Cultivated Reef

Kimber's Pretty Pico - New super short video

kimberbee

11 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Why's it so hot??

Because, like @WV Reefer stated, Monday is for tank disasters. 

But really, it's just that my heater must be busted. It's a Hydor 25w, and I thought they had internal control so they wouldn't overheat a tank. I didn't check my assumption, but I figured I'd be safe setting the heater to 75 degrees. Imagine my surprise when I went to check on my tank and it was almost 93!!! 

I have a backup testing in the bathroom while I wait for my pico to cool off. It's already down to 89. The house, of course, is at 68 right now... So I need a heater soon so that it doesn't swing too low!! I have an old 25w NeoTherm that I thought was going bad - that's what's in the bathroom right now. Bucket with pump, heater, and thermometer... We'll see...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

But really, it's just that my heater must be busted. It's a Hydor 25w, and I thought they had internal control so they wouldn't overheat a tank. I didn't check my assumption, but I figured I'd be safe setting the heater to 75 degrees. Imagine my surprise when I went to check on my tank and it was almost 93!!! 

I have a backup testing in the bathroom while I wait for my pico to cool off. It's already down to 89. The house, of course, is at 68 right now... So I need a heater soon so that it doesn't swing too low!! I have an old 25w NeoTherm that I thought was going bad - that's what's in the bathroom right now. Bucket with pump, heater, and thermometer... We'll see...

Im still amazed that with all the technical advances in reefing equipment, the heaters are still the weak link.  Boo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Have you just let it run with no heater yet? Not sure how much heat the pump will put out but with the light you may be ok ?

Tried that. Nick keeps the house at 69/70 (it's actually 67/68 right now because of how cold it got last night) and the pico gets down to 73/74 without a heater. :unsure:

GunslingerGirl

Kim my tank is in a similar predicament right now. Sits at 80 with lights and pump and all that but dips to 74-76 at night. Might get a heater just for a night.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, gena said:

If you don't mind spending the money, I highly recommend this heater:

https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim

Set it and forget it :wub:

I probably will go with this option. 

The neotherm is doing a great job keeping my bathroom bucket at a constant temp so I'll use that till a new small heater comes in. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

The 25w Hydor Theo I had in my old 5.5 several years ago would be set in the mid seventies and keep the tank in the upper 80s consistently.  I'd turn it down and it'd stay up.  Made me mad that it's such junk and yet was highly recommended when the Visitherm Stealth heaters went off the market (and that's what it was replacing, my Stealth heaters never had an issue).  I didn't even keep it for water change bucket, I tossed it when I took the tank down (tank did terribly by the way, due to the high temps, and I had no money to replace the heater back then).

The heater Gena recommended is what I've got on my 5.5 and I bought a second for my jar.  I love it and have been recommending it all over the place.  I think Gena is the first person who's bought it from my recommendation. :lol: It's got external thermostat and has kept my tank a consistent 79 degrees for months.  I adore this heater!  And I posted pics of the size in the contest thread so you can see how small it really is.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, seabass said:

Did you decide on a lower flow pump yet?

Yep! I now have a Hydor Pico 300, which is adjustable, so I have it sent at about 1/2 flow: https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Centrifical-Pump-300-All-Purpose/dp/B003SNG9I8

New heater on order: https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim

New bulb on order: http://reefradiance.com/lumentek-12-watt-par-model.html

:happydance: Strawberry nem and brittle star seem to have survived their trip to the sauna Monday just fine. 

• Like 4

you also posted another bacterial boundary passed as well. there are online posts that say they'll (filtration bac) die at that temp but we already knew they would not

• Like 2
7 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Yep! I now have a Hydor Pico 300, which is adjustable, so I have it sent at about 1/2 flow: https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Centrifical-Pump-300-All-Purpose/dp/B003SNG9I8

New heater on order: https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/heaters/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim

New bulb on order: http://reefradiance.com/lumentek-12-watt-par-model.html

:happydance: Strawberry nem and brittle star seem to have survived their trip to the sauna Monday just fine. 

I had the old closeout model of the Reef Radiance bulb on my 5.5 for a while.  Nice whiter spectrum.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, metrokat said:

How is the temperature in the pco these days?

Thanks for asking! It's PERFECT! I added the little heater @Lula_Mae always recommends and it's doing a wonderful job!! 

I still only have the tiny snail, a brittle star, and a strawberry nem. Really wanted that light to work so I could start adding livestock. The pico does get about an hour of sunlight in the late afternoons, but that's just not enough to keep things alive. :(

• Like 3