Top Shelf Aquatics

Clown79

Here we go into the journey of pico's!!

My first ever entry into a contest  and my first Pico...2 new experiences!

This Pico is going to be centred on some of my best memories...snorkeling.

During my travels I started snorkeling, it was the most relaxing and amazing experience. It was like being in my own personal heaven?

When I travel, my days are spent exploring the ocean.

I will be adding seashells and dead coral pieces to my Pico which  I collected during my explorations. 

I have been waiting for a perfect opportunity to use these items and now I have one. 

My memories in a jar!

I decided on a 1 gallon cookie jar. Nothing fancy but I like the lid which will help with evaporation and contain temp.

I will be using an aqueon 10watt heater controlled with a light timer...for now

Par38 10k 50/50 24 watt- due to the wattage the bulb is being placed higher up than normal.

Hydor Pico powerhead for flow

Here's my jar with my other favourite condiment 

More to come, stay tuned.

20171012_212008.jpg

• Like 14
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Tagging along. :happy:

I really wanted  bubble gum machine tank!

But I've also always wanted a round one...too many choices. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Does PAR 38 bulb fit/work in most normal light fixtures?

Yes they do. They screw into the normal lightbulb socket, E26/E27.

Ha ha, I wanted a bubble gum machine too but decided the metal frame would be a disaster in no time with saltwater and the plastic one were too risky as far as springing a leak.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Ha ha, I wanted a bubble gum machine too but decided the metal frame would be a disaster in no time with saltwater and the plastic one were too risky as far as springing a leak.

It would need modification

• Like 1

I'm planning on changing the container.

I want one with a lid. 

I am currently curing liverock as I figure out what to do for heating and also finding a new container.

I so far have my stand and light set up and ready to go, I have sand, and now rock curing.

I'm thinking of using my aqueon with one of my inkbird controllers.

015905061933MAIN-jpg.jpg

On 10/11/2017 at 1:22 AM, Clown79 said:

I'm planning on changing the container.

I want one with a lid. 

I am currently curing liverock as I figure out what to do for heating and also finding a new container.

I so far have my stand and light set up and ready to go, I have sand, and now rock curing.

I'm thinking of using my aqueon with one of my inkbird controllers.

015905061933MAIN-jpg.jpg

That's what I had make sure you use a controller it had my tank at 86*

3 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

That's what I had make sure you use a controller it had my tank at 86*

I used it on a 5g and it was crazy how high it got!

I have been doing some testing with it on a light timer. Got to fiddle with it a bit more.

Trying to challenge myself on creating this build with no purchases outside the container, only use what I have.

• Like 4

I got to  work on my pico today.

I had so much fun with this jar. This could get addictive:lol:

I played around with a few aquascapes and finally decided to go with something different. 

My vision for this tank is a mini version of a cylindrical tank. Instead of building a wall of rocks and corals, I went with an island of rock in the middle.

The island is shaped differently than normal, I wanted something different.

The rock is surrounded by seashells and a coral skeleton which I collected on my favourite snorkeling trip...honestly one of the best experiences of my life!

I used caribsea's aragamax select sand with 2 tablespoons of fiji pink sand from my established tank. 

I used a piece of established liverock from my 15g I saved during my transfer and I added a piece of dry rock. Both of these had been sitting in a container for a week already.

On the liverock there is a zoa and piece of Monti that I wasn't even aware of until I aquascaped. 

I used Reef Welder( I love this stuff!!) to epoxy the rocks together

the hydor pico  is giving a nice flow in the jar, I will play with it some more until it's "perfect". 

unfortunately this model came with this huge plastic cartridge to hold the pump so there are no suction cups to keep it up. Right now its sitting on a rock.

I might have to buy a tiny pump with a suction cup...if i can find one locally.

There is no heater for now. The temp has been sitting stable at 80, during lights on and off. I hope it stays that way. 

I'm using a glass thermometer as the digital one I have is not functioning properly.

I currently have an ammonia badge in the jar and there is no ammonia present, I suspect it's from using established liverock.

Now it's time to plan the rest of my vision for the tank

I love the effects given by the glass.  it's makes the rocks look so much bigger than they are once water was added.

the third pic, it looks like the rock is up against the glass but it isn't

052.jpg

pico 1.jpg

pico 2.jpg

053.jpg

• Like 12
  • Wow 2
16 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Not sure how high to place my light?

it's 24 watts

5 blue, 5 white 10k

2 uv

If you can, I'd suggest around 24" above the water line to start, then adjust from there.  Natalia has her 12w light about 18" up which is why I suggest this.

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

If you can, I'd suggest around 24" above the water line to start, then adjust from there.  Natalia has her 12w light about 18" up which is why I suggest this.

Thank you. I'm going to try it now.

20171014_205303.thumb.jpg.b65373f67cc63e05a4d625e68c622f20.jpg

12" above first pic, 20" the second pic 

20171014_205329.jpg

• Like 5