Pod Your Reef

Clown79

I added a few frags.

There is birdsnest on the top, xenia on the side. Xenia still not fully standing, not sure why?

My powerhead has been adjusted so there is a good amount of flow.

Temp staying steady at 79-80, so that's grear.

I'd love a ric garden but for some reason rics  are going for $50-$80 a head now. 

I just can't pay that much for a mushroom. 

9 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I love how the scape turned out!  It's nice that you put things from your trip in.  It's a little reminder every time you look in the jar :)

Thank you. 

?

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
41 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'd love a ric garden but for some reason rics  are going for $50-$80 a head now. 

I just can't pay that much for a mushroom. 

I feel you here! Every time I go to the LFS with the intention of buying a variety of ricordia but I am very disappointed with price! I finally saw a bright orange ric that had a reasonable price, $20 i think so I snagged one. 

3 hours ago, flatlandreefer said:

I feel you here! Every time I go to the LFS with the intention of buying a variety of ricordia but I am very disappointed with price! I finally saw a bright orange ric that had a reasonable price, $20 i think so I snagged one. 

Hell ya. Any ric for $20 is a deal now. 

• Sad 1
26 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

I love where you are going w/ the jar, full of good memories for you........many ways we think a like........

Thank you. It kind of makes it special.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, seabass said:

It's nice that you can maintain 80°F without a heater.  How much more perfect can that be?  Great start.

I think it was luck? 

The heater even on a timer was unreliable.

On 15/10/2017 at 3:46 PM, Clown79 said:

Hell ya. Any ric for $20 is a deal now. 

2EE9E244-3AC1-4177-8E82-1FA83A5D938A.thumb.png.93308a33d0a70759c57021faca0572bd.png

That price is not a typo, it’s market rate here!!! 

PS jar looks very, very exciting. I’m loving the voyeurism of a contest :) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 5
4 minutes ago, Moorahs said:

2EE9E244-3AC1-4177-8E82-1FA83A5D938A.thumb.png.93308a33d0a70759c57021faca0572bd.png

That price is not a typo, it’s market rate here!!! 

PS jar looks very, very exciting. I’m loving the voyeurism of a contest :) 

That price is ridiculous! 

3 hours ago, gena said:

I love your memories tank.  It's very sweet :happy:.

Thanks Gena.

These little tanks are quite a challenge. Trying aquascape is very interesting.lol.

• Like 1

So the temp in my apartment has dropped since  its starting to get cold.

My tank during the day is sitting between  78-79 now with the light on.

At night it's dropping about a degree or so. 

Hopefully when I turn my heat on that will change.

Coral update.

Birdsnest polyps are out but not bushy. My polyps open up then stay closed. Xenia just won't open.

I added a brain which is doing good and a blue mushroom that is ticked from being fragged. 

Trying to figure out if it's the light or if it's too much flow.

I've tried the light up high, I've tried it lower, I even added mesh to diffuse light.

No change in appearance.

Did you get the xenia online?  They are generally poor shippers despite their hardy and invasive nature.  Hopefully it will perk up for you.

I find it a little weird that your temps are so stable, at such a desirable level, without a heater.  You must keep it pretty warm in your apartment.  I will say though, that your corals would probably perk up at a constant 80 degrees.  But you'd need a controller. :(

Try not to keep changing things around.  Give everything a little time to adjust to their new normal.  I know you know that, but sometimes it's hard not fussing even when you know better.

Edit: It just hit me that your powerhead is your heater, and that's why your jar is staying warm.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Did you get the xenia online?  They are generally poor shippers despite their hardy and invasive nature.  Hopefully it will perk up for you.

I find it a little weird that your temps are so stable, at such a desirable level, without a heater.  You must keep it pretty warm in your apartment.  I will say though, that your corals would probably perk up at a constant 80 degrees.  But you'd need a controller. :(

Try not to keep changing things around.  Give everything a little time to adjust to their new normal.  I know you know that, but sometimes it's hard not fussing even when you know better.

Edit: It just hit me that your powerhead is your heater, and that's why your jar is staying warm.

I fragged the xenia from my 10g because I have to prune it every 2 weeks. It was in excellent condition. It's a shriveled ball now...doesn't help it got sucked into the pump?

My apartment is too cold for me now. It's between 70-72. During winter usually 74-75.

The pump alone has kept the temp more stable than the heater did.

I know. I shouldn't fiddle. Just trying to get the sweet spot.

What's odd it the monti and brain are great and paly and birdsnest aren't???

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I fragged the xenia from my 10g because I have to prune it every 2 weeks. It was in excellent condition. It's a shriveled ball now...doesn't help it got sucked into the pump?

My apartment is too cold for me now. It's between 70-72. During winter usually 74-75.

The pump alone has kept the temp more stable than the heater did.

I know. I shouldn't fiddle. Just trying to get the sweet spot.

What's odd it the monti and brain are great and paly and birdsnest aren't???

I think it's going to be challenging to keep everything happy, at least at first.  Most of my palys are closed up or slightly closed, but not all.  I guess some corals are just more finicky than others.  Eventually, as these picos mature, things should improve.  THat's my hope :D

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gena said:

I think it's going to be challenging to keep everything happy, at least at first.  Most of my palys are closed up or slightly closed, but not all.  I guess some corals are just more finicky than others.  Eventually, as these picos mature, things should improve.  THat's my hope :D

It's so frustrating. Lol. Trying to figure out the lighting on something so small. 

Paly's are usually fine in swamp water. Lmao

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

It's so frustrating. Lol. Trying to figure out the lighting on something so small. 

Paly's are usually fine in swamp water. Lmao

Hahaha yeah.  Well leave it to me to give them a nice sunburn :blush:

• Haha 1

I put mesh in between the cookie jar and lid to diffuse the light.

I think the issue was the flow bring too high. Lowered it tonight and voila, paly's started opening.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

These bulbs are typically listed as 3x more wattage than they actually pull. I got a chinese ebay par38 with 9 LEDs listed as 27w, only pulled 8-9 watts when plugged in. So it might not be enough if it's only actually 5w

Did my first waterchange yesterday on the Pico.

It's so small it takes no time! But the challenge is getting in there without destroying it all. 

Adjusted my pump and things are opening up...i guess the tiny tidal wave was too much for the corals not the light.

So turbulent flow-FAIL

Temp is holding steady still with just the pump. 

Today the diatoms have appeared- they are so ugly! Lol.

• Like 3