Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jus Anglin' (CC pico contest thread)

Harrisonbored

Harrisonbored

The "Angler Fish"......aka......"A Bellyful O' Sunshine"

an NPS pico

So I've decided I want to keep a pico FULL of Tubastraea and possibly some tube worm/anemones.

For equipment I'm going to try and do all this with just an AZOO 180 Powerhead, water changes, water changes, water changes and some biological additives. My house temp stays pretty consistent so no need for a heater. It'll get roughly an hours worth of early morning sunshine and then ambient

light the rest of the day.  I have a low watt incandescent bulb strictly for aesthetic "Angler Fish" purposes...and to give me some light to feed by.

And so all the cash that I allotted for this contest is going into corals and feeding.

We'll see how it turns out.

Dec. 28th

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.297ee27d35c831ec95e5561c979ae6c4.jpg

Nov. 28th

Ang1.thumb.JPG.10fc2f7c427603be13f4c0087d4ee796.JPG

Oct. 11th

side.jpg.cf114b9cad0125973ca095e180e751c9.jpg

Oct. 3rd    here's the shot with my favorite condiment.

condiment.thumb.jpg.6d4032b9269f856ce4977a2ba4659929.jpg

And here's a shot with it filled with 1.5 gallons

59d40e6d1611d_1.5gallons.thumb.jpg.78150065eecbe77c65517d6e688eb16f.jpg

• Like 17
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
Harrisonbored
49 minutes ago, TILTON said:

That's awesome and hilarious at the same time.  Great looking tank.

Thanks man. Yeah there's definite comedy potential with this.

10 minutes ago, 1967type1 said:

Really unique can't wait to see what it becomes!

Thanks.

Harrisonbored
14 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Way cool!!! My grandparents had a terrarium in a very similar looking vase that I was obsessed with as a kid. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one @Harrisonbored!

Thank you Sir. Hope to make you proud

12 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

This has so much potential!

I have a handful of ideas on how to proceed but no clear winner as of yet.  Time will tell in the coming days

• Like 1
Harrisonbored
23 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Omg, if you get a movable light thing you can make it into a real anglerfish! 

So far that's the plan.  The flex lights I have on hand don't seem to wanna hold the weight of the par bulb in the right (cool looking) position though.

So looks like I'll be on the lookout for either a lighter par fixture or a more sturdy lamp...or I could just build a lamp fixture...not sure what I'm going to do yet.

• Thanks 1
Harrisonbored

and so the problem solving starts.  The first major issue...the mouth only has a 3.5 inch opening!! Gonna have to be super creative with my rock work.

tape.thumb.jpg.4d9ab3382a806c3d52354354553082ad.jpg

hand.thumb.jpg.406c980cf2711b5e36b81b6c328c1719.jpg

Of the many ideas I have for which way to take this fish, one was a belly full of birdsnests...just think that would have been a neat visual.

But their fragile nature and the need to pull all the rockwork out to do deep cleanings make it an impossibility.

Plus... honestly, keeping the alkalinity stable would have been a nightmare.

So I think I'm officially scratching SPS off the menu.

Next problem is heat.  Don't really want to use a submersible heater because of the real estate it would take up, and also the unsightly cord coming from the mouth.

Those heating pad type ones won't work because there isn't any surface contact.

legs.thumb.jpg.8213739d2a6c5301b69ae3e2c347fab4.jpg

But my house temp stays pretty consistent and I'm planning on using a mini Azoo pump which will add some heat as well.

So I'll be running some temp tests this weekend to see if that eliminates any other stocking plans.

• Like 4
Harrisonbored
28 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Really cute and I am anxious to watch it progress.  I saw the fish online but knew it would not work for me.

Thanks!  Yeah, the cuteness factor is definitely a trade off for functionality. We'll see how it plays out I guess.

And I've always been a huge fan of  your Seahorse tanks...can't wait to see the Chalet in action!

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Harrisonbored said:

Thanks!  Yeah, the cuteness factor is definitely a trade off for functionality. We'll see how it plays out I guess.

And I've always been a huge fan of  your Seahorse tanks...can't wait to see the Chalet in action!

Why thank you, regarding my seahorse tank.  That is very kind of you. 

I definitely considered dwarf seahorses but without any mechanical filtration and then providing them live food, I decided that it would be way too labor intensive.  Someday maybe I could modify it for dwarf seahorses.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Why thank you, regarding my seahorse tank.  That is very kind of you. 

I definitely considered dwarf seahorses but without any mechanical filtration and then providing them live food, I decided that it would be way too labor intensive.  Someday maybe I could modify it for dwarf seahorses.

If you win best build thread your prize will be a pico tank kit specifically designed for dwarf seahorses.  :D

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
25 minutes ago, Felicia said:

If you win best build thread your prize will be a pico tank kit specifically designed for dwarf seahorses.  :D

I saw that was a prize.  Who knows?

• Like 2

I don't plan to enter, but I want you to know that I'm super jealous you were able to find such a cool item at a yard sale.  I'd love to have something like this - empty or full in my house. 

Good luck!  I'm rooting for you to win. 

Harrisonbored
3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I don't plan to enter, but I want you to know that I'm super jealous you were able to find such a cool item at a yard sale.  I'd love to have something like this - empty or full in my house. 

Good luck!  I'm rooting for you to win. 

I just got lucky with the timing of it all, but thank you!...I'll do my best.

Dawn said she found the same fish. Maybe she'll tell you where. 

20 hours ago, vlangel said:

I saw the fish online but knew it would not work for me.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Harrisonbored said:

Dawn said she found the same fish. Maybe she'll tell you where. 

I think I found the one Dawn found.  My lips are sealed - I love this, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to copy you AFTER the contest so I can have a neat pico tank.   

• Like 1
Harrisonbored
4 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I think I found the one Dawn found.  My lips are sealed - I love this, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to copy you AFTER the contest so I can have a neat pico tank.   

Cool...You should get one now and join the contest!   It's all just for fun anyways.  We could be team Pisces

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Harrisonbored said:

Cool...You should get one now and join the contest!   It's all just for fun anyways.  We could be team Pisces

I'll ask the wife tonight.  I have a new setup and I'm trying to stock it with corals.  Currently only have...4 corals in a 45G.  

The fish you're using was about $45 I think I found online (came in a couple different sizes. 

The light and fixture would be about $50-60

Air pump would be $10.

Corals could get kinda pricey.  

I'll definitely think about it. I also thought it'd be cool to make a tank out of a basketball or football cut in half, but my wife thought that was dumb.  I still think it's a great idea. I do want to participate, but I want to keep the tank more than 3-6 months too. 

Overall, on an excitement scale between a tissue box and EZ Bake Oven, I'm definitely Super Mario Bros.

I can't wait to see how this goes! 

• Haha 2
Harrisonbored
23 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Overall, on an excitement scale between a tissue box and EZ Bake Oven, I'm definitely Super Mario Bros.

I can't wait to see how this goes! 

Dude!  You could put an empty hermit crab shell in a pie plate and still win this thing with just the quality of your posts!

Totally dig your current tank thread and avatar.  The Tanaka I had years back is still my fav fish by far