SaltCritters.com

Into the Shallows - Tamberav's C. C. Pico

Tamberav

Tossed some rock in and a tiny fountain pump to get the cycle going.... its late and idc about the scape atm, in fact I would like to fill it to the brim with corals to the point scape shouldn't even matter. I had sand but I instantly got triggered and did my very 1st 100% water change 1 min after it was born. 

37267111560_9f7c674697_c.jpg2017-10-05_11-59-22 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Tossed some rock in and a tiny fountain pump to get the cycle going.... its late and idc about the scape atm, in fact I would like to fill it to the brim with corals to the point scape shouldn't even matter. I had sand but I instantly got triggered and did my very 1st 100% water change 1 min after it was born. 

Triggered!

• Like 1

Water is much clearer this morning and so far the pump is not overheating the water, we will see what happens when I add a light.

First signs of life! Tiny asterina starfish on the glass!

37485280846_28c83c5f14_c.jpg2017-10-06_10-36-35 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

11 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Wow!  That's shallow - and small!  LIke it!  Following!  Good luck!

Yeah, never done anything this small before... :scarry: Really liked this bowl because it is ultra clear, and apparently hand blown glass. Will have to tackle evaporation. 

They did have other colors too including a black one which I was tempted to get but hubby liked the clear one so you could see the color pop through the side from across the room.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Water is much clearer this morning and so far the pump is not overheating the water, we will see what happens when I add a light.

First signs of life! Tiny asterina starfish on the glass!

37485280846_28c83c5f14_c.jpg2017-10-06_10-36-35 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Yeah, never done anything this small before... :scarry: Really liked this bowl because it is ultra clear, and apparently hand blown glass. Will have to tackle evaporation. 

It's hard to tell the diameter of the bowl but you may want to look for one of those acrylic containers that have the lid attached with a metal ring and closure.  They come in all sizes and you can disassemble the ring and the lid comes right off...and the awesome thing about them is they usually come with a rubber gasket.   It's what I use on my bowl.

• Like 1

I'm guessing no fish?  So.... could you use a bit of saran wrap to cover 3/4 of the top?  Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks.  

• Like 2

This gave me unescessary ideas. I now want to try a super shallow rectangular pico with the same build im using for my 2 gal high right now... the girlfriend is going to pummel me through a wall ???

Definitely following this. (Try cutting some thin acryclic sheet and covering the rim of your glass in plastic tubing to create an airtight containment)

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I'm guessing no fish?  So.... could you use a bit of saran wrap to cover 3/4 of the top?  Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks.  

I am open to ideas! Evap isn't doing much of anything right now since no heater or light yet. I may have to make some sort of bad looking top out of scrap acrylic just to use when I am not home to keep kitten paws out of the tank.

No fish, they would jump right out I bet...but plan on lots of invert life. 

12 minutes ago, TheRope said:

This gave me unescessary ideas. I now want to try a super shallow rectangular pico with the same build im using for my 2 gal high right now... the girlfriend is going to pummel me through a wall ???

Definitely following this. (Try cutting some thin acryclic sheet and covering the rim of your glass in plastic tubing to create an airtight containment)

I think it would be super sweet! I almost bought a 3g rubbermade that was pretty shallow.

33 minutes ago, FishNCars said:

good luck, that is tiny

Thank you!

• Like 1

I ordered a plant hanger, cord, and a heater from amazon... finally moving along! 

4 hours ago, gena said:

Very cool!  I wonder how that tiny pump would do with sand?  Is that why you removed the sand? :lol:

It should be fine as long as its not right on top of the sand.

A couple reasons, the bowl is not flat but concave bottom so sand wants to move and fill the sides, its shallow so the pump will probably move the sand because it would literally sit on it... and I felt like the sand was going to be a pain in the ass to clean once it is full of corals. because I plan on having the corals all over the bottom, not anchored to a rock structure (since I really have no room for rock). I want it so full you can't see the bottom but we will see what my wallet thinks and if I can even be successful :P

I was thinking if all the corals attached to the glass, it would be easy to flush out the bowl. 

• Like 4
On 10/6/2017 at 1:14 AM, Tamberav said:

this made me laugh so hard!  *triggered*

Also I love this rockscape

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lugmos12 said:

this made me laugh so hard!  *triggered*

Also I love this rockscape

:lol:

Thanks! I didn't want it to just be a bowl of corals so want some rock out of the tank for effect, put some live plants on it, make it a lagoon.

• Like 3

Looking for ideas for corals that look best top down, are short, no big sweeper tentacles, and don't grow too large.

Here is my list so far: 

Zoas/Pallys

Shrooms/Rics

Acans (careful placement, have sweepers but probably worth)

Bali Red Mini Maxi

Dendros

Blastos

Cyphastrea

Encrusting Montis

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I ordered a plant hanger, cord, and a heater from amazon... finally moving along! 

It should be fine as long as its not right on top of the sand.

A couple reasons, the bowl is not flat but concave bottom so sand wants to move and fill the sides, its shallow so the pump will probably move the sand because it would literally sit on it... and I felt like the sand was going to be a pain in the ass to clean once it is full of corals. because I plan on having the corals all over the bottom, not anchored to a rock structure (since I really have no room for rock). I want it so full you can't see the bottom but we will see what my wallet thinks and if I can even be successful :P

I was thinking if all the corals attached to the glass, it would be easy to flush out the bowl. 

Excellent plan.  The triggered thing made me laugh too :D.

• Haha 1

Finally some progress, feels like YEARS! :lol: I need to find some zip ties for cord management under my table and I have yet to set up an ATO but the tank now has a flat betta heater on a controller (hidden under the rock) and a light :) The mountain was perfect to hide the cords.

37644265061_2e89990a13_c.jpg2017-10-11_05-32-09 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

• Like 12