ReefCleaners.org

Clown79

On 11/2/2017 at 1:28 AM, 1967type1 said:

I’ve looked at desk lamps but all have covers around the bulb and from what I’ve read you need to keep the par38 bulbs completely open or else they over heat.

if you go to walmart, staples or some place, and verify before purchase, chances are really good you'll just be able to take the cover off. They generally just screw off when there's no bulb in them.  

• Thanks 1
On 11/6/2017 at 12:48 AM, 1967type1 said:

Can you send me a link to it?

I've got this one over two tanks.  The shade is detachable but I left it on my jar since it's on my desk and I'd be blinded otherwise.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2017 at 8:51 PM, Felicia said:

Hi!  Just a reminder to please pm me your November full tank shot (FTS) along with the link to your build thread by the end of the day on November 30th.

So sorry for the delay. I have been sick for 2 weeks.

Will pm you now.

Just now, Clown79 said:

So sorry for the delay. I have been sick for 2 weeks.

Will pm you now.

No worries!  I hope you're feeling better!  I've had a crazy week trying to get everything done before traveling for work tomorrow.  I'll be travelling all day tomorrow, so I likely won't get these all posted for a few days anyway.  :)

Things have been good besides being super sick! 

I have added corals to the tank now.

There's

birdsnest

Candy cane

Acan enchinata 

Zoas

Meteor shower

2 pom poms and 1 hermit.

20171130_205151.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Felicia said:

No worries!  I hope you're feeling better!  I've had a crazy week trying to get everything done before traveling for work tomorrow.  I'll be travelling all day tomorrow, so I likely won't get these all posted for a few days anyway.  :)

You have been doing a lot of work on this contest.

Thank you so much for all you've done!

Safe travels?

This is one of those colds that lingers...its putting me behind on my tanks?

20171204_174657.thumb.jpg.60f1f0bc38099919244298fc0dc1b9b5.jpg

On 01/12/2017 at 9:41 PM, vlangel said:

Wow, your container looks great.  I like the way your rock and coral are working together.  The little antennae from the invert are pretty cute too.

Thank you?

So far the Pico is doing well.

I switched back to my 24watt par38. Everything has responded well so my original coral issues wasn't the light but the ammonia spike.

I do weekly 100% waterchanges which is easy and quick.

I find there is a lot of detritus floating around even with 100% waterchanges and full out vacuuming of sand.

I feed the tank  sparingly. 

My meteor shower had been damaged from the ammonia spike, so it was removed until the ammonia processed.

Happy to say the meteor shower has recovered completely after being returned to the jar. 

I fragged my green leather and added a piece to the jar.

I found a hitchiker- not sure exactly what it is but it's tiny!

20171206_213045.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
fishfreak0114

I love how poofy the trumpet is!  And I'm glad to hear that the corals are doing well and that the meteor shower recovered :) As for the hitchhiker, the closest thing I've seen to it is vayssierea felis.  I had a couple of those at one point, but I haven't seen any in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 9:39 PM, Clown79 said:

20171204_174657.thumb.jpg.60f1f0bc38099919244298fc0dc1b9b5.jpg

Thank you?

So far the Pico is doing well.

I switched back to my 24watt par38. Everything has responded well so my original coral issues wasn't the light but the ammonia spike.

I do weekly 100% waterchanges which is easy and quick.

I find there is a lot of detritus floating around even with 100% waterchanges and full out vacuuming of sand.

I feed the tank  sparingly. 

My meteor shower had been damaged from the ammonia spike, so it was removed until the ammonia processed.

Happy to say the meteor shower has recovered completely after being returned to the jar. 

I fragged my green leather and added a piece to the jar.

I found a hitchiker- not sure exactly what it is but it's tiny!

20171206_213045.jpg

Hitchhiker looks a little like a nudi I also got as a hitchhiker a while back.

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hitchhiker looks a little like a nudi I also got as a hitchhiker a while back.

Thanks. I thought about nudi too. Haven't seen it again...i thought it was cute!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Thanks. I thought about nudi too. Haven't seen it again...i thought it was cute!

Mine was yellow with black where it had digested algae, I narrowed it down to two species from opposite sides of the world lol.  Came from Legendary Corals.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Mine was yellow with black where it had digested algae, I narrowed it down to two species from opposite sides of the world lol.  Came from Legendary Corals.

I got my first banded trochus snail from Legendary Corals :P I'll consider myself lucky!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So December came and is almost gone...time flies!

Pico has been going pretty smoothly. I do 100% waterchanges weekly which take about 10mins at most.

Had some algae issues but I decided to give the Pico a full out cleaning. I took everything out, scrubbed the glass, the rocks, did a thorough sand vacuum and the algae has been under control since.

Still running the Pico with no heater.

Between the hydor Pico pump and the 24watt par38 the temp is stable at 78.

I have added some corals to the tank.

I fragged my green leather and xenia from my 10g. 

The leather I layed on a small piece of rock and lightly wrapped it with an elastic band. Within 2 weeks it attached.

The xenia I glued directly to the rock and it worked.? it doesn't normally.

I also added some red monti digitata from my 25g , and a  red acan which i got for $5.

I somehow hit my trumpet so one isn't looking so hot right now but hopefully it bounces back.

There are 2 pom pom crabs, a hermit, a spiny star snail, asterina stars, and my resident hitchhiker nudibranch which is too cute to remove!

First pic is before waterchange

Second is after waterchange and rearranging corals.

I have my collection of sands and shells from my snorkeling trips next to my pico

20171228_172006.jpg

20171228_182254.jpg

20171228_182323.jpg

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

So December came and is almost gone...time flies!

Pico has been going pretty smoothly. I do 100% waterchanges weekly which take about 10mins at most.

Had some algae issues but I decided to give the Pico a full out cleaning. I took everything out, scrubbed the glass, the rocks, did a thorough sand vacuum and the algae has been under control since.

Still running the Pico with no heater.

Between the hydor Pico pump and the 24watt par38 the temp is stable at 78.

I have added some corals to the tank.

I fragged my green leather and xenia from my 10g. 

The leather I layed on a small piece of rock and lightly wrapped it with an elastic band. Within 2 weeks it attached.

The xenia I glued directly to the rock and it worked.? it doesn't normally.

I also added some red monti digitata from my 25g , and a  red acan which i got for $5.

I somehow hit my trumpet so one isn't looking so hot right now but hopefully it bounces back.

There are 2 pom pom crabs, a hermit, a spiny star snail, asterina stars, and my resident hitchhiker nudibranch which is too cute to remove!

First pic is before waterchange

Second is after waterchange and rearranging corals.

I have my collection of sands and shells from my snorkeling trips next to my pico

20171228_172006.jpg

20171228_182254.jpg

20171228_182323.jpg

How are your two pom poms getting along?  I added one to my 5.5 which had poms (my old one did not) and they shared!  They both come out at different times in different spots, it's so cute!

• Like 1
On 28/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, Lula_Mae said:

How are your two pom poms getting along?  I added one to my 5.5 which had poms (my old one did not) and they shared!  They both come out at different times in different spots, it's so cute!

The first pom pom was from my 25g and it lost its poms in the Pico due to an ammonia spike. When I added the other one they shared his poms within an hr of adding him-it was very cute.

But now he has no pom's and the other has 1?

They seem to get along well, I haven't had any issues that I have witnessed.

• Like 3
On 1/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, Clown79 said:

The first pom pom was from my 25g and it lost its poms in the Pico due to an ammonia spike. When I added the other one they shared his poms within an hr of adding him-it was very cute.

But now he has no pom's and the other has 1?

They seem to get along well, I haven't had any issues that I have witnessed.

I've heard sometimes they'll set down their poms and pick them up later, mine seem to do that sometimes.  Is it consistently that they only have the one between them?  Hopefully maybe they'll frag the one when it's big enough and share again.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've heard sometimes they'll set down their poms and pick them up later, mine seem to do that sometimes.  Is it consistently that they only have the one between them?  Hopefully maybe they'll frag the one when it's big enough and share again.

I didn't know they set down their poms!

I will keep an eye out and see if that's what's happening.

• Like 1

This week I did a complete overhaul.

I removed all the corals, rocks, and inverts, from the tank.

Removed the sand and washed it completely.

Scraped the jar with a straight razor, so much easier on an empty container.

Then I replaced it all.

Redid the whole aquascape. The new one gives me more room.

I added a Hollywood stunner to the tank.

The $5 acan that wasn't in great shape is coming along nicely.20180108_211804.thumb.jpg.0253e9fd7f235e9b969d7d059f7eed20.jpg

20180105_223633.jpg

20180107_172628.jpg

• Like 7

It definitely helps to have an empty jar when thoroughly cleaning.  Were you shocked how clear the jar looked when everything settled?  I know I was when I cleaned.  I wished it would stay pristine!