inTank Media Baskets

seabass's cookie jar - now with baby RFAs

seabass

21 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yes, the little heater from AFA is bigger lengthwise than the BettaStik but not much diameter-wise. Literally my only complaint about it is that the cord is kind of thick. Well, and it came with this big garish 120v sticker on it, but that fell off pretty quickly lol. :lol: With a heater like the BettaStik, I'd get a temp controller rather than a timer, for more reliable control over it. And the controllers cost as much as the heater I recommend lol.

I peeled that sticker off first thing :lol:.

20 hours ago, seabass said:

Fellow Anchor Hocking contestants.  Have you noticed that the lid focuses the LED's?

With lid:

100917d.jpg

Without lid:

100917e.jpg

There is definitely a sweet spot with the lid on.  Raising the light can actually compound the effect.  I had to lower it to make it less noticeable.

I didn't realize it was the lid causing that :o.  It's not really noticeable to be anymore though.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, gena said:

I peeled that sticker off first thing :lol:.

I didn't realize it was the lid causing that :o.  It's not really noticeable to be anymore though.

:lol: Yeah I didn't take mine off till it started peeling on its own but thankfully it came off easily.

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see how temp fluctuates with your always on heater.  With mine (Cobalt 10W mini therm - also an always on heater), I wasn't so much worried about it overheating my bowl but more about several degree temp swings so I threw a temp controller on it.  Maybe temp swings are not such a big deal with corals (vs. fish).  I gotta say my temp stays pretty steady on that controller though.

• Like 1
GunslingerGirl
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I have not had my LEDs on yet as I am waiting for them to arrive.  Thank for the heads up!

Hey hopefully they'll work :rolleyes: lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I'll be interested to see how temp fluctuates with your always on heater

Yeah, me too.  I'm going to try it out as is.  However, if the temperature fluctuates too much, I'll just put it on a controller (I have one available).

• Like 3

I drilled a hole for the tubing/cords:

101117a.jpg

There was a just little more chip out than I wanted, but not too bad.

Unfortunately, the 1/2" bit wasn't quite big enough for my heater.  I spent about a half an hour grinding and sanding the hole until it fit.

101117b.jpg

Tank with heater and airline tubing:

101117c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
11 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

I was wondering if you used a Dremel Tool or could you to drill the hole ????

Looking Fab......omgomgomg

You could: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Beginners-Drilling-Ceramics-Porcelain/dp/B01EPKZWZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507768979&sr=8-1&keywords=dremel+glass+bits+1%2F2"

I used a regular drill with a diamond coated bit, then used Dremel tools to finish grinding and sanding the hole until the heater fit.

The bit has to stay wet, or it will burn itself out.  I built a dam on each side with plumber's putty and filled it with water.

Sorry, I was going to take pics, but decided to pass.  I also cut a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe to use as a template; then taped it on the container with Flex Tape (pretty sticky stuff).  Since the PVC pipe was slightly bigger than the bit, I wrapped some electrical tape around the bit so it fit more snug (but still spun freely).  All of that probably optional, but I didn't want it to slip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That should look super clean without the heater cord coming out the top.  Won't that affect your water level being a bit lower though? Are you concerned about popping out of the back hole?

• Thanks 1
On 09/10/2017 at 1:21 PM, seabass said:

I've done a tank without a heater.  It can work, but coral will grow better with a little heat.  Keep in mind that the heater I got is always on (no thermostat).

The light timer control works. You just have to do testing to get the right configuration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hows the color of the bulb in person? I have the tuna blue one on my three gallon and I want something slightly less blue... want to know how they all compare in terms of blueness.

• Like 1
On 10/11/2017 at 4:44 PM, seabass said:

I drilled a hole for the tubing/cords:

101117a.jpg

There was a just little more chip out than I wanted, but not too bad.

Unfortunately, the 1/2" bit wasn't quite big enough for my heater.  I spent about a half an hour grinding and sanding the hole until it fit.

101117b.jpg

Tank with heater and airline tubing:

101117c.jpg

That's some masterful glass drilling. I can't believe you drilled that close to the edge without problems. Good job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rene said:

That's some masterful glass drilling. I can't believe you drilled that close to the edge without problems. Good job!

It's pretty thick glass.  Plus, there should be no stress up that high and dry.

1 hour ago, JoeR said:

Hows the color of the bulb in person? I have the tuna blue one on my three gallon and I want something slightly less blue... want to know how they all compare in terms of blueness.

It's actually not too bad in person.  I know what you mean, most of the options are either all white, or mostly blue.  One third of the LEDs are 10,000K white.

• 2x 425-430nm
  • 6x 450-460nm
  • 2x 460-470nm
  • 5x 10000-15000K

I believe the ABI 12W Tuna Blue only has one white 6,500K LED. It's:

Product Details versus Product Details

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JoeR said:

I have the 12w 50/50 and the 23w Tuna Blue, and the 50/50 is significantly less blue than the Tuna Blue. I like it very much, personally. There's a few pics of it on my 5.5 from Sept or so.

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

Nice flow, a little cloudy, sand is holding like cement......LOL

I was wondering if you knew about how much your first build weighted, the shot glass, I might have someone to try the build and I think the build might be legal.....

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have the 12w 50/50 and the 23w Tuna Blue, and the 50/50 is significantly less blue than the Tuna Blue. I like it very much, personally. There's a few pics of it on my 5.5 from Sept or so.

See I knew you had the bulb but couldn’t find your tank thread with it. Now when I look on amazon for the 50/50 bulb, I don’t see it come up- like they stopped selling it or something. No idea why.

1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Nice flow, a little cloudy, sand is holding like cement......LOL

Yeah, I just filled the tank, with no attempt not to disrupt the sand.  I'm kind of thinking about going without an airstone (just like in the video).

1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

I was wondering if you knew about how much your first build weighted, the shot glass, I might have someone to try the build and I think the build might be legal.....

I'm not sure what you're asking, but it would be awesome if someone kept one going for the whole contest.