ReefCleaners.org

seabass's cookie jar - now with baby RFAs

seabass

Thanks PJ!  I look at the mag rocks less like floating islands, and more like rocks coming out from the background.  I'm also hoping that using the same corals throughout will look more natural and visually tie all the rocks together.

On 12/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, jahnje said:

mine too.  do you plan to do anything about it? 

On 12/1/2017 at 4:24 PM, seabass said:

Just snails for now.

The algae started affecting the coral, so I decided to dip the rock in a peroxide solution.  :mellow:  I didn't want to do that as I didn't want to disturb the bio-film on the rock.  It's kind of like starting over.  Oh well.  I also raised the light and shortened the light cycle.

Unfortunately, my GSP have stopped opening up.  It's pretty bad when you can't keep a weed like GSP alive. :blush:  IDK, maybe some of it will recover. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
cfaye@Delaware

Hoping things pull thru and come around, it does take time. Thank you for sharing the DIY on the rock magnets for the jar, I will be trying this out.....

Thanks.  The peroxide took care of the algae and the  LPS is looking better.  The GSP were open one day and not the next.  I waited a few days, but no response.  They were covered with a brownish growth and seemed on their way out.  I should have taken a picture.

Many years ago, I remember trying to get some GSP off of one of my main rocks.  I scraped it off, leaving just a tiny bit of of the mat.  Of course they grew back.  This got me thinking, and I shaved off the top of the mats (hoping to get rid of the infected tissue, and leave a healthy mat to recover).  It was sort of a long shot, but felt I should do something, as the tissue no longer looked healthy.

It was weird that all the mats were affected at the same time.  I really don't know if cutting the mats will work, or if I did them even more harm.  Seems kind of drastic and only time will tell.  I'm hoping that at least one section survives.  They grow quickly enough that it won't make a lot of difference if I lose some of it.

I'll post a pic this weekend of the cut mats.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a great Christmas.  Time for the December FTS.

123017a.jpg

A little closer:

123017b.jpg

Even closer:

123017c.jpg

You can see that just one of the GSP frags has made it.  However, the others have disintegrated (with just little specs of mat left).  But I'm OK with that, as GSP tend to grow quite quickly.

The rest of the coral is doing pretty well.  I'm pretty pleased with how things are progressing.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, vlangel said:

I see red grape caulerpa!  Looking very nice seabass.

Thanks so much Dawn!  Yep, I put a few cuttings of Botryocladia in the jar at the end of November.  You can kind of see them in the December shots.  They seem to be doing pretty well.

7 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Looks like you've managed to bounce back from that algae issue pretty well.  Your jars looking good!

Thanks!  Yeah, there's still some stray algae, but the peroxide seems to have knocked out the GHA that was taking over.  That's a relief because the GSP was suffering.  But it looks like the one piece of GSP has recovered; maybe I'll be able to frag it again before the end of the contest.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...