Coral Vue Hydros

Jazzmik's Fusion 20 Build

jazzmik

Hey man, that's looking great! You tried the Kreg Jig thing? Yeah, they are great for joining boards and plywood easily. Hang on to it, you'll find all kinds of things to use it for around the house.

Keep us posted on how the stand and tank are coming!

-Detritus

13 minutes ago, Detritus said:

Hey man, that's looking great! You tried the Kreg Jig thing? Yeah, they are great for joining boards and plywood easily. Hang on to it, you'll find all kinds of things to use it for around the house.

Keep us posted on how the stand and tank are coming!

-Detritus

Yeah kudos to the inventor of that jig! 

Only thing I didn't do was cut the notches out for the existing hinges.

Not sure if I want to slide it back out and make the cuts or just but some other hinges like the ones you linked me to earlier. 

The hinges would definitely be your call, whatever you think is easier. If you cut the notches, clamp or simply tape a scrape piece of your plywood in such a way that as you're cutting the notch with your circ saw, it hits that piece of plywood and stops. Cut your notch by making cut after cut, going the width of the saw blade each time, until you get the inch or so wide notch you need. What doing it this way will do is give you a nice, clean squarely cut notch that looks pretty decent, and doesn't require anything more than you've already got. You can also notch it with a jig saw or something else, but the circ saw and stop block should give you a nice result. If you want any more clarification on this, just let me know.

Now that that I'm thinking more about it, cutting the notches one way or another is probably the best way to go. You could get no mortise hinges or something, but they still might not sit right. Let me go back and look at the original picture of your cabinet again....

-D

18 minutes ago, jazzmik said:

Quick question @Detritus

I used Zinsser Primer. Do I need to or should I use some sort of paint on the inside. 

Some folks say just a few coats of the primer and leave it at that. 

In my opinion, the primer alone would be just fine. It should seal and protect the wood fairly well, just not have the finished shine of paint. If you like the primer look, then fine, if you'd prefer the look of paint, that's perfectly fine too. Ideally, what I'd really suggest is that you use some type of clear coat over it. That will give it the most protection from splashes and everything else. I have used the Minwax Polycrylic clear coats for aquariums stands before, and one in particular is now like 6 years old. It's taken A LOT of water over the years, and it's still fine. You could have applied the clear coat over the bare plywood and been fine, or you can use it over your Zinsser if you want, or you can paint and then use the clear coat over that (which might be best for both appearance and durability).

Hope that helps!

-D

• Thanks 1

So as for the hinges and notches, I looked at the pic of the cabinet in your other post, and I'm thinking doing the notch thing would be easiest. You could do other hinges, but then the door might not sit right without further modifications. After looking at the picture, I'm wondering if you couldn't just knock a corner off the bottoms and tops of your plywood sides to make room for your hinges. What do you think?

-D

8 minutes ago, Detritus said:

So as for the hinges and notches, I looked at the pic of the cabinet in your other post, and I'm thinking doing the notch thing would be easiest. You could do other hinges, but then the door might not sit right without further modifications. After looking at the picture, I'm wondering if you couldn't just knock a corner off the bottoms and tops of your plywood sides to make room for your hinges. What do you think?

-D

Yeah I will do that. Wasn't sure if it would weaken the corners and by that any of the downward pressure to those corners.

Gonna buy some Minwax Poly tomorrow to finish it off.

NanoReefMinimalist
59 minutes ago, Waynkel said:

Yes its the eshopps one and it fits with no issue in a chamber.

In chamber 2? Is the pump completed submerged. The specification says that the footprint is 4.5 in length which is exactly the length of chamber two of fusion 20. That's what makes me worried.

2 hours ago, NanoReefMinimalist said:

In chamber 2? Is the pump completed submerged. The specification says that the footprint is 4.5 in length which is exactly the length of chamber two of fusion 20. That's what makes me worried.

Ill send you a PM, dont want to flood his build thread.

13 hours ago, jazzmik said:

Yeah I will do that. Wasn't sure if it would weaken the corners and by that any of the downward pressure to those corners.

Gonna buy some Minwax Poly tomorrow to finish it off.

Sorry about the late reply, but I really don't think it will be too weak if you just took out a little bit of corner to make room for the hinges. The weight of the tank will still sit on plenty of plywood. And to do the notches this way is two quick, easy cuts.

let us know how it's doing!

-D

No problem! I'm happy that I can help with stuff like this, since I'm far from an expert with the tanks themselves ;-)

looking great, though, keep it up!

-Detritus

Hey buddy! Aquascaping is nothing I can comment on because I stink at it. But, I both bump your thread, and say that your two scapes both look good to me. Perhaps other members will chime in. Is there a "rule of thirds" they use in freshwater tanks that might apply here? Either way, I'm jealous, my tanks haven't even seen water yet ;-( But I wish you the best of luck no matter how you decide to go. 

By the way, I'm assuming you got your stand built!! Great work!!!

-Detritus

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Detritus said:

Hey buddy! Aquascaping is nothing I can comment on because I stink at it. But, I both bump your thread, and say that your two scapes both look good to me. Perhaps other members will chime in. Is there a "rule of thirds" they use in freshwater tanks that might apply here? Either way, I'm jealous, my tanks haven't even seen water yet ;-( But I wish you the best of luck no matter how you decide to go. 

By the way, I'm assuming you got your stand built!! Great work!!!

-Detritus

Thanks @Detritus and yes, the stand is done :). Plan on getting water in this weekend, finally!

• Like 1