seabass

Peroxide update:

After the 3rd peroxide dip, and an iodine dip:

111117a.jpg

111117b.jpg

111117c.jpg

Before:

111117d.jpg

I think that's all that I'm willing to do to these frags.  I'm going to let them recover now.  Some of the GSP mats are becoming more fragile.  I'm hoping they open back up.

My peroxide dips consisted of about 50ml of food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide in about a half gallon of saltwater.  I dipped the frags in the solution for about 15 seconds, then let them oxidize in the air for about 15 seconds.  Then I rinsed the frags in straight saltwater.

• Like 6

Had a bit a cyano, so I'm dosing ChemiClean.  It's a little strange 'cause I haven't fed the tank except for some bacteria and some phyto.  But with nothing really in it, I have no problems adding some helping chems.  I really want to get it a little more stable before adding the frags.

I'm going to make another frag rock.  I'm not sure that I'll ever use it.  But I have the magnets, so why not?

I'm really looking forward to adding the coral.  I hope to see some growth by the end of the contest (that's really my goal here).

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

The coral frags are healing nicely, great selection!

Another small magnet rock might be nice to have around, you might find a particular frag you want to isolate on it. Something small like the first one, so it doesn't get in the way. I wonder if you could get a nice macro algae to root into one?

• Like 2

If you dose your tank with 0.3mL 3% hydrogen peroxide / gal of water it should help with all your algae problems without killing anything. Just a couple times for sure won’t harm anything :) if you have good flow. For a pico I wouldn’t do it that much but it’s safe enough

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I wonder if you could get a nice macro algae to root into one?

Wonderful idea.

I keep looking at fish.  I have to tell myself not to buy anything until after Christmas.  I shouldn't be gone much after that.

Thanks Dawn!  Now I just need to add the coral frags.  However, I noticed a little algae growing back on them.  So I might try another round of peroxide dips before doing that.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
14 hours ago, seabass said:

Thanks Dawn!  Now I just need to add the coral frags.  However, I noticed a little algae growing back on them.  So I might try another round of peroxide dips before doing that.

As I read about you and some other pico jar/vase contestants and how careful you are to aradicate algae from your frags I become fearful.  I worry a plague of algae is bound to rear its ugly head and destroy my little jar of joy.  I did not dip or even QT anything and now I am wondering if I was negligent!

• Like 1

I think it's inevitable regardless of all precautions. A certain amount of Algae growth is normal for any tank. It will grow even if you never introduce anything but dead rock. That doesn't mean the precautions are wrong, just limited in effectiveness. 

• Like 1

@vlangel, I basically agree with @duderubble (with a few exceptions, such as bryopsis and bubble algae).  However, I really wanted to eradicate the algae prior to introducing the frags to my tank.  But the holdfasts (embedded in the skeleton) provide a safe haven from the peroxide, so the algae tends to come back despite efforts to get rid of it.  The peroxide treatments did knock it back some.  Hopefully it will help keep it in check.  In fact, I dipped them again this morning.

Anyway, I gave up torturing my frags with peroxide, and glued them down on my rocks today during lunch.  I'm going to do a 100% water change tonight, and hopefully they will start to recover and grow out.  I'll post pics tomorrow.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

@vlangel, I basically agree with @duderubble (with a few exceptions, such as bryopsis and bubble algae).  However, I really wanted to eradicate the algae prior to introducing the frags to my tank.  But the holdfasts (embedded in the skeleton) provide a safe haven from the peroxide, so the algae tends to come back despite efforts to get rid of it.  The peroxide treatments did knock it back some.  Hopefully it will help keep it in check.  In fact, I dipped them again this morning.

Anyway, I gave up torturing my frags with peroxide, and glued them down on my rocks today during lunch.  I'm going to do a 100% water change tonight, and hopefully they will start to recover and grow out.  I'll post pics tomorrow.

think I'm going to follow @natalia_la_loca's lead. When she does her 100% WC once a week, she also does a Q-Tip spot peroxide on any algae. I'd imagine that this would keep problem algae at bay in important areas and at the same time not stress the coral nearly as much.  Though she should probably call it a 200% WC, since she does a full flush and refill.

• Like 4

I still haven't even put any corals in mine! The cycle is taking longer than expected and Ive been too busy. My rocks are leaching phosphates too so it is probably better that I dont have a light on yet....

• Haha 2

Yeah, thinking about the monthly FTS, and considering that it's been almost a month, I figured that I should probably add the frags.  I haven't tested for anything except specific gravity and temperature.  And I don't plan on testing anything else.

• Like 6
16 hours ago, seabass said:

Yeah, thinking about the monthly FTS, and considering that it's been almost a month, I figured that I should probably add the frags.  I haven't tested for anything except specific gravity and temperature.  And I don't plan on testing anything else.

Looks great!!!!  I haven't tested for anything either.  I figure it's kind of a waste of time since I'm removing all the water so frequently.  I just look at how the corals are reacting to their environment.  So far that's been good enough :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Recovering a little bit.

112417a.jpg

I'm not loving the Gracilaria all that much.  I may remove it or replace it.

I kind of like this view better.  I might have to play around with how I orient the rock(s) a little.

112417b.jpg

• Like 7