Coral Vue Hydros

Brain Coral Pico - schgr.cube's creative container contest entry

schgr.cube

6 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Got part of my light done, need to hang it and mount the actual socket. Also filled the stand with sand. I'm not filling the container yet as I still need to work on the clarity a little bit, although I have made some progress with it.

37663097832_9589069787_b.jpg

37695462681_5a5f6170f9_b.jpg

37646548926_4cb944d4fd_b.jpg

37663098002_ef6811db1c_b.jpg

Going to buy one of the ABI par bulbs off Amazon tomorrow, just not sure which one yet...:unsure:

Thats quite interesting.  The coral are going to look like his brains.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, gena said:

Very nice.  Even upside down it looks really neat.  and I like your homemade boxes!

Thanks! I’m happier with it than I had originally thought I would be. And the boxes were made from one broken old box that I chopped up!

9 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Despite the challenges you've faced so far, this is really coming together nicely!

Keep it up, I love what you've done so far. :)

Thank you, I really appreciate it! Big updates coming tomorrow and Monday. :D

5 hours ago, Rene said:

Your mini woodworking skills are making this look quite classy. If you apply that same aesthetic to the rest of the build, you're going to be in good shape!

Thanks! I do have some plans that fit the theme, I will hopefully be able to complete them tomorrow. I drew something up, but my drawing is terrible lol. 

4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Thats quite interesting.  The coral are going to look like his brains.

Hah! Someone actually recently suggested I make a little acan garden to give it some brains. I’ll have to ponder that. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Nickbruh510 said:

This looks fantastic.Throw a big gsp rock in there lol

Thanks! I am planning on putting some GSP for sure, but I feel like I want a decent amount of diversity in here. We’ll see!

My light fixture is done! I need to figure out hanging it, but at least I have something to screw a bulb into! The ABI Tuna Blue Par38 will be here Tuesday, so hopefully I can get everything situated before then. I'm going to wait to take pictures of the filled tank until I add some more rock, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

37723081061_971aae07f5_b.jpg

• Like 8
23 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

My light fixture is done! I need to figure out hanging it, but at least I have something to screw a bulb into! The ABI Tuna Blue Par38 will be here Tuesday, so hopefully I can get everything situated before then. I'm going to wait to take pictures of the filled tank until I add some more rock, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

:wub:

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

That light fixture is so nifty.  Good work!

• Thanks 1

The Light:

I received my ABI 12W Tuna Blue Par38 just now, and I'm pretty impressed with it for just $25! It feels just as sturdy as the Coral Compulsion bulb I had in the past, and the color seems nice. I'll post up pictures of the head in a moment, but here are some shots of the bulb / fixture for now:

37054813574_9aa1e0d38f_b.jpg

37054813274_cdeb9beb52_b.jpg

I had to build this thing based off the measurements I found online, as I didn't have another bulb to use in the meantime! I think it turned out pretty well:

23910898948_383c543c6d_b.jpg[/url]

Head shots incoming....

• Like 9

The Container:

I filled it up two nights ago, added some more rock in last night (broke apart a big rock in my 25 Lagoon, which may have been a mistake...), and have been letting it sit overnight. There is a bit of sand-dust resting on the glass that I didn't feel like cleaning, which makes this look a little less clear than it does in person.

37505549070_59ecbe503c_b.jpg

The clarity is a little rough in some spots, but is pretty good from the side / back-side of the head....

37715727756_22ce05cdba_b.jpg

...and is the worst from the front where the face is:

37505548850_f50113a839_b.jpg

I will likely put some test coral in tomorrow, once I finish mounting the light.

• Like 10
39 minutes ago, Harrisonbored said:

This came out great!  What are you using for water movement?

Thank you! I am using a smallish pump I was given by a friend, I think it’s from a smaller filter. I took it out for the photo because I haven’t really figured out placement yet, and will likely be replacing it very soon. 

33 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I can't wait to see coral in there!  I like how your diy canopy is in the same vein as the box the head sits in.  Great job on the canopy.

Thank you! It was all the same wood, so it’s meant to go together for sure. I have some more plans for it, but I’m not sure if it will work out. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, schgr.cube said:

The Light:

I received my ABI 12W Tuna Blue Par38 just now, and I'm pretty impressed with it for just $25! It feels just as sturdy as the Coral Compulsion bulb I had in the past, and the color seems nice. I'll post up pictures of the head in a moment, but here are some shots of the bulb / fixture for now:

37054813574_9aa1e0d38f_b.jpg

37054813274_cdeb9beb52_b.jpg

I had to build this thing based off the measurements I found online, as I didn't have another bulb to use in the meantime! I think it turned out pretty well:

23910898948_383c543c6d_b.jpg[/url]

Head shots incoming....

Awesome! My light came in today too! I think it’s a little too blue for my taste so I covered one or two of the blue LED’s. Speaking of which- it doesn’t look too blue in your pics, what camera do you use?

mannn this tank is looking nice. I’m very impressed, surpassed my expectations already. Too much LR though in my opinion. Not enough coral real estate lol.

What’s the volume of this container? I’m thinking it’s pretty small, similar to my contest pico (0.5G). If so, don’t buy a heater until you’re sure you need one- I bought one and then realized I most definitely don’t need it! Tanks at 82F right now with no heater..

9 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Awesome! My light came in today too! I think it’s a little too blue for my taste so I covered one or two of the blue LED’s. Speaking of which- it doesn’t look too blue in your pics, what camera do you use?

mannn this tank is looking nice. I’m very impressed, surpassed my expectations already. Too much LR though in my opinion. Not enough coral real estate lol.

What’s the volume of this container? I’m thinking it’s pretty small, similar to my contest pico (0.5G). If so, don’t buy a heater until you’re sure you need one- I bought one and then realized I most definitely don’t need it! Tanks at 82F right now with no heater..

While I certainly think the light is blue, it’s not as blue as I thought it would be and I do like the color. I need to figure out how high to mount it though. And I have the Samsung NX3000, which is okay but not amazing. 

I thought the tank was a half half gallon before for some reason, but I poured almost a full gallon in once I had a little rock and sand in it. I may have put too much rock in, I couldn’t really see what I was doing last night when i put it in due to cloudiness. I’ll likely take some out. I do have a heater, but a friend is giving me an old ReefKeeper Lite so I will be able to control it! My house gets super cold, and this is in the attic. 

1 hour ago, JoeR said:

Too much LR though in my opinion. Not enough coral real estate lol.

+1

Man, this is coming out nicely. The effect of the head in the sand is really interesting. With the light on, it's almost like it landed on the ocean floor and got taken over by marine life....or something...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

I like it!!!!

Thank you!!

40 minutes ago, Rene said:

+1

Man, this is coming out nicely. The effect of the head in the sand is really interesting. With the light on, it's almost like it landed on the ocean floor and got taken over by marine life....or something...

lol I'll take some rock out tomorrow...

And yeah, I thought it ended up looking pretty cool just as a lit container! I'm hoping it will continue to look nice once I fill it.

13 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

Throw a brain coral in there and call it a day. YW.

:P

Oh I’ve been so torn to just do this. I was debating trying to make the live rock look like a skull too....

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gena said:

This looks soooo good!!!!!  I think it's my favorite and there are so many good ones to choose from.  It's just so unique :wub:.

Thank you! I’ve been thinking yours is the one to keep up with so far, your coral looks so great already!

I finished mounting my light, I’ll take pictures in a little. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1