brian's cookie jar

110617b.jpg

FTS: taken 11/06/17

Equipment:

Tank: Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill 2 gallon glass jar

Lighting: ABI PAR38 Aquarium Light (Royal Blue 450nm + Cold White 10000K + Actinic Blue 425nm + Blue 470nm)

Heater: Deep Blue Professional Bettastik 7.5-watt heater

Air pump: Tetra Whisper 40

Live Rock: Reef Cleaners dry rock

Sand: CaribSea Fiji Pink

Table of Contents:

p1: Shot glass reef

p2: Contest entry pic, heater, light

p3: Drilled hole, water

p4: Live rock

p5: Bayer coral dip, magnets for mag rock

p6: Coral frags, glass drilling video, mag rock project, fragged the coral frags

p7: Algae on coral frags, initial peroxide dip

p8: Additional peroxide dips, second frag rock project

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, seabass said:

:ninja:

Haha, don't worry about me fellow contestants.  I never do well in these.  Sounds like fun though, so I'll play along.  I'm probably just going to throw something together with what I already have.  I'll probably have to buy a bulb... maybe a container too; but I'm considering just using a plastic juice bottle.  Don't know yet.  I'll edit this post once I start to figure out what I want to do.

I swear, I thought, "I hope someone uses a milk jug!" :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dry with condiment.  The bottle was too big for the glass. :mellow:

shotglass1.jpg

With RFA, macroalgae, and cleanup crew.

shotglass.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1

As you can see in the pic.  There is a crack on the top right of my shot glass tank, so I had to take it down already. :(

Oh well, back to the drawing board. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Wow 1

Wow, talk about 'easy come, easy go!'

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Wow 1

:lol: Alright, I'm going to hold off for your official entry.  Once you finalize the tank, please make an announcement post over in the contest thread and then I'll add you to the contestants list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Aw. :(

:lol:

• Wow 1

Dang, I was excited for the shot glass idea... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Dang, I was excited for the shot glass idea... 

I think it would work.  Essentially the tank was done.  Water changes wouldn't be more than dunking the whole glass in my Caribbean tank to perform a 100% water change.  If I did that twice a day, I don't think evaporation (specific gravity) would be a problem.  If need be, a hamster water bottle ATO should keep it stable throughout the day.

Add a drop of phyto once a day, and feed the nem a piece of flake food once a week; that would take care of the feeding.  Put the glass in window for some sun, or even put it on a desk with screw-in CF bulb over it.  Then add an airline tube for some flow and O2.  Although, I'd probably swap the bubble bee snail for a dwarf cerith.

You, or anybody else is welcome to the idea.  I would be sure to follow that thread.

• Like 3

Ketchup is your favorite condiment?  🤢

35 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Ketchup is your favorite condiment?  🤢

I figured it was the most recognizable.  Actually I don't eat ketchup, due to the sugar content.  I have recovered from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.  Now I use spicy mustard on most things that I used to use ketchup on

I used to consume massive amounts of sugar, including about ten cans of Mountain Dew and/or Coke a day.  A couple of years after giving up soda, I tried a Sprite.  OMG, I couldn't believe how sweet it was.  Anyway, enough about my liver. :blush:

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

LMFAO.........I guess you have to be there......I hurt myself laughing, almost fell out of chair and this does look do able...... would have to work a bit on the air line.......

Well this made my week, next to reading memes......

10 hours ago, Felicia said:

:lol: Alright, I'm going to hold off for your official entry.  Once you finalize the tank, please make an announcement post over in the contest thread and then I'll add you to the contestants list.

LOL.......I don't know how they could even respond to this........

• Like 1

15 hours ago, seabass said:

You, or anybody else is welcome to the idea.  I would be sure to follow that thread.

If you were to dunk the glass in your existing tank...is it cheating?  I wouldn't think so, but would appreciate your opinion. 

Will the shot glass' contents not float out?

9 hours ago, seabass said:

I figured it was the most recognizable.  Actually I don't eat ketchup, due to the sugar content.  I have recovered from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.  Now I use spicy mustard on most things that I used to use ketchup on

I used to consume massive amounts of sugar, including about ten cans of Mountain Dew and/or Coke a day.  A couple of years after giving up soda, I tried a Sprite.  OMG, I couldn't believe how sweet it was.  Anyway, enough about my liver. :blush:

I drink a ton of Mountain Dew.  Not going to lie.  Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

If you were to dunk the glass in your existing tank...is it cheating?  I wouldn't think so, but would appreciate your opinion. 

Will the shot glass' contents not float out?

I'm not sure what the judges would rule, but I wouldn't consider it cheating unless you kept the glass inside of the other tank.

Dunking the glass in my other tank was how I cleared up the water after I added the sand.  And after I got done "aquascaping" the shot glass, I did it again.  Nothing floated out except cloudy water.

If it was ruled that using water from another tank isn't acceptable, you could do the exact same thing with a bucket of new saltwater.  Just aerate it good prior to doing the water change.

• Like 3

Couldn't you just get another shot glass? Uhm...?

This was all staged!!! I feel so betrayed.... 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

You know, I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.  I may just stick with the shot glass idea, but I've also been thinking about:

Product DetailsProduct Details Product Details Product Details

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, seabass said:

You know, I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.  I may just stick with the shot glass idea, but I've also been thinking about:

Coffee maker = built in heater? :unsure:

• Wow 1

Only if you used a controller.  If I was ambitious enough, I'd figure out how to reduce the power down to 3W, but that's not going to happen.

However, I might be able to put a 10W CF bulb in the top section.  The coffee maker is the direction I'm currently leaning.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, seabass said:

Only if you used a controller.  I don't think that'd be allowed.  If I was ambitious enough, I'd figure out how to reduce the power down to 3W.  And that's not going to happen.

However, I might be able to put a 10W CF bulb in the top section.  The coffee maker is the direction I'm currently leaning.

Yeah, it'd be a good way to make coral soup! :lol: That would be a very interesting pico!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, seabass said:

So many choice and so few (actually just 1) pico!

• Like 1

Oh!  Go the gumball route!  I was checking them out on Amazon last night.  I also looked into a lantern, but when I was looking at mine last night I couldn't figure it out since the glass was pretty much a glass cylinder so it couldn't hold water. You're smart and could figure that problem out though!

Here's a few other oddball ideas: 

wine bottle

kitchen skillet

zip-lock bag

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Oh!  Go the gumball route!  I was checking them out on Amazon last night.  I also looked into a lantern, but when I was looking at mine last night I couldn't figure it out since the glass was pretty much a glass cylinder so it couldn't hold water. You're smart and could figure that problem out though!

Here's a few other oddball ideas: 

wine bottle

kitchen skillet

zip-lock bag

A wine bottle would be difficult to do as you can't put in any nice sized rocks :( 

• Like 1