazing next to the neon green candy cane!

Share this post


Link to post

So many copepods! Hoping they are visible in this video once uploaded, Algae Barn is the best place for copepods and phyto to grow them

 

Share this post


Link to post

Failed to add yesterday's coral of the day, shame on me. I'll add a bunch this weekend to make up for it.  However I think I may stop the coral a day, especially now that my perfect record is blemished. As the tank fills, the location of each Coral is becoming more thought out and doing that each day is strenuous.  So to keep it fun which is what it is supposed to be, I'll just add corals when I find a dope one at a LFS and on weekends and such.  Also sexy shrimp are a love hate relationship.  On one side they are goofy little dancers, on the other side the really do eat zoas. I have began feeding them more frequently as the twizzler Zoa was eaten like candy on one side. I caught the sexy bastard doing it.here is all three of them on the Duncan pissing it off the other dayIMG_2199.thumb.JPG.6cb61fd7424c6cf0556e084f08dab7b2.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

These sexy shrimp get worse and worse, I thought they were partially responsible for the demise of the birdsnest as the polyps closest to where they perch went first.  Then I walk up to see one eating the acro right on the tip and visible polyps missing from the stalk too! Atleast they aren't in my 40, maybe I'll drop the mantis in to pay them a visit.  Expensive live food anyone?IMG_2231.thumb.JPG.5920364688113c94f6824ef3cdddc426.JPG

also the twizzler Zoa is now 100% eaten with eagle eyes and rastas on the menu next. Atleast they have a varied diet 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

These sexy shrimp get worse and worse, I thought they were partially responsible for the demise of the birdsnest as the polyps closest to where they perch went first.  Then I walk up to see one eating the acro right on the tip and visible polyps missing from the stalk too! Atleast they aren't in my 40, maybe I'll drop the mantis in to pay them a visit.  Expensive live food anyone?IMG_2231.thumb.JPG.5920364688113c94f6824ef3cdddc426.JPG

also the twizzler Zoa is now 100% eaten with eagle eyes and rastas on the menu next. Atleast they have a varied diet 

O wow, and I was considering getting some since they are so cute.  Not now however.  Nightmare on live free or reef.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

O wow, and I was considering getting some since they are so cute.  Not now however.  Nightmare on live free or reef.

Agree...I've considered some small, cute invert for my tank. These guys are not making the cut now!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Solar Powered Air Pump came in the mail yesterday! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9L9X8X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_XM5EcgO8J4faI

 Today I will be hooking it up and doing a test run.  It seems as though it may have an issue running automatically past 24hours, it mentions it both in the reviews and right in its own packaging, but I will see if I can manage to work around that issue.  Also a solar powered power head I plan on getting that only operates when the panel receives light so I could increase flow during the day and have bubbles only at night.  I still have research to do on this as some operate with different GPH so I want to find a slow one.  I have even found a 12v tank heater(biorb intelligent heater) but will need to do research on a battery bank and panel that could support this.  And solar powered lighting during the competition may be more difficult than after, when I could rig up a light already supplied by 12v.  Main goal is to take the pico off the grid so if the country goes to shit my hobby doesn't!  Dreaming of selling completely solar powered picos ready to roll out of the box, can't someone with more business drive do this for me?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

Wow. Solar power? Do you have to charge them outside and swap things out? I have solar on my roof to offset the energy usage on my reef tanks but I never thought solar pumps would be a reasonable idea... Especially up here in New England where I'd worry about both the low light levels and the cold in winter. Still gotta have heat.

 

Looking forward to hearing about how they work out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

Wow. Solar power? Do you have to charge them outside and swap things out? I have solar on my roof to offset the energy usage on my reef tanks but I never thought solar pumps would be a reasonable idea... Especially up here in New England where I'd worry about both the low light levels and the cold in winter. Still gotta have heat.

 

Looking forward to hearing about how they work out.

The battery is internal in the unit on the air pump I just got(only piece of solar powered equipment currently) the cord for the panel is 9 ft and it fully charged the battery by being placed just in the window yesterday so my plan is to rig it up today and run it dry into a bowl of water so if it fails the reef doesn't die. After a few days of success I would transfer it to feeding the reef and take the plugged in one off.  The flow from the solar one is 31.7GPH and my current one is only 8GPH so an increase in flow will be accomplished as well.  The current one is silent, literally silent.  So this solar powered one is a bit louder but no where near a standard air pumps noise. There is also an intermittent 8sec on 2 sec off mode that may elongate the battery through the night. All other solar equipment will take time to research and design a system and then test before bringing online.  Maybe by the end of the competition I can achieve it. If all else fails it will prove to be a valuable back up pump as it won't require d batteries like my other model does.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

What a cool idea and experiment.  Like Thunder Goose we have solar power on our roof but I did not even know there was reef equipment that was solar powered.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes! Love the idea of solar. Very creative and unique.

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

The battery is internal in the unit on the air pump I just got(only piece of solar powered equipment currently) the cord for the panel is 9 ft and it fully charged the battery by being placed just in the window yesterday so my plan is to rig it up today and run it dry into a bowl of water so if it fails the reef doesn't die. After a few days of success I would transfer it to feeding the reef and take the plugged in one off.  The flow from the solar one is 31.7GPH and my current one is only 8GPH so an increase in flow will be accomplished as well.  The current one is silent, literally silent.  So this solar powered one is a bit louder but no where near a standard air pumps noise. There is also an intermittent 8sec on 2 sec off mode that may elongate the battery through the night. All other solar equipment will take time to research and design a system and then test before bringing online.  Maybe by the end of the competition I can achieve it. If all else fails it will prove to be a valuable back up pump as it won't require d batteries like my other model does.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I have a little fountain pump meant for a bird bath that's solar and I've thought about using it for a backup in case of power outage.  I'll be interested to see how this works for you...

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/4/2017 at 4:59 PM, vlangel said:

O wow, and I was considering getting some since they are so cute.  Not now however.  Nightmare on live free or reef.

 

On 11/4/2017 at 9:16 PM, Rene said:

Agree...I've considered some small, cute invert for my tank. These guys are not making the cut now!

Look into a Pederson's or similar anemone shrimp!  Mine is awesome!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

 

Look into a Pederson's or similar anemone shrimp!  Mine is awesome!

 

Thanks Lula, I am looking into multiple options so will keep this in mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My Clownfish in my 40 have finally mated! It doesn't really pertain to this tank, unless by some long shot I experimented with capturing a few of the fry when they hatch and throwing them in the pico, it's the least hostile of all the tanks I own so it may give them the greatest shot at survival.  Odds are bleak but it would be wicked cool. Here's a junky video of the male clown next to them being a bad ass dad.

since I have little clue when they were laid; due to their location being obscured from my view while the frogspawn is puffed up for the day, it will be difficult to know when they will hatch.  I'll look for silvery eyes but any other suggestions at even seeing these things hatch would be epic 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

My Clownfish in my 40 have finally mated! It doesn't really pertain to this tank, unless by some long shot I experimented with capturing a few of the fry when they hatch and throwing them in the pico, it's the least hostile of all the tanks I own so it may give them the greatest shot at survival.  Odds are bleak but it would be wicked cool. Here's a junky video of the male clown next to them being a bad ass dad.

since I have little clue when they were laid; due to their location being obscured from my view while the frogspawn is puffed up for the day, it will be difficult to know when they will hatch.  I'll look for silvery eyes but any other suggestions at even seeing these things hatch would be epic 

Nice! Good luck with the spawning. Mine just spawned twice so far, but both times eggs didn’t make it past day 4. Mark said the parents generally eat the eggs the first time or two...

Share this post


Link to post

I raised clownfish once and they need rotifer as a first food.  I don't beli3ve there is wny chance they could live in the pico. 

 

My always hatch3d about 20 minutes after the lights went off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×