Jump to content

Brain Coral Pico - schgr.cube's creative container contest entry


schg

Recommended Posts

Setup:

 

Container:

Recycled glass head - $15, had a gift card so $0 from Pier 1

About 1 gallon, flipped upside down with a small glass lid from another container.

Placed into a custom build stand made of a recycled old wooden box.

 

37649239272_4863c52766_b.jpg

 

Light:

ABI 12W Tuna Blue PAR38 bulb - $25 on Amazon

Custom built fixture using a recycled metal socket, recycled wooden shades from the same wooden box as the stand.

 

23910898948_383c543c6d_b.jpg

 

Flow:

Pump from a small filter that is kind of noisy, might be replacing with a mini pond pump. - $0 for now

 

Heater:

Aqueon mini 10W, will be hooked up to an old ReefKeeper Lite that I am being given by a friend - $0 for both

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Nice! B)

 

17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Very cool! 

Thanks!!

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

That is really cool! Is there an opening on the top side on the back?

There is not, and I was told I could not cut the top of the head open. I was going to take a 3" diamond hole saw bit and try to cut out the top of the head for access that way, as well as having a lid. I am going to just flip it upside down now, and make something that cradles it level.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, schgr.cube said:

 

Thanks!!

There is not, and I was told I could not cut the top of the head open. I was going to take a 3" diamond hole saw bit and try to cut out the top of the head for access that way, as well as having a lid. I am going to just flip it upside down now, and make something that cradles it level.

Your tank will look like it's doing a headstand! :lol:

Link to comment

Better picture of the "container":

23664578918_29dd5b44dc_h.jpg

I have a few plans for what I am going to do, as I know this seems like a very odd choice for this contest. I think I have pretty much every issue solved so far (especially the orientation of the head!), but I am a bit worried on the clarity of the glass. I have been looking at carefully using cerium oxide to polish up the outside of the glass, as it has a little bit of that "recycled" glass look. The inside is perfectly smooth.

 

Any ideas on this part, let me know!

Link to comment
Harrisonbored

That's an awesome idea!

I used to have a very similar glass head years back that I flipped and used as a flower vase...up until some devil cat knocked it over and shattered it.

 

following!

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The pun! :lol:

Oh, the Pun!

2 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Better picture of the "container":

23664578918_29dd5b44dc_h.jpg

I have a few plans for what I am going to do, as I know this seems like a very odd choice for this contest. I think I have pretty much every issue solved so far (especially the orientation of the head!), but I am a bit worried on the clarity of the glass. I have been looking at carefully using cerium oxide to polish up the outside of the glass, as it has a little bit of that "recycled" glass look. The inside is perfectly smooth.

 

Any ideas on this part, let me know!

The clarity of the glass is what I was worried about here. Hope you can pull it off

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Oh, the Pun!

The clarity of the glass is what I was worried about here. Hope you can pull it off

Worst case scenario, it will still look decent from the angle I will have it at. The clarity is worst at the front, which is not technically where you will be looking head on with this build. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

That is certainly a unique choice for a container and it will be fun following along to see what you do with it.

:lol: I like unique!

 

I think once I get everything together, it will become less of a gimmick.

 

I expect this thing to be wet by Sunday!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

 I have a lot of people who are disappointed I didn't even give it a real try!!! omgomgomg

 

Don't beat yourself up; life is all about perspective, you can't let the pundits get to you. What this situation calls for is good ole fashion American political spin (the kind that doesn't involve a scandal with a congressional intern... or does, your choice). For example, don't say you didn't give it "real try;" rather, say you gave a "spirited 100% college try!" And where I from, anything that doesn't catch the house on fire is passing. Keep up the great work!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

 

Don't beat yourself up; life is all about perspective, you can't let the pundits get to you. What this situation calls for is good ole fashion American political spin (the kind that doesn't involve a scandal with a congressional intern... or does, your choice). For example, don't say you didn't give it "real try;" rather, say you gave a "spirited 100% college try!" And where I from, anything that doesn't catch the house on fire is passing. Keep up the great work!!

Hahah you have been a true inspiration! I think you have kept me going on my journey.

Link to comment

Alright, I am going to give this another try. I will have to officially choose a container before the 31st, so I am going to put a little more effort into the lid situation. If I can figure out the lid, I will deal with the clarity so some extent.

 

Just a teaser of what I am thinking here:

37600938061_1bd40cb6e3_b.jpg

 

And some inspiration:

37342043560_4a22667eeb_b.jpg

 

:haha:

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Hahah you have been a true inspiration! I think you have kept me going on my journey.

No, you have had the strength deep within you this whole time.

 

Furthermore, as a slightly stale fortune cookie once told me, "rules are meant to be broken... your lucky number is 42,7,85,6,&11." I might have (probably) made that up, but either way, I say "screw it;" cut a hole in the top of that dead-behind-the-eyes-glass-manikin-head-container-thingy, and live your dream! Don't let the man (or rules committee) keep you down. Worst case scenario, revert to the tried and true "it came like that."

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

No, you have had the strength deep within you this whole time.

 

Furthermore, as a slightly stale fortune cookie once told me, "rules are meant to be broken... your lucky number is 42,7,85,6,&11." I might have (probably) made that up, but either way, I say "screw it;" cut a hole in the top of that dead-behind-the-eyes-glass-manikin-head-container-thingy, and live your dream! Don't let the man (or rules committee) keep you down. Worst case scenario, revert to the tried and true "it came like that."

I should have just done that from the get go. No one would have been the wiser!

 

Clarity is still an issue at that point, i think all you would see is blurry colors. <_<

Link to comment

Brainstorming here.

 

I tried a few lid options tonight, and couldn't find anything I liked and / or was comfortable with. I haven't found a cork big enough in person, but I found one online for about $8 shipped. My idea is as follows: Cork the bottom of the head, with a cutout on one edge of the cork just big enough for cables and a drain / fill tube to fit. In order to avoid the hole leaking when filled, I would want to angle the bottom of the jar slightly higher than the top of it.

 

36933885363_f56eee19ec_b.jpg

 

The head is going to be resting in the tray I pictured earlier, which will then be filled with sand, as if it had washed up on the beach like this. I will likely angle the actual face up for the light to shine through, because the side of the face is the most clear.

 

Thoughts?

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...