SaltCritters.com

seabass's cookie jar - now with baby RFAs

seabass

Totally been to that website but must have skippes over the plastic/rubber section. Thank you!

When so we get a shot of the full tank with the rocks in place? 

On 10/31/2017 at 11:30 PM, seabass said:

The second jar that I got had more blemishes in it than the first.  So I'll just use the original for the contest.  However, I went ahead and drilled the second one too, so I can use it for clownfish larvae (if they ever decide to breed again).  Here's the video that I shot.  Sorry there's no commentary; it's just something I'm not very good at.  Maybe if it wasn't so long.  Anyway, here's how I drilled my jars.

Hindsight is definitely 20/20. The one thing I wished I  would have done was drill a hole in my jar for the airline.

Great video for those interested in drilling tanks/glass in general though. 

• Thanks 1

A little clearer today (I needed a better pic for my first post).  I hope to get the coral and some macros in it this week.

110617b.jpg

I kind of like the look of just one mag rock.  What do you think?

The temperature is rock solid with this heater on a controller; and evaporation isn't an issue with the lid on.

• Like 9

Thanks everyone; I agree.  I already ordered another magnet, but I'm sure I can make use of it in a future project.

12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It's going to be tough to pick which coral gets to be featured on the floating island though

It would make sense to isolate the GSP on that rock.  However, I envision it growing throughout the tank.  I'll probably put some GSP on the floating rock, as well as on the main rock.  I'll also have 3 Duncans and 2 Blastos on the main rock.

I originally wanted a mini carpet anemone in here.  I have a two that are attached just to glass, so it would be easy to move one in here.  I've kept gobies and mini carpet anemones in the same tank before, but I feel that I'd be better off without the anemone.

However, I'm still not sure about keeping a clown goby in here.  I think the round nature of the tank would provide enough room for one.  It would make 100% water changes impractical; although I could still do 50+% water changes.  I like the idea, but I'm undecided. :unsure:

• Like 5

So I had a fish in my shopping cart today, and I almost checked out.  However, I came back to my senses and deleted it.  I'll probably still get one, but it'll likely be more than a month down the line.  I'm glad that I decided to wait; there's no need to rush this.

• Like 5

Well... I discovered that putting the frags in the primordial soup tank, that is my 20L, is a good recipe for algae growth. :(

110817a.jpg

110817b.jpg

110817c.jpg

I put them in a peroxide dip and will be transferring them to my pico, where I can better control the nutrient levels.  Then I'll add some herbivores after I glue them down.

• Wow 1
54 minutes ago, seabass said:

Well... I discovered that putting the frags in the primordial soup tank, that is my 20L, is a good recipe for algae growth. :(

I put them in a peroxide dip and will be transferring them to my pico, where I can better control the nutrient levels.  Then I'll add some herbivores after I glue them down.

So with thes do you just dip the bases?  Or are they like zoas enough that you can dip the whole thing? 

For the Duncans, only the bases had algae, so it wasn't necessary to dip the whole thing.  However, (full disclosure) I did anyway.

I normally make saltwater using hydrogen peroxide to use as a dip.  That way they aren't being freshwater dipped.  However, this time I just put some 35% food grade peroxide in some tank water and used that.

TBH, I'm not 100% sure that everything will make it.  However, I think they will.  I just hope it significantly helps with the algae.  I really don't want to fight that in my pico.  Sounds bad, but I'd rather lose a couple of frags.

21 minutes ago, seabass said:

For the Duncans, only the bases had algae, so it wasn't necessary to dip the whole thing.  However, (full disclosure) I did anyway.

I normally make saltwater using hydrogen peroxide to use as a dip.  That way they aren't being freshwater dipped.  However, this time I just put some 35% food grade peroxide in some tank water and used that.

TBH, I'm not 100% sure that everything will make it.  However, I think they will.  I just hope it significantly helps with the algae.  I really don't want to fight that in my pico.  Sounds bad, but I'd rather lose a couple of frags.

Post how it goes. I just did some trail dips on some zoas and they came out fine. 3:1 ratio of tank:peroxide for 5 min. All the algae was nuked by the looks of it.  But I really like to see some evidence of other things being dipped, and kinda make a list of what can and cannot be.  

I will certainly keep everyone up to date on these frags.

1 hour ago, jahnje said:

kinda make a list of what can and cannot be

Here is a thread that (while long and cluttered) keeps track of these things:

Maybe I'll double post there when I have an update.  That's a better place to track corals which are sensitive to peroxide.

• Thanks 1
On 11/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, seabass said:

So I had a fish in my shopping cart today, and I almost checked out.  However, I came back to my senses and deleted it.  I'll probably still get one, but it'll likely be more than a month down the line.  I'm glad that I decided to wait; there's no need to rush this.

I have been so tempted to put a little fish in my bowl in the past. I've just been so worried that the huge water changes would be too much for it. And now that I've got those acros in it I have to do the full water changes to replenish the alk, mg, ca each week. 

I'll be interested to see how it goes with a fish when you finally pull the trigger on one. 

• Like 1