Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Orangutran's 2g Cube - Non-contest pico. :(

Orangutran

Feb 1 Update:

So if you have been following, my reef jar started out on my desk at work (thread formerly called "excuse to reef at work"), which was very distracting to me! LOL Water changes were a bit challenging too. Anyway, I had to bring it home for the holidays, and it's been in my basement since. Now I can do WC more regularly, and feed my pom pom frozen, which he/she deserves! Everything is happier now, just looking to fill it with more corals! Unfortunately, I have no way to scrape the jar cus it's too small for me to put my hand in, so it's top down view all the way! ;) 

Here's the January 2018 FTS:

28246942439_d35eeff12f_c.jpg

NOV 1st UPDATE

This creative container contest has really made me appreciate pico tanks! It's a lot of fun, and the possibilities are endless! There are so many creative and original entries so far; really humbling to see all the amazing ideas of the N-R community. 

To start, I wanted my reef jar to be as natural as possible. I used live rock, and was not afraid of any unwanted pests or hitchhikers. Of course, I still looked out for aiptasia before I bought it! A lesson from my larger tank is having as much biodiversity as possible. I see tons of pods on the glass now, which is awesome! My plan is to run the jar a little dirty, so softies can thrive. Originally there was a baby mangrove, but over 3 weeks, it slowly withered away. 

The new direction I am taking is having air plants above the water. (Following @cnseekatz and @Droy008 picos, theirs are dope!) This will provide the greenery I was looking for above water, that the mangrove was supposed to provide. Hopefully my green thumb does not fail me again! ;) 

Things may move slower for me, because this reef jar is on my desk at work. I can't be messing around with it too much during work hours. But if my supervisor knew how much I stare at it, he would not allow it! lol Not sure what happens when I go on vacation though, either take it home or find someone I trust to top it off.

Container: Anchor Hocking 1gal jar

Light: eBay 5w bulb (2b/2w/1violet) -- I have a couple of 15w on order from eBay. One is the same ratio, the other is 2b/3w to give it a daylight look. Lets see which I like better

Heater: Cobalt 5w Mini - this thing is perfect for 1 gal. Keeps my temps steady at 76-77

Flow: Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 air pump 1.5w with airstone

Bio filtration: Live rock and dead (it's old) oolite sand

Corals: zoas, rics and maybe acans

Inverts: 3 blue legs hermits and hopefully some sexy shrimps

OFFICIAL CONTEST ENTRY POST WITH CONDIMENTS SHOT (Oct 12):

Spoiler

UPDATE:

Ok, so it's not even a week, and I changed my container. Nothing drastic, just went from a .75 gallon jar to a full 1 gallon jar. The 1 gallon is slightly taller (needed because I will have a sand bed) and has a wider opening for easier access.

Here is the official condiments shot:

37654587591_8630391728_c.jpg

Plans....

Light - a Par16 bulb I already have, it's either 15w or 5w, not sure

Flow - Aqueon air pump (Hopefully not too loud for the girl across from me to complain about the noise LOL)

Heat - None, or Cobalt 5W

Corals - Rics / zoas 

Tree(!) - Mangrove (want to do a mangrove bonsai planted pico - I have no experience in this, so just experimenting. Will most likely have to upgrade my par bulb)

Inverts - crabs and sexy shrimps maybe

ORIGINAL POST:

Spoiler

Hey all! This contest is too fun to pass up! I have been secretly wanting a small tank on my desk at work, even a planted tank! Now this pico contest is the perfect excuse to make it salty! My boss ok'ed it, so I picked up the jar at lunch time from Canadian Tire (big box store). Nothing crazy, as I don't want to draw too much attention to it at work. I like the lid, cus if I get fired, I can just put the lid on and go! 

2.8L / .75gal

23683062858_0fdb1e2dcd_b.jpg

Grabbed lunch at Taco Bell/KFC, hence the hot sauce! 

I hit the jackpot in the store! They sell more than just tires. :)

23683068148_eb51d7c71e_b.jpg

Found the lamp to clip on my desk divider:

23683067638_746710172a_b.jpg

Ok and if you wonder what Canadian Tire looks like:

23683063938_54b18986c3_b.jpg

Plans for the pico...

- Light: 15w Par16 bulb that I already have. I hope it's 15w, bought from eBay for like $6.99 a couple years ago

- Flow: Air pump - last time I had an air pump was when I was 10yr old with a guppy tank

- Heater: looking into the cobalt 5w

- Will have sand and rock

- Might do rics 

Good luck to all! :D 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Good luck to you as well.

Thanks! I'm totally doing it for fun though, I just hope I make it to the end! Lol

1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

Ahh yes! A fellow Canadian! Following along and participating. :) good luck 

You, me, clown79, and farm boy. Represent eh!

11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

This should be fun!

This is my first contest too after all these years! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, vlangel said:

Its also my first contest!  I am liking the comraderie of us all participating.

Yeah NR has always been my favourite site, because everyone is so nice!

I never even considered a pico before this, and still have no idea what's involved! Been reading up and I guess I do need a heater after all. Lol total noob!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If you're in the States, Aqua Forest Aquarium sells a very nice little one with external thermostat. Alternately, try a small betta bowl heater with a temperature controller attached.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

If you're in the States, Aqua Forest Aquarium sells a very nice little one with external thermostat. Alternately, try a small betta bowl heater with a temperature controller attached.

Yeah I checked the aqua forest link Felicia posted?, unfortunately  I'm not in the states. Was checking all the Betta bowl ones last night, I will only need a 5watt unit! Learned that most of those small heaters are always on! What a crazy concept, but guess it does the job!

17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Where are you in Cda?

In Toronto. You?

1 hour ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Following! Love all these jars.

This contest has opened my eyes to pico reefs. 

DUMB QUESTION:

How does one do a water change on something so small? Use an airline tube? 

GunslingerGirl
3 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

Yeah I checked the aqua forest link Felicia posted?, unfortunately  I'm not in the states. Was checking all the Betta bowl ones last night, I will only need a 5watt unit! Learned that most of those small heaters are always on! What a crazy concept, but guess it does the job!

In Toronto. You?

DUMB QUESTION:

I like using a red solo cup to scoop out and one with a tiny hole to drip back in. But airline tubing works too. I just always grow mold in mine an hate to waste tubing so frequently.

51 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

In Toronto. You?

DUMB QUESTION:

If you get a betta bowl one, get a temperature controller as well, such as Finnex or Inkbird, so you don't cook everything.  Natalia does this.  Brandon of the reef vase fame used to advocate placing the vase reef in the sink and pouring fresh salt water through it to do a deep clean.  Easy peasy 100% water change! :lol:

1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

I use one of the really small gravel cleaners/siphons - it has a little bigger tubing than airline. I think it's made by Python.   Airline tubing would take forever - even with these small picos. 

4 hours ago, Orangutran said:

In Toronto. You?

DUMB QUESTION:

Waterloo region.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2017 at 7:28 PM, GunslingerGirl said:

I like using a red solo cup to scoop out and one with a tiny hole to drip back in. But airline tubing works too. I just always grow mold in mine an hate to waste tubing so frequently.

Cup idea might work! Yeah, know what you mean about mood in the lines, I have it in my ATO, but I still use it. :P

On 10/8/2017 at 8:17 PM, Lula_Mae said:

If you get a betta bowl one, get a temperature controller as well, such as Finnex or Inkbird, so you don't cook everything.  Natalia does this.  Brandon of the reef vase fame used to advocate placing the vase reef in the sink and pouring fresh salt water through it to do a deep clean.  Easy peasy 100% water change! :lol:

I will be doing water changes at work, so I think it will be frowned upon if I do the sink method in the kitchen... haha Great idea though! 

Back to the small heaters, I don't get how the always on feature works. Anyway, I'll test it out while cycling... 

On 10/8/2017 at 8:41 PM, SeaFurn said:

I use one of the really small gravel cleaners/siphons - it has a little bigger tubing than airline. I think it's made by Python.   Airline tubing would take forever - even with these small picos. 

I do have a small old python tube at home, it's the smallest one they make, but I may need to remove the vacuum cylinder part still. Think I would have to suck on the tube to start the syphon too! lol Thanks for the ideas!! Love your pico thread! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, samnaz said:

An excuse to reef at work! Brilliant. I think I may join this contest. Sure would make work more enjoyable to have a little reef on my desk....

Yeah do it!!! I don't even have an office, so it'll be out in the open, people already think I'm odd...

I can't wait to get mine going!! 

GunslingerGirl
Just now, Orangutran said:

Lol they gonna ask why I don't have Nemo and Dory in the jar...

See I'm a smart-aleck and I would slap some stickers on it lol

My favorite is when they see algae and call it coral.

• Haha 3
8 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Cup idea might work! Yeah, know what you mean about mood in the lines, I have it in my ATO, but I still use it. :P

I will be doing water changes at work, so I think it will be frowned upon if I do the sink method in the kitchen... haha Great idea though! 

Back to the small heaters, I don't get how the always on feature works. Anyway, I'll test it out while cycling... 

I do have a small old python tube at home, it's the smallest one they make, but I may need to remove the vacuum cylinder part still. Think I would have to suck on the tube to start the syphon too! lol Thanks for the ideas!! Love your pico thread! 

The heaters always on, they don't have settings. You can't set ot to per say 78.

They stay on the whole time.

They claim to raise the tank temp a certain amount above room temp...its BS.

My room temp is 73-74 and my 10 watt heater raised a 5g to 85. 

Another member mentioned using light timers to control the betta heaters 

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

See I'm a smart-aleck and I would slap some stickers on it lol

My favorite is when they see algae and call it coral.

Well, corals are plants you know... ;) 

9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The heaters always on, they don't have settings. You can't set ot to per say 78.

They stay on the whole time.

They claim to raise the tank temp a certain amount above room temp...its BS.

My room temp is 73-74 and my 10 watt heater raised a 5g to 85. 

Another member mentioned using light timers to control the betta heaters 

So it's a crap shoot with these heaters, depending on how warm/cold the room is! How do all these betta owners deal with this insanity! lol

• Haha 1
GunslingerGirl
1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

Well, corals are plants you know... ;) 

So it's a crap shoot with these heaters, depending on how warm/cold the room is! How do all these betta owners deal with this insanity! lol

oivey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1