Pod Your Reef

Coral Placement in 10g

GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Hello! 

I have a few questions concerning the placement of my soft corals. The aquascape of the tank is so that there are two arches of rock in the back of the tank. On one arch I want to put some Xenia, GSP, and a Toadstool, and on the other, some Clove polyps, Ricordea, and another Toadstool. When it comes to the point in which the corals grow next to each other, will I need to intervene? Should I rearrange the corals? The Xenia, GSP, and Toadstools are something I would really like to have, so if it absolutely comes to it, I will try to create separate "islands" for them.

-Generic Reefer

Dougefresh35
11 hours ago, TILTON said:

I would create separate islands for them anyways so they don't overrun your tank.

+1 what Tilton said because pretty soon you will have an all xenia tank lol. That stuff grows like wildfire.??

Dougefresh35

No they are pretty compatible its just that the xenia gets so tall and spreads everywhere and pretty quick they end up blocking out the light of corals that are lower or shorter than them, research keeping xenia under control there are alot of different ways! Oh and bye the way GSP is pretty much the same way it spreads everywhere and pretty fast do the same research keeping it under control. Try to keep them isolated  like on their own rock,it's the best?

GenericReefer

I created separate islands for Xenia and GSP, and the arch is for the Clove Polyps and Toadstool. Should I create another island for the Ricordea, or can it be on the arch? (I want to get a Ricordea Florida)

Also, got any suggestions for other soft corals? 

GenericReefer

Mushrooms grow really fast. Will they take over too much rock space? And how would I "prune" them? And would having an array of different mushrooms create a war zone on the rock?

Thrassian Atoll

I think a lot of mushrooms can touch without issue.  Mushroom kind of do what they want.  You want to make sure they are attached to some rock rubble or something really well first and then glue that down.  To remove them you can just pop the rubble off or cut the rock a little under them.  They can multiple but nothing even close to gsp or Xenia.

Thrassian Atoll

You don't have to cut the mushrooms, you cut the rock under them, same with zoas.  It's pretty easy.  Xenia you can chop the stalks off and pull it out.  GSP might be pretty tricky to remove excess.  It encrusts everything.  I don't know anything about leathers besides that they are pretty toxic.  

GenericReefer

Maybe after my tank is fully established, and the other corals have grown substantially. It all depends on how much tank space is left out after, too.