Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New 20g setup

ThorReefer

So what would be some good, pretty fish that I can put in a 20 g nano aquarium? I have been searching the web, and a lot of the fish that can handle the smaller tank aren't very fun to look at. Any suggestions?

8 minutes ago, ThorReefer said:

So what would be some good, pretty fish that I can put in a 20 g nano aquarium? I have been searching the web, and a lot of the fish that can handle the smaller tank aren't very fun to look at. Any suggestions?

What is fun to look at for you? 20g has a lot of options. I guess these would be some of the more colorful ones...

designer clowns

helfrichi firefish

royal gramma, orchid dottyback, yellow assesor basslet, swiss guard basslet

blue spotted jawfish

yasha goby

midas blenny

sixline wrasse

flasher wrasses

Starkii damsel

20 minutes ago, ThorReefer said:

Any of the firefish would be a good addition for some movement in the water column.  A Midas Blenny would be a good addition because they're very entertaining to watch.  They usually have a few caves and holes they prefer to go into and poke their heads out to get the view of things.  Pretty much most blenny's will be fine.  You could probably also get a pair of clownfish.  I'm not sure but you might be able to get a six line wrasse.  But maybe too small of tank.  But I would go for the Midas blenny and maybe a pair of clowns and that's it.  2 or 3 fish I'd say at most. 

Also, be sure to research and plan your fish out... most passive should be added first to most aggressive last... and some fish do not get along. Midas blennys have a high chance of picking on other planktivores (firefish, flashers, ect). A 6 line will likely make shy fish nervous or beat them up. So make sure all fish are compatible. 

Alright I have another question for everyone. So today I was looking at my copepods on the glass (typical white and small, like lice) and I came across two larger copepods that look the same. They are both a pale pink, and I can see what look like little legs coming off of their bodies. They don't move much, and are a little larger than the other copepods I am seeing. Are these copepods? Or something that I should be worried about? As always, thanks for your time and help! (They are too small for me to get a picture of)

3 hours ago, ThorReefer said:

Alright I have another question for everyone. So today I was looking at my copepods on the glass (typical white and small, like lice) and I came across two larger copepods that look the same. They are both a pale pink, and I can see what look like little legs coming off of their bodies. They don't move much, and are a little larger than the other copepods I am seeing. Are these copepods? Or something that I should be worried about? As always, thanks for your time and help! (They are too small for me to get a picture of)

amphipods? 

rfAIUvv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, another question for you guys. I have been trying to see how I can encourage the copepod growth in my tank so they will be well established for a copepod eating fish (probably not a mandarin, but I was looking at a ruby red dragonet). Have any of you ever heard of dosing Phytoplankton to increase copepod population? Does it work? And what phytoplankton is the best to use? There are loads of options out there...Thanks for your help all!

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Doing a refugium would be the best direction for cope pod production 

So Because I have a 20g IM fusion, I have the sump area where I have added some rock rubble (about .75 lb) and I recently have added a hang on back refugium (about 1 gallon) where I have some chaeto growing as of 2 days ago under a light. It is in 2 balls that are each about the size of a baseball. One was from a refugium at the LFS that was LOADED with copepods (massive ones, never seen them that big before). I was just wondering if I could also help increase the population by dosing phyto.

• 2 weeks later...

OKay I have another question, thanks again for everyone’s help.

so, I recently added the Chaeto to my tank, and my nitrates have been getting pretty low! (About 2 ppm, down from 10) I was just wondering if it can be detrimental to some species to have the nitrates so low? Like will copepods die off or corals or something if my nitrates stay at 0 for awhile?