Pod Your Reef

Algae Scrubbers - cool idea or waste of money

NanoRox

Now I'm not saying I am going to purchase this (just now setting up my tank so I don't want to go crazy and purchase every gadget I see) BUT I must say this thing intrigues me.  I like the idea of natural filtration but am also a gear head so the two together make a wonderful love child.  Seems to me this is a Refugium (sp?) on steroids.

Thoughts?

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/filtration-reactors/algae-scrubbers/santa-monica-filtration-drop1-2-drop-in-upflow-algae-scrubber

Mine has been a waste of money thus far.  I like the concept behind it, and some people have had great results.  However, mine has never done that well and that could be from me not using it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

For larger systems with generous sump space, there’s only one builder who sets the standard for an ATS and that’s Turbo’s Aquatics scrubbers.  Not cheap by any means and anywhere from a 2 to 6 month wait.  Bud Carlson builds each one by hand with dimmable LEDs mounted onto custom heat sinks manufactured specifically for him by Steve’s LEDs.

http://www.turbosaquatics.com/

Although his site is a bit primitive, he is very active on R2R and RC under the username Floyd R Turbo and will answer any question you may have, even helping others with their DIY ATS builds.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, Rene said:

wow...those are pricey.  more than my entire system...and too large anyway BUT the science behind them is very interesting.

burtbollinger

i researched what you did....deterimined it was a waste at this time...If I had space and deep pockets, I'd consider the pax bellum reactor...but really, just doing an LPS dominant tank, i dont think all this aggressive nutrient export is really necessary.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

i researched what you did....deterimined it was a waste at this time...If I had space and deep pockets, I'd consider the pax bellum reactor...but really, just doing an LPS dominant tank, i dont think all this aggressive nutrient export is really necessary.

I agree.  It's crazy how I, and many others I am sure, gravitate to "tech".  I want to try everything.  If I had deep pockets I am not sure you wouldn't see the aquarium for all the equipment covering it up.  :-) 

My live rock gets delivered tomorrow...that's as high tech as I plan on going for now.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Water Dog said:

Woohoo!!!  Totally stoked cuz I just scored a used Turbo’s Aquatics L2 Rev 4 ATS for a sweet deal.  Can’t wait to see this thing in action! :D

Awesome...please report back.  I am very interested in knowing if this works.

I'm running the Santa Monica RAIN2 on my reefer 250, I have to clean the screen bi-weekly. After 2 weeks both sides are so full the flow has pretty much stopped. I do feed a frozen cube daily (I may skip one day a week) so that does help my scrubber since it is based off of feeding per the manufacturer. I run the lights for 22 hours since my levels stay at nitrate 0 phosphates between .01-.04 - So honestly the scrubber although growing great is working against me in the aspect of nitrates. My system is around 14-15 months old and has never read nitrates. I could probably cut the lighting down to 18-20 hours and I may do that and see if I can get nitrates in my system.