Top Shelf Aquatics

Tana's Pico Tower

tanacharison

tanacharison

It's not a easy FTS

40540600432_b3ab05c17c_z.jpg

Growth..

39688291335_26792d43c6_z.jpg

No it's really that bright from the other side of the room.

39688275545_8277e91cac_z.jpg

This is a show stopping favia.. if it stays this color.

40540600602_2f279756cc_z.jpg

Lower deck level looking good, the Kenya is not perky today.

40540600942_f89916bb67_z.jpg

• Like 11
Oceanbox Designs
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

I picked up a Hydor Pico Mag 180! This thing is tiny but packs a good amount of flow.

Yep told you so! :) Been running it forever in my 12G for extra flow, when it get noisy just clean it and unplug/plug a few time until it's quiet. Love what you done with the reef jar so far! 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

How much do leathers like flow.. I'm not getting as much low on the lower end. Also started adding AF Phyto twice a week. 

My experience is that some leathers do alright in lower flow.

• Like 1

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
tanacharison

The contest might be over but this things got a long way to go! I finally added something more than coral.. I wanted 6 months of growth before I added this beautiful girl. Everyone meet Daenerys Stormborn aka the Unburnt aka Queen of the Seven Kingdoms aka a beautiful strawberry crab that will sit and watch all of season 8 with me. :wub: Does this give me the right to have 7 tanks? 

Daenerys Stormborn keeping the kingdom safe

40351016124_10bd15d332_z.jpg

Top down is always the best look at a reef.  This vase has little room for top down viewing.

26189438527_4c1f4a42f1_z.jpg

Lower Deck Level.. Might change this out after the next LC Sale

26188989727_1526026e0f_z.jpg

Slowest grower in the house but still best looking. The utters from my main tank have several heads now.

40351016644_00b4367bc7_z.jpg

• Like 6

This is one of my favorites. You've done a great job selecting corals and putting the right ones at the right levels.

And the crab is great!

• Like 1
tanacharison
On 3/27/2018 at 10:33 PM, teenyreef said:

This is one of my favorites. You've done a great job selecting corals and putting the right ones at the right levels.

And the crab is great!

Thanks! I really like yours as well.

Here are a few more pictures..

Dark FTS

26233633777_81b5f177b9_z.jpg

I really liked this one!

26233633477_27aa0555b0_z.jpg

Growing over rock.. I'm shocked how well this is growing and keeping color.  I think the 6 hour light cycle is helping with this a lot.

26233633177_a35e95cdf7_z.jpg

The clove polyps are not completely foresting this rock like GSP would.. Could be the interesting sponge on the backside.

26233632007_db996e4d8f_z.jpg

This lepto is almost impossible to capture true color on my camera with it dead center in the cylinder. It's growing great with deep blue fluffy polpys and its encrusting growth color is more of a teal green. I really, really like this little one.

41061964352_1121ef3b66_z.jpg

• Like 6
On 29/03/2018 at 10:00 PM, tanacharison said:

Thanks! I really like yours as well.

Here are a few more pictures..

Dark FTS

26233633777_81b5f177b9_z.jpg

I really liked this one!

26233633477_27aa0555b0_z.jpg

Growing over rock.. I'm shocked how well this is growing and keeping color.  I think the 6 hour light cycle is helping with this a lot.

26233633177_a35e95cdf7_z.jpg

The clove polyps are not completely foresting this rock like GSP would.. Could be the interesting sponge on the backside.

26233632007_db996e4d8f_z.jpg

This lepto is almost impossible to capture true color on my camera with it dead center in the cylinder. It's growing great with deep blue fluffy polpys and its encrusting growth color is more of a teal green. I really, really like this little one.

41061964352_1121ef3b66_z.jpg

Beautiful tank. I love the pics.

• Like 1
tanacharison

This was an amazingly fun contest! I was able to keep a wide range of corals in this pico keeping good color and continued growth. The shocking part is how well you can keep such a great small reef with only the simplest equipment. 12wt ABI bulb $25, Hydor Pico powerhead $25 and a 25wt Neo-Therm heater $60. My biggest mistake was not using a better heater early on. I had very wild swings before switching to the more expensive Neo-Therm. I really feel like the success of this tank highlights the importance of three key points to having a great reef, regardless of size.

1st Strong enough lighting. This light was all the power I needed for a small tank. Rather than complicated options on most modern LED lights like controlling intensity and color I just placed my corals at different levels of the tank to provide the correct about of light and used a cheap timer for on and off.

2nd Flow! This tank was pushing out what most people would assume it too much for such a small tank but I truly feel that to keep corals healthy they need it. The power head provided 180GPH so I'm way over the 10X-50X people run 

3rd Nutrient control. This tank has no crazy algae and is growing corals at a good rate.  Overstocking and overfeeding is every tank’s biggest mistake on a larger scale. I completed about 8 100% water changes in 6 months and the only consistent feeding was a drop of AF Energy once every 10-12 days. I plan to slowly increase the feedings now that I actually added something other than coral.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
tanacharison

So I've really neglected this tank while I was setting up the 54, no glass cleaning, just top offs and a little bit of the 2mm mysis pellets for the crab. Did a scrub down and water change today.. I'm trying to decide what to add next.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

That crab is adorable.  I had wondered if you kept the jar running.  The crab is a very interesting resident that will keep your jar fun.  It looks like the coral, (at least what I could see from the video) are doing well.

• Like 1
tanacharison
On 5/3/2018 at 7:16 AM, vlangel said:

That crab is adorable.  I had wondered if you kept the jar running.  The crab is a very interesting resident that will keep your jar fun.  It looks like the coral, (at least what I could see from the video) are doing well.

The crab is a lot of fun to watch. I'm keeping it up! No real maintenance required so why not.

• Like 1
tanacharison

WOW I'm annoyed. 😡 Tuesday water change day as usual and I wanted to add the pico to the list this week. As i'm fragging up some zoas for my pico I hear something fall in my kitchen.  Note to self next time immediately look for what happened. I continue to empty the tank for the water change and dump the old water down the drain. Thinking I'm almost done I go into the kitchen for some freshly mixed saltwater.  Somehow my dam dish drainer fell off the shelf bounced off my cabinet and landed directly into my brute water change trashcan. Completely wasted 15 gallons of saltwater down the drain. I had to pull water from my frag tank to fill up the pico until I can make new water.  I'm sure that will piss everything off in the pico because the frag tank water is not the cleanest. Guess the 54 water change will wait until tomorrow and after I make new water I can squeeze in the pico tonight? FML

At least nothings in the frag tank...

42128286221_eb408701c6_z.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3
tanacharison
29 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

What size is that frag tank? And what kind of stand is that?

Petco 20g Long and a 4 Cube storage organizer from Walmart. Total it was less than $60

• Like 1