Pod Your Reef

Clown79

Ordered a new light and pump

Abi Tuna blue 12w and small fountain pump.

I plan on converting my 5g fluval spec from FW planted to sw reef so the jar inhabitants and equipment will be transferred over.

• Like 2

Hope the lower wattage works for you!  I have heard of people using some translucent paper or something to cover too-intense PAR lighting but never figured it out myself lol.

On 23/10/2017 at 8:39 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Hope the lower wattage works for you!  I have heard of people using some translucent paper or something to cover too-intense PAR lighting but never figured it out myself lol.

I hope so too.

I tried mesh in between the lid and jar for now.

There's a bit of ammonia showing up on my mom badge so I added some prime in there since theres a crab in there and coral attached to the liverock 

• Like 2

I pulled my macro and corals out. Shit not doing great and I'm not sure why?

Possibly ammonia? I used established liverock and dry rock. Gonna test now as the ammonia badge is hard to read.

SelectedByNature
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I pulled my macro and corals out. Shit not doing great and I'm not sure why?

Possibly ammonia? I used established liverock and dry rock. Gonna test now as the ammonia badge is hard to read.

Arg so frustrating :[

Keep at it

Just tested ammonia- wow. 6.1! 

Now my test kit is old and a cheap hagen kit but I tested my other tank which reads 0.

Been adding prime to my tank due to the pom pom in there...bugger was on the rock. 

How does prime effect the test results For ammonia.

So confused a bit. I used established liverock and 1 piece of dry rock. Both were soaking together in sw for a week before set up. 

Ammonia badge showed 0 ammonia and diatoms started.

I've done 2 water changes on the tank and it's still this high?

Do I just leave it now and let it process?

• Wow 2
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

How does prime effect the test results For ammonia.

Prime doesn't get rid of ammonia, it just converts it to ammonium (which is a lot less toxic).  This is only temporary and the ammonium will convert back to free ammonia after about 24 hours.  So you would have to continue to dose.  Eventually Prime will even cause false positives.

Instead, move all the livestock to your other tank and just let these rocks cycle.

8 minutes ago, seabass said:

Prime doesn't get rid of ammonia, it just converts it to ammonium (which is a lot less toxic).  This is only temporary and the ammonium will convert back to free ammonia after about 24 hours.  So you would have to continue to dose.  Eventually Prime will even cause false positives.

Instead, move all the livestock to your other tank and just let these rock cycle.

Ya, I have been dosing daily. 

I can't catch the pom pom but everything else has been moved. So no corals (other than paly on the lr) 

I will move the hermit back to my tank. 

Will the tank process at 6.1?

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Will the tank process at 6.1?

Eventually, but above 5 ppm, everything slows down.

Do as large of a water change as possible and continue to monitor ammonia.  If it goes above 5 ppm again, change out the water again.

Oh, and to answer your previous question.  Your test kit probably checks for total ammonia, so it's still detecting ammonia even though it's ammonium.

20 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

So confused a bit. I used established liverock and 1 piece of dry rock.

The dry rock is probably producing the ammonia.  I would separate it and see it that's the case.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, seabass said:

Eventually, but above 5 ppm, everything slows down.

Do as large of a water change as possible and continue to monitor ammonia.  If it goes above 5 ppm again, change out the water again.

Oh, and to answer your previous question.  Your test kit probably checks for total ammonia, so it's still detecting ammonia even though it's ammonium.

The dry rock is probably producing the ammonia.  I would separate it and see it that's the case.

I did a 100% waterchange today. That's the higher I have ever seen ammonia in any tank I have started.

Gonna buy another test cause I'm converting a 5g to sw so I will need one any way?

55 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I did a 100% waterchange today. That's the higher I have ever seen ammonia in any tank I have started.

Gonna buy another test cause I'm converting a 5g to sw so I will need one any way?

Man that really is frustrating and I'm sorry for the coral you did lose. Just my two cents but I would recommend just letting it sit for a while to let things get established. You shouldn't have to be doing so many water changes on a tank that small this early. The corals have enough flow and light but probably lack the proper nutrition in the tank/water to stay alive and thrive. 

I would also recommend possibly adding some live nitrifying bacteria to the tank. Something like Fritz 9 or Biosphere (not sure if that's the actual name) to help get things more established. 

Best of luck with everything. I'm sure you will get it figured out! 

1 hour ago, TFish77 said:

Man that really is frustrating and I'm sorry for the coral you did lose. Just my two cents but I would recommend just letting it sit for a while to let things get established. You shouldn't have to be doing so many water changes on a tank that small this early. The corals have enough flow and light but probably lack the proper nutrition in the tank/water to stay alive and thrive. 

I would also recommend possibly adding some live nitrifying bacteria to the tank. Something like Fritz 9 or Biosphere (not sure if that's the actual name) to help get things more established. 

Best of luck with everything. I'm sure you will get it figured out! 

Thank you.

I thought I already finished my cycle, that's why the waterchange.

Luckily I haven't lost anything, I moved it to another tank

What light fixture are you using for the ABI tuna blue? Im ordering one soon and am struggling with what to put it in. Would love to see more pics of the tank.

I’ve looked at desk lamps but all have covers around the bulb and from what I’ve read you need to keep the par38 bulbs completely open or else they over heat.

2 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I like the shell ascent on the jar. Crazy the ammonia got so high with established rock and 1 dry rock.

I think the ammonia was caused by a dead coral. I had some Gsp in there and found it under the pump all mush. 

Since the new light, things have started to improve.

Thank you

• Like 2
On 11/2/2017 at 2:28 AM, 1967type1 said:

I’ve looked at desk lamps but all have covers around the bulb and from what I’ve read you need to keep the par38 bulbs completely open or else they over heat.

I have one with a wide cover I got from Amazon and left it on so I'm not blinded with it on my desk. No heat issues yet.