Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clown79

2 hours ago, vlangel said:

It definitely helps to have an empty jar when thoroughly cleaning.  Were you shocked how clear the jar looked when everything settled?  I know I was when I cleaned.  I wished it would stay pristine!

So much easier. Algae seems to not want to come off the glass even with a straight razor!

It's so clean in there now.

I think washing the sand really helped 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well not happy today.

I had glued down my acan lord to a rock and somehow it got knocked off.

Low and behold the flow blue it face down on my acan enchinata.

Yup theres nothing left to the acan lord, I wasn't impressed with this. I had saved the acan and it was just starting to fill out.

• Sad 5
On 1/22/2018 at 9:20 PM, Clown79 said:

Well not happy today.

I had glued down my acan lord to a rock and somehow it got knocked off.

Low and behold the flow blue it face down on my acan enchinata.

Yup theres nothing left to the acan lord, I wasn't impressed with this. I had saved the acan and it was just starting to fill out.

O bummer, that stinks! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Pico's been doing good besides losing my acan lord to acan e. 

My pom pom's don't seem to like eachother, I saw them fighting one day. Neither have nem's anymore but both seem to be doing well otherwise.

My birdsnest and monti have grown and they are doing great. Always fully extended. 

Xenia is spreading- no surprise there.?

My trumpets have 2 mouths so they must be getting ready to split.

I added a frogspawn to the tank, I wanted something with movement in there.

20180203_203006.jpg

20180204_024340.jpg

20180203_202150.jpg

20180203_201629.jpg

20180203_203313.jpg

• Like 7
  • 4 weeks later...

February Update

Where has the time gone? 1 more month and the contest is done?

Things have gone pretty smoothly this month besides having my chalice take out my frogspawn.

Crab knocked over the frogspawn and chalice went to town on it. The frogspawn was a store saver and never did very well from the get go, I had hoped it would get better in the pico-

Had to redo the rocks after doing a full tank cleaning. I like it better.

I've added a gold hammer, red acan, and a leptastrea. 

I added an airhose to create more turbulent flow, everything seems to enjoy it.

My one Pom pom has been climbing the hose in the tank, seems to love just chilling on it right above the bubbles.20180227_175455.thumb.jpg.86831afc89a2a2e3add19c5dbb227e5c.jpg20180227_174607.thumb.jpg.47fb6d61e73c92e8af84d6ef7035d15d.jpg20180227_175455.thumb.jpg.86831afc89a2a2e3add19c5dbb227e5c.jpg20180227_174607.thumb.jpg.50e986de60e7aaecb283a01a4c5972d6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

February Update

Where has the time gone? 1 more month and the contest is done?

Things have gone pretty smoothly this month besides having my chalice take out my frogspawn.

Crab knocked over the frogspawn and chalice went to town on it. The frogspawn was a store saver and never did very well from the get go, I had hoped it would get better in the pico-

Had to redo the rocks after doing a full tank cleaning. I like it better.

I've added a gold hammer, red acan, and a leptastrea. 

I added an airhose to create more turbulent flow, everything seems to enjoy it.

My one Pom pom has been climbing the hose in the tank, seems to love just chilling on it right above the bubbles.20180227_175455.thumb.jpg.86831afc89a2a2e3add19c5dbb227e5c.jpg20180227_174607.thumb.jpg.47fb6d61e73c92e8af84d6ef7035d15d.jpg20180227_175455.thumb.jpg.86831afc89a2a2e3add19c5dbb227e5c.jpg20180227_174607.thumb.jpg.50e986de60e7aaecb283a01a4c5972d6.jpg

I like it better too.  Nice balance.  It is hard to believe that the contest is almost done. :-(  Thats kind of sad.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Your jar is looking fantastic! I really like that bird nest on top. It’s crazy how fast this contest has gone by.  I’m sad to see it end!

Me too!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

This contest has been really interesting.

For myself, the experience has been very different than my other tanks.

My sps are growing quickly in the Pico and are very happy. Polyp extension all the time.

My acan is popping out new heads. I'm happy about this because I got it for $5, it was in rough shape. Half a head.

Half the head has recovered and 3 new ones? 

My trumpet still hasn't split but it has 2 mouths on one head.

The one thing that hasn't done well is the leptastrea. I got it 4 months ago and have tried it now in 3 tanks. It just keeps declining.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Your jar looks fantastic.  Maybe the leptastrea was never really healthy.  I have one that is doing well in my jar.

I think you're right because each tank has different lighting and flow.

And thank you?

• Like 1

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
3 hours ago, Felicia said:

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.

Thank you for letting me know.

Will get that to you.

Took some pics today of my corals.

I didn't think in the span of time the jar has been up that I would see much growth until I looked back at old photos.

My leather frag has grown quite a lot. I love the green nepthea, the colour is so vibrant and if you watch it, you can see the polyps open and close. 

I love watching corals catch things

The birdsnest has really grown and the monti is so happy in the jar. I am very surprised at the growth of the sps 

I didn't really think the sps would make it in the jar.

My gold hammer I added was never happy in my other tank but seems to be blooming nicely in the jar. It's the nicest and happiest it's ever looked.

I added another acan. Blue ice. It's very different looking and in pics it looks different at different angles. Sometimes it looks grey and blue and other times wine and blue.

Over all I'm pleased with the growth.

20180314_033808.jpg

20180314_034127.jpg

20180314_033248.jpg

20180309_170002.jpg

20180309_165954.jpg

20180309_170018.jpg

20180314_034211.jpg

• Like 7

That is really cool how some coral that never flourished in your other tank are now thriving in the reef jar.  I have experienced the same thing with my jar.  Its quite rewarding.

• Like 1

I have some new builders in messaging that I’ll link here such a great job, documentation and outcomes 

invasions bested 

sand forced to comply, not filthy, and the rock details show this by not having whiskered growth in between the corals in the closeup shots, clearly your corals are great but I don’t focus on the obvious stuff much, it’s the interstitial details that remark upon how you guided this tank for months. It’s also possible to have coral growth plus an enduring algae challenge abutting them, but not here.

The algae control issue large tanks I’m working on up top need to see this mini model, coming up. Well done ma’am

B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2018 at 8:32 AM, brandon429 said:

I have some new builders in messaging that I’ll link here such a great job, documentation and outcomes 

invasions bested 

sand forced to comply, not filthy, and the rock details show this by not having whiskered growth in between the corals in the closeup shots, clearly your corals are great but I don’t focus on the obvious stuff much, it’s the interstitial details that remark upon how you guided this tank for months. It’s also possible to have coral growth plus an enduring algae challenge abutting them, but not here.

The algae control issue large tanks I’m working on up top need to see this mini model, coming up. Well done ma’am

B

I used the rip clean method in the beginning when I had algae issues.

It was great and never had issues again besides typical glass algae.

I have throughout the contest emptied the jar for thorough cleaning and rearranged things too.

It was fun being able to change the look so easily and I learned a lot from this wee little jar. 

Various experiences that I have not had with my other tanks. Like warfare!

My latest update. My acan lord fell on my trumpet, yup the whole head of the trumpet is gone and it had 2 mouths!?

I think the snail knocked over the coral.

So I had to move some stuff around.

The acan enchinata was removed, the sweepers in such a small tank was an issue. 

The acan is on the bottom- far away from my rapidly growing red monti.

My leptastrea didn't make it. Sucker had done poorly in every tank of mine from day one.

This is the last pic I had before I moved things around slightly.

Will update with the final fts tmw.

20180309_170254.jpg

• Like 4

Well done laser clean pics and dedicated maintenance here! this jar will run as long as you command it to run, provided you have a no nerf ball rule for the room ha