Top Shelf Aquatics

seabass's cookie jar - now with baby RFAs

seabass

This is what I decided on:

100617a.jpg

Not very creative, I know; but I opted for practical.  This a a two gallon Anchor Hocking jar.  That was the size which interested me the most.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, seabass said:

100617a.jpg

Not very creative, I know; but I opted for practical.  This a a two gallon Anchor Hocking jar.  That was the size which interested me the most.

Yay same jar as @gena @vlangel and me! I think lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yay same jar as @gena @vlangel and me! I think lol

They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. :)  Actually I haven't been paying very close attention to what everyone is using, and I didn't know that other people were using this jar.  However, I'm not surprised, and I'm OK with that.  I just hope everyone else is too.

I have to say that based on the names you listed, I don't expect mine to stack up very favorably.  I never join these things to win; and my pace and budget won't impress too many people.  However, this will be the smallest saltwater system I've kept for an extended period of time, and I'm looking forward to it.

Maybe I can steal some other ideas from you guys. ;)  flower.gif.4cb906b8fb1a43e38e74bd068ab367d7.gif

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, seabass said:

They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. :)  Actually I haven't been paying very close attention to what everyone is using, and I didn't know that other people were using this jar.  However, I'm not surprised, and I'm OK with that.  I just hope everyone else is too.

I have to say that based on the names you listed, I don't expect mine to stack up very favorably.  I never join these things to win; and my pace and budget won't impress too many people.  However, this will be the smallest saltwater system I've kept for an extended period of time, and I'm looking forward to it.

Maybe I can steal some other ideas from you guys. ;)  flower.gif.4cb906b8fb1a43e38e74bd068ab367d7.gif

No worries, I think it's a very good choice for a pico. I am totally ok with others having the same one. :happy: I'm not joining to win either, just want to join a contest for fun since I've never done one before!

• Like 5
cfaye@Delaware
8 hours ago, seabass said:

Cake Walk !!!!! ( piece of cake ) 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, seabass said:

100617a.jpg

WASAAAAAABI ? 

11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

No worries, I think it's a very good choice for a pico. I am totally ok with others having the same one. :happy: I'm not joining to win either, just want to join a contest for fun since I've never done one before!

Contests are fun and helps keep you focused on the tank. Especially when you realize you're in the running?

• Haha 1

So here was my thinking on the container that I chose.  Some of the more creative options were much smaller.  In these tanks, I feel that the heater would become distracting.  I thought about going without a heater; but we keep our house fairly cool and corals tend to stagnate in lower temperatures.

Also, I feel that the build would concentrate on the container instead of the contents.  And while I enjoy tinkering with stuff like that, I have enough projects to work on.  I just wanted to try a pico.

Next, I really want to keep a small goby; so I knew that I needed a container between 2 and 3 gallons.  Some of the coral packed picos are incredibly beautiful; however, I envision that mine will look more like a typical nano reef (fish and all).

And while there are smaller lights available, I choose a PAR38, which is a little big for a sub-one gallon container.  I picked the ABI PAR38 12W aquarium bulb.  It's not their more popular, reef optimized tuna blue bulb; however, I plan on keeping some macroalgae, so it should hopefully be fine.

I have some thoughts, but I'm still deciding on coral.  I plan on keeping some, but it won't be packed by any stretch of the imagination.  It will definitely have an anemone.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, seabass said:

So here was my thinking on the container that I chose.  Some of the more creative options were much smaller.  In these tanks, I feel that the heater would become distracting.  I thought about going without a heater; but we keep our house fairly cool and corals tend to stagnate in lower temperatures.

Also, I feel that the build would concentrate on the container instead of the contents.  And while I enjoy tinkering with stuff like that, I have enough projects to work on.  I just wanted to try a pico.

Next, I really want to keep a small goby; so I knew that I needed a container between 2 and 3 gallons.  Some of the coral packed picos are incredibly beautiful; however, I envision that mine will look more like a typical nano reef (fish and all).

And while there are smaller lights available, I choose a PAR38, which is a little big for a sub-one gallon container.  I picked the ABI PAR38 12W aquarium bulb.  It's not their more popular, reef optimized tuna blue bulb, so I feel like I'm taking a risk.  However, I plan on keeping some macroalgae, so hopefully it will be fine.

I have some thoughts, but I'm still deciding on coral.  I plan on keeping some, but it won't be packed by any stretch of the imagination.  It will definitely have an anemone.

That light has nice color, though the optics are pretty narrow.  Plan to raise it pretty high.  For a heater, look at this one.  Gena and I will both be using it.  I have it in my 5.5, it's very slender and attractive as heaters go, external thermostat has kept temps rock steady.  Very inconspicuous. :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

For a heater, look at this one.  Gena and I will both be using it.

Thanks for the link!  I wasn't aware of that heater when I ordered a 7.5W Bettastik (which has no thermostat).  I'll monitor the temps, and order the one you and Gena are using if need be.  Thanks again.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, seabass said:

Thanks for the link!  I wasn't aware of that heater when I ordered a 7.5W Bettastik (which has no thermostat).  I'll monitor the temps, and order the one you and Gena are using if need be.  Thanks again.

You can also use a temperature controller like the Inkbird for that heater, Natalia uses a Finnex controller I think for her betta heater.

• Like 2

Shaping a rock from Reef Cleaners.

100817a.jpg

Like usual, I had the rock how I wanted it, and made one last tap.  Of course a big chunk broke off (not at all what I wanted).  So I had to glue it back together.

Here it is in the tank (which is still dry).

100817b.jpg

Then I put the rock in my Caribbean tank to get a little bacteria on it.

• Like 10

I personally dislike tanks that are jam-packed with frags.  While many folks appreciate that kind of thing, I like the "less is more" concept and get too distracted with so many 2 and 3 polyp frags filling up a tank. Stick with a couple/few and let it ride. 

• Like 2

I've done a tank without a heater.  It can work, but coral will grow better with a little heat.  Keep in mind that the heater I got is always on (no thermostat).

GunslingerGirl
1 minute ago, seabass said:

I've done a tank without a heater.  It can work, but coral will grow better with a little heat.  Keep in mind that the heater I got is always on (no thermostat).

Currently the tank is sitting at 76 without a heater. So it's kinda 6 of one half a dozen of the other at that temp. Might do it and put it on a timer.

The heater that @Lula_Mae recommended, also looks quite small: https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim   It's more expensive, but it is more powerful and has an external thermostat.  Something to consider.

53 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Might do it and put it on a timer.

I know that a number of people use timers to help control the heat.  I'm just not sure what to expect for heat when using this heater in a thick, two gallon jar, with a lid.  I'll monitor it before adding any livestock, and adjust if necessary.

I had previously saw pics of it, and I knew the dimensions; however, I was still a little surprised (happily) at how small it was.  It should work out nicely.

1 hour ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Currently the tank is sitting at 76 without a heater. So it's kinda 6 of one half a dozen of the other at that temp. Might do it and put it on a timer.

4 minutes ago, seabass said:

The heater that @Lula_Mae recommended, also looks quite small: https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim   It's more expensive, but it is more powerful and has an external thermostat.  Something to consider.

I know that a number of people use timers to help control the heat.  I'm just not sure what to expect for heat when using this heater in a thick, two gallon jar, with a lid.  I'll monitor it before adding any livestock, and adjust if necessary.

I had previously saw pics of it, and I knew the dimensions; however, I was still a little surprised (happily) at how small it was.  It should work out nicely.

Yes, the little heater from AFA is bigger lengthwise than the BettaStik but not much diameter-wise. Literally my only complaint about it is that the cord is kind of thick. Well, and it came with this big garish 120v sticker on it, but that fell off pretty quickly lol. :lol: With a heater like the BettaStik, I'd get a temp controller rather than a timer, for more reliable control over it. And the controllers cost as much as the heater I recommend lol.

• Like 2

Fellow Anchor Hocking contestants.  Have you noticed that the lid focuses the LED's?

With lid:

100917d.jpg

Without lid:

100917e.jpg

There is definitely a sweet spot with the lid on.  Raising the light can actually compound the effect.  I had to lower it to make it less noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, seabass said:

Fellow Anchor Hocking contestants.  Have you noticed that the lid focuses the LED's?

With lid:

100917d.jpg

Without lid:

100917e.jpg

There is definitely a sweet spot with the lid on.  Raising the light can actually compound the effect.  I had to lower it to make it less noticeable.

I haven't put mine together yet but that'll be interesting to find out!

cfaye@Delaware

On the Betta heater just in case I would have a back up one ready, I have used those types in my fresh water tanks and mine did not last long.......just a little heads up, used them in my Betta tank but that was a few years ago.......and those presets are very tricky........

1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

On the Betta heater just in case I would have a back up one ready, I have used those types in my fresh water tanks and mine did not last long.......just a little heads up, used them in my Betta tank but that was a few years ago.......and those presets are very tricky........

You would think they would be fairly reliable, since they don't have a thermostat which could fail. :unsure:  However, reviews still do report failures; so good call on a backup!  They aren't that expensive, so I should have one on hand.

Since they are always on, they can only fail off.  I'll use a thermometer and monitor the temperature.  TBH, I don't even have thermometers on my other tanks right now.  Hmm, I should probably right that wrong too.

It's coming together great! Great find on that tiny betta tank heater, wow! I'll be curious to hear how it does for you.

Thanks Chris!  @natalia_la_loca uses that heater in her featured pico.  I'm hoping for the best.  fingerscrossed

• Like 2