inTank Media Baskets

MainelyReefer

Okay, I'll ask:  What does the lift pipe "do" for the tank/inhabitants?  I used to have a freshwater tank that had this and never understood it's purpose. 

I mean, it's a clear plastic pipe that surrounds the airline tubing and makes sure to hold the airline in place.  Right? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Okay, I'll ask:  What does the lift pipe "do" for the tank/inhabitants?  I used to have a freshwater tank that had this and never understood it's purpose. 

I mean, it's a clear plastic pipe that surrounds the airline tubing and makes sure to hold the airline in place.  Right? 

Two fold, It actually causes movement of the water. As the air bubbles go up the tube it pulls water from the bottom into the tube to create lift.

Then it also helps oxygenate the water at the same time.

I believe here he didn't want the air to disrupt the corals as well so the tube provides a third benefit of  controlling where the bubbles are.

• Like 4
MainelyReefer

Boggers nailed it, and the lift pipe works, highly recommended.

Today's CoralIMG_1899.thumb.JPG.7e9f38fdaecbd18b7232c7b18d804442.JPG

IMG_1896.thumb.JPG.9774be6a2d95094fc163c77c79c36248.JPG

I will be fragging these neon green trumpets up momentarily, I grew these from a single frag! I will update with a pic of the frag in the bowl!

updated:  frag is in the bowl but I dropped it while getting it there... three times! So it's a bit beat up unfortunately but sexy didn't seem to care and went right to it! In better news hammer looks great again

• Like 5
MainelyReefer

Trumpet is mostly happy again today!  Fed him some reef roids last night so that probably helped. I may begin adding the coral of the day on the day before so it has time to acclimate and look it's best.  Tune in tonight for the latest coral!image.thumb.jpg.ad42524af4a8541aacba4be575d6340d.jpg

• Like 7
MainelyReefer

Typical LFS visit today, lots of over priced corals covered in pests and the guy selling them treats you like a dead fish on the ground.  Regardless I bought the hair algae covered coral because I have a sick addiction. IMG_1919.thumb.JPG.547649d383a79d7a6aa547759e3dfa03.JPG

Of course it was blindly thrown in the bag so it's mega stressed, but a lot of scrubbing later and a H2O2 run tomorrow should have it good as new.  IMG_1922.thumb.JPG.e3b08174c72c4eb55857a64cb6397a85.JPG

this color of trumpet is the only one I can't grow, hence why I had to source one from the store, but this one has a green center where the frag in my main tank has blue centers. I can't wait to feed them all, especially if an acan garden magically appears near them

• Like 3
MainelyReefer

My buddy came by today with a nice acan frag to start off my garden! Of course S.S. went right to it.IMG_1929.thumb.JPG.eee2d9fd05d047b2a95de2ad1ccfaa26.JPG

IMG_1928.thumb.JPG.c2767c238e9536a388e1bc03363b490f.JPG

And an update on the LFS trumpets, they had a baby aptasia on the union of all three heads, so I fragged them apart and put each frag in a different tank, biggest one in the bowl though!IMG_1933.thumb.JPG.cc5d4f0bd33b0bf0652a99591b4b2c64.JPG

my buddy also brought some goodies from algae barn and the pico got drenched in pods, baby brine and phyto so is a bit murky even after a WC to dilute!

• Like 4
MainelyReefer

Experimental acro on lift pipe!!!! also courtesy of my very generous friend yesterdayIMG_1940.thumb.JPG.993ab4b0e448ad974a80ec62b335aeb8.JPG

It is glued right to the lip of the lift pipe As the most flow happens here. Angled just out of reach of the bubbles but perhaps it will grow into them hopefully.  PE(polyp extension) has been happening gradually and they are clearly grabbing brine from the water column.  The tip was whitish when I got it, not an SPS guy so just rolling with it!

IMG_1943.thumb.JPG.c6405929cf422318b61d47201db8533e.JPG

• Like 5
MainelyReefer

Talked my wife into loading the baby up and driving to a new reef store so I could actually get nice frags! I think the weekend calls for a dumping of corals into the pico! IMG_1961.thumb.JPG.fcf8a61218cfb36a610ef270fbceeb31.JPG

Pictures of new corals to follow!

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
MainelyReefer

12$ blasto!

IMG_1971.thumb.JPG.2f936c7dd9edabde3b2007b2c5db1b7b.JPG

It looks really nice next to the trumpets but I left a buffer as I have only kept 1 other blasto before and never placed the two close.  I'm sure once they grow they will look close enoughIMG_1972.thumb.JPG.e34f80498ab4a9c725cf1128f1c4d667.JPG

got other corals too but will have to update another day, really nice acans, a birdsnest, mushroom and chalice(might not be in the pico!) also the rainbow acan isn't rainbow under the fluorescent lights spectrum may end up putting it in a different tank because of it.

• Like 4
MainelyReefer

Woke up and may have decided to keep the rainbow acan in the tank even though the spectrum isn't flattering it. Picture in tank

IMG_1973.thumb.JPG.3a59cf1df76b38f175c38b4e40838737.JPG

Picture taken by Love The Reef

IMG_1962.thumb.PNG.83bcc0fd5d0afd660bd778baf20b7562.PNG

It actually looks like their picture in my 40 under AI prime kessil and T5 but maybe it will be happy anyways in the pico and eventually the pico can upgrade, nanobox pico tide?!?

• Like 6
MainelyReefer
1 hour ago, duderubble said:

I'm tempted by those acans but I'm not sure I want to be feeding the corals in my Pico with anything but LED.

Acans are one of my favorites, anything with such an obvious feeding response is just so alien and cool.  If you wait it doesn't take them long to poo out what you feed and you can just turkey baste it out!  You also don't have to feed them it's just fun too and surely makes them healthier

• Like 3

Natalia has acans and feeds her pico pretty heavily.  But she does a water change the same day.  I think it's worth the try to keep something as pretty as acans in a pico :).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gena said:

Natalia has acans and feeds her pico pretty heavily.  But she does a water change the same day.  I think it's worth the try to keep something as pretty as acans in a pico :).

I was just going to say this!  She does a heavy feeding and then a full water change a few hours later, that way waste doesn't have a chance to build up in the tank.  Definitely worth it imo.

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

+1 to the above. Acans love vase reefs and can be fed a few hours before a big water change to keep nutrients down.

Also, LOVE your container and how your system is taking shape!  I was thinking about getting one of those but was wondering if the water volume would be adequate.  Looks like it is!

• Like 3

I have 5 acans in my bowl (and want more) and they do great. They are puffy all the time and I see a lot of growth!  I actually target feed mine on Friday evenings and then change the water on Saturday with no problems. 

I say go for it! 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Really dark colored acan I got for 12$IMG_1987.thumb.JPG.617fd4a60170b01db4724c3a446f7ef2.JPG

it was super healthy and hungry in store and was in the 5 for 60$ frag tank.  Always wanted a black/dark purple acan.  Also drove an hour after work today to meet up with a local reefer selling generous amounts of blasto merlettis for 10$.  Pictures tomorrow!

• Like 2
MainelyReefer

Blastos from yesterday's purchase, this is only a portion of the frag as it was a mini colony!

IMG_1992.thumb.JPG.e65067254c24c6c78977afe6c6056a06.JPG

I also added two single heads that jumped off of this bunch for the time being right next to the GSP as seen in this FTS(just to test the spots really, they will likely be removed and added to another tank)IMG_1993.thumb.JPG.1cb15b7e4837b56216c3e0fb51342195.JPG

as you can see I clearly need to step up my blasto game and put more right up front so it's blastos in the front, trumpets to the right, and acans to the left and back.  What do you think of Duncan's in the bowl?

• Like 6
  • Wow 1