Top Shelf Aquatics

Tana's Pico Tower

tanacharison

7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Very cool rockwork.

What powerhead are you using?

It’s a MJ600.  The body is the same for both 400 and 600 so I went with more flow but the suction cup mounting bracket is massive. 

9 hours ago, tanacharison said:

It’s a MJ600.  The body is the same for both 400 and 600 so I went with more flow but the suction cup mounting bracket is massive. 

My hydor Pico came with this awful suction housing too. There's no way anyone would want that in their tank! 

I ended up laying the Pico on a rock.

Do you have a hydor 240or maybe find one used.

• Like 1
On 10/15/2017 at 5:37 PM, Clown79 said:

My hydor Pico came with this awful suction housing too. There's no way anyone would want that in their tank! 

I ended up laying the Pico on a rock.

Do you have a hydor 240or maybe find one used.

I’m going to play around with it Tuesday and hopefully I find something I like! 

I keep wanting to go mainly non photosynthetic but also keep telling myself I’m crazy! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tanacharison said:

I’m going to play around with it Tuesday and hopefully I find something I like! 

I keep wanting to go mainly non photosynthetic but also keep telling myself I’m crazy! 

Seriously you should try it!  I had a NPS 2.5 gallon with sun corals and some of the easier NPS dendros for around two years without problems. I just did regular massive water changes aftwr each feeding and it was all good. The only reason I took it down was a cross country move and a choice between tanks...

• Like 1
Just now, Rene said:

Seriously you should try it!  I had a NPS 2.5 gallon with sun corals and some of the easier NPS dendros for around two years without problems. I just did regular massive water changes aftwr each feeding and it was all good. The only reason I took it down was a cross country move and a choice between tanks...

That’s exactly what I want to do!!!  What did you feed them?  I think if i’m going to do something different and challenging I should try corals I don’t already have growing.  

I fed frozen cyclop-eeze (when you could get that), frozen mysis, and some weird powdered food by (I think) Julian Sprung that was called "reef bugs" if I recall. Also a variety pack of frozen marine meaty foods (mussel, silversides, brine)  chopped finely and sometimes blended with Selcon. The gorgonians actually did seem to consume the "reef bugs" and the cyclop-eeze but there are far better foods available now. 

I stopped feeding Selcon because it made an oily mess of everything. But I saw growth on the tubastrea and diodogorgia on this routine. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, vlangel said:

I am looking forward to see your tower with coral.

Thanks! Your pico is coming along very well.  

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Me too! Spent way too much lol. Looking forward to it!

Same, I averaged $13 a coral with shipping so it was totally worth it this time!  I'm excited to see what you picked up.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, tanacharison said:

Thanks! Your pico is coming along very well.  

Same, I averaged $13 a coral with shipping so it was totally worth it this time!  I'm excited to see what you picked up.

Nice!  I came out more like $17 but had several pieces in the $20-30 range which drove it up.  But I finally got a petroglyph so I'm pretty excited!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing to really update just rambling over a cold beer.. no algae yet but only time will tell.  I’m running a 6 hour light cycle in the evening and doing my water change with AF Pro Bio in hopes it won’t explode.  I’ve also added AF Energy twice a week thinking it’s less likely to gunk up the tank than reef roids.  I’ve had to put my 25wt neotherm heater in due to the cold weather.  It was not the greatest idea putting the tank next to my door but couch views are excellent.  I picked up a rainbow monti frag but I’m not sure if I want to risk it in the tank.  I also thought about fragging my utter chaos and adding it in but it’s adapted to such a stronger light I’m afraid it won’t survive. 

• Like 2

Clove polyps encrusted and several new heads.. psammy and leptastrea both fluffy and looking to encrust.  Also in come algae/diaoms... Mixing up some red sea blue bucket now! 

• Like 3