Coral Vue Hydros

Orangutran's 2g Cube - Non-contest pico. :(

Orangutran

Good news bad news.

Good news is I got a beautiful pom pom crab! 

38591586072_108a3eaa94_z.jpg

Bad news, he's MIA since I added him last night!! :( Seriously, it's a 1 gallon jar, how the heck can he be missing? Do pom pom crabs climb out of tanks? I looked around my area, and don't see anything... I feel bad! 

Here's an updated FTS, finally found some rics and got my airplants glued down! Think I'm gonna add a few more rics next week, loving them so far!

38624116071_50ac1015e6_z.jpg

37736032725_613f379a25_z.jpg

• Like 8
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

Nice pics orangutran.  I love the air plants with the jar.  Do you have a lot of evaporation?

Thanks Dawn! Evaporation isn't too bad from day to day, although I top off everyday. When I leave it over the weekend (without lid), water level drops quite a bit. This weekend i put the lid on before I left work (Took airplants off) for the first time. We'll see on Monday! 

• Like 1
On 11/25/2017 at 10:25 AM, kimberbee said:

Pom poms are VERY good at hiding!! 

That good??? Now that I think about it, I guess they are like gorilla crabs...

On 11/26/2017 at 9:04 AM, pj86 said:

A second that pom pom crabs are good at hiding. I always had a hard time finding it in my 3 gallon. Then would reappear a few days later.

I feel better, thanks guys! I actually got 2 that day (because they looked so healthy!) and put the other in my 29g... bad idea huh... :mellow:

On 11/24/2017 at 4:57 PM, Orangutran said:

Good news bad news.

Good news is I got a beautiful pom pom crab! 

38591586072_108a3eaa94_z.jpg

Bad news, he's MIA since I added him last night!! :( Seriously, it's a 1 gallon jar, how the heck can he be missing? Do pom pom crabs climb out of tanks? I looked around my area, and don't see anything... I feel bad! 

Here's an updated FTS, finally found some rics and got my airplants glued down! Think I'm gonna add a few more rics next week, loving them so far!

38624116071_50ac1015e6_z.jpg

37736032725_613f379a25_z.jpg

Most pom poms are extremely reclusive. I've had one since summer that has just started getting bold the last few weeks. Before, I saw him once every month or two, and this is in a 5.5!

• Like 1
On 11/27/2017 at 6:07 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Most pom poms are extremely reclusive. I've had one since summer that has just started getting bold the last few weeks. Before, I saw him once every month or two, and this is in a 5.5!

You guys are right ( @pj86 @kimberbee ), I found my pom pom! Saw him (his legs at least) the other day when I was feeding reef roids! He's alive!! :D 

Here is my official FTS for November:

24875067338_1d08c32a82_z.jpg

I changed my bulb to a 15w par16 with 3 whites / 2 blues. Not sure if it's really 15watts though, still looks kinda dim. I do like it better, doesn't have the purple tint from the violet that was on my old bulb! Zoas look happier too! 

Also took out my thermometer, cus the suction cup keeps letting go! My finger will be the new thermometer. :)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
On 11/30/2017 at 2:59 PM, Orangutran said:

You guys are right ( @pj86 @kimberbee ), I found my pom pom! Saw him (his legs at least) the other day when I was feeding reef roids! He's alive!! :D 

Here is my official FTS for November:

24875067338_1d08c32a82_z.jpg

I changed my bulb to a 15w par16 with 3 whites / 2 blues. Not sure if it's really 15watts though, still looks kinda dim. I do like it better, doesn't have the purple tint from the violet that was on my old bulb! Zoas look happier too! 

Also took out my thermometer, cus the suction cup keeps letting go! My finger will be the new thermometer. :)

Yay pom pom! I discovered both of mine in my 5.5 still alive the other day, they have gotten much bolder with two! And neither tried to eat the other like happened last time lol.

On 30/11/2017 at 3:35 PM, debbeach13 said:

Good news on the pom pom. Coming together nicely. What do your co-workers think?

Thanks! Co-workers just wants me to add a fish. Lol them non reefers don't see all the cool stuff in the jar already! Guess us nano reefers are a different breed...

17 hours ago, vlangel said:

I am glad the pom pom is alive and well.

I put some frozen food by his crevice and saw him pop out to snatch it up! :) Gonna try taking a video next time!

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yay pom pom! I discovered both of mine in my 5.5 still alive the other day, they have gotten much bolder with two! And neither tried to eat the other like happened last time lol.

That crossed my mind, cus at the LFS, they were all clumped together! But awesome you are seeing yours more now! They are fascinating crabs!

• Like 4

Ok, today I'm taking my jar home for the holidays, since I'll be in and out of the office for the next 3 weeks!! Will drain the water half way, so it does not spill all over my car! That's the plan anyway! fingerscrossed  My zoas will be outta water for 40min, and i'll be cranking the car heater since it's -10C outside! Got warm water at home ready to go once I get home. Should be fine, what can go wrong? :scarry:

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
On 12/14/2017 at 9:30 AM, Orangutran said:

Ok, today I'm taking my jar home for the holidays, since I'll be in and out of the office for the next 3 weeks!! Will drain the water half way, so it does not spill all over my car! That's the plan anyway! fingerscrossed  My zoas will be outta water for 40min, and i'll be cranking the car heater since it's -10C outside! Got warm water at home ready to go once I get home. Should be fine, what can go wrong? :scarry:

Ok, I wanna know how the drive home with the 1/2 full jar in freezing temps went?!?!?!?

• Like 2
On 12/16/2017 at 12:21 PM, devaji108 said:

love it! I have been thinking of doing the same alot lately...I have the same just in the 2gal. but that for brewing my Kombucha.

fallowing...  

Do it. I think this contest has started a pico revolution.

On 12/16/2017 at 5:10 PM, dmw913 said:

Ok, I wanna know how the drive home with the 1/2 full jar in freezing temps went?!?!?!?

Lucky it was really sunny that day, so my car was nice and warm! I took corners like a granny though, so the rocks don't tip over, and no spillage! :)

On 12/14/2017 at 12:27 PM, Mariaface said:

Good luck!

On 12/15/2017 at 7:15 AM, vlangel said:

I hope it goes ok!

Ok so I had to make a couple of pit stops (needed salt, and egg crate) on the way home, and the zoas were exposed for well over an hour, yet they opened right back up after I added water! New respect for corals!

Here it is at home: 

39077261671_cc1eafc432_z.jpg

And during the car ride, the hermits got into a fight and one got evicted! LOL

39057853992_55e0e3e69a_z.jpg

Don't worry, I threw in a bigger shell for the poor guy without a home, so he actually came out on top!

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

Here's my official FTS from December:

39452511292_17a3006615_b.jpg

I got lucky, and found my pom pom crab right at the top when I turned on the light to take the pic!! Woohoo! He's so cool looking, just wish he was out more often. 

And just for fun, this is the photo before I edited it to remove the blue tint. Another plug for the app "Snapseed".

38774365334_f7dd6fd44a_b.jpg

January Update:

So I'm back at work now, and I don't know if I'll be bringing the pic back. It may stay in my basement at home. It's too much of a distraction at work! lol Also at home, I can feed the critters anything I want (including frozen food). 

QUESTION TO ALL THE ANCHOR HOCKING JAR OWNERS: How the heck do you clean/scrape the glass? All my recent shots are top down because the sides are so dirty. The hard algae/coralline is tough to get off, when I can't get a scraper in there. I will probably transfer to a square pico tank when this contest is over. :)

• Like 3