inTank Media Baskets

Kimber's Pretty Pico - New super short video

kimberbee

I was so excited to see that Felicia posted and is hosting the next Nano-Reef Contest! The Creative Container Pico Contest! 

I went out and found 4 containers to choose from: 

A 1.5 gallon giant "brandy glass" vase 

A 2 gallon terrarium with wooden base

A 2.5 gallon Anchor Hocking jar

A 3 gallon "fish bowl" sphere

Based off the the quality of the glass, I knocked out the brandy glass and the big bowl pretty quickly. The glass seems rather thin, and I know I'm clumsy. I also decided not to risk it, because both of those have curved bottoms, while the terrarium and lidded jar are flat bottomed. 

In the end, I decided to go with... 

36772343594_1313b28053_c.jpg

The terrarium with wooden base!! I wanted something unique as well as eye catching, so that I won't mind having it up for 6 months and beyond. I'll have to be careful not to drip saltwater onto the base. I also may polyurethane it to help seal it. 

Tomorrow, I'll be cleaning out my office, so I'll be able to find it a spot! 

• Like 18
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I was so excited to see that Felicia posted and is hosting the next Nano-Reef Contest! The Creative Container Pico Contest! 

I went out and found 4 containers to choose from: 

A 1.5 gallon giant "brandy glass" vase 

A 2 gallon terrarium with wooden base

A 2.5 gallon Anchor Hocking jar

A 3 gallon "fish bowl" sphere

Based off the the quality of the glass, I knocked out the brandy glass and the big bowl pretty quickly. The glass seems rather thin, and I know I'm clumsy. I also decided not to risk it, because both of those have curved bottoms, while the terrarium and lidded jar are flat bottomed. 

In the end, I decided to go with... 

36772343594_1313b28053_c.jpg

The terrarium with wooden base!! I wanted something unique as well as eye catching, so that I won't mind having it up for 6 months and beyond. I'll have to be careful not to drip saltwater onto the base. I also may polyurethane it to help seal it. 

Tomorrow, I'll be cleaning out my office, so I'll be able to find it a spot! 

I vote for Kimber! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I cleaned up my office and cleared off my work desk this afternoon to make room for my new tank. I have a task light on one side and a small silicone mat to protect the desk surface because I sometimes do crafts there. I actually found the table by a dumpster(!!) and saved it from doom. It's really a vanity, and the middle opens up - There is a huge mirror inside and I keep tools and candles in there. 

37453354756_7f9e2edd9c_c.jpg

I had to keep the tank to the side so that I can still get to that middle compartment. It's close to Rho's cat tree, but he's lazy and likely can't make the jump. At least, he hasn't tried to in the past year and a half. Now I just need to get better at keeping the junk off the table! 

37242979310_b86aa1e2e0_c.jpg

The rock is just a spare rock I had. I actually want to take some rock out of the lagoon and use it in this little pico. I have plans for this dry rock in the lagoon to help get a few pieces off the sand bed! 

37501050941_ed98db1207_c.jpg

• Like 10
4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I cleaned up my office and cleared off my work desk this afternoon to make room for my new tank. I have a task light on one side and a small silicone mat to protect the desk surface because I sometimes do crafts there. I actually found the table by a dumpster(!!) and saved it from doom. It's really a vanity, and the middle opens up - There is a huge mirror inside and I keep tools and candles in there. 

37453354756_7f9e2edd9c_c.jpg

I had to keep the tank to the side so that I can still get to that middle compartment. It's close to Rho's cat tree, but he's lazy and likely can't make the jump. At least, he hasn't tried to in the past year and a half. Now I just need to get better at keeping the junk off the table! 

37242979310_b86aa1e2e0_c.jpg

The rock is just a spare rock I had. I actually want to take some rock out of the lagoon and use it in this little pico. I have plans for this dry rock in the lagoon to help get a few pieces off the sand bed! 

37501050941_ed98db1207_c.jpg

Shoot it's so lovely! I had picked that one out at Target yesterday on my way home from work but didn't buy it. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Looks great!!   Are you going to use a lid?

Definitely need a lid to cut down on evap. I habe two vacations planned and usually DONT have my pet sitter touch the tanks. 

9 hours ago, gena said:

Looks great, Kim!!!!  You might have said, but are you keeping it sand-free?  I aask because it looks really good without sand.

Not sure, maybe a thin layer to help keep good bacteria. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, gena said:

Looks great, Kim!!!!  You might have said, but are you keeping it sand-free?  I aask because it looks really good without sand.

Turns out, I will be adding sand. There is actually a little bit of a "bump" in the bottom. Roofers are here today and they are shaking the house, which caused the rock to settle to the side. It's extreme today, but I figure if I bump the table, the same could happen to the rock later. I'll need to have sand in the bottom to help keep everything stable.

37256948520_cca9648600_n.jpg37256949510_7e32cd81fa_n.jpg23663185258_e6380bd19c_n.jpg

4 hours ago, vlangel said:

I'm going to attempt to polyurethane it later today I think. I'll start with the bottom to see how it looks. I'm worried now about saltwater stains. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Turns out, I will be adding sand. There is actually a little bit of a "bump" in the bottom. Roofers are here today and they are shaking the house, which caused the rock to settle to the side. It's extreme today, but I figure if I bump the table, the same could happen to the rock later. I'll need to have sand in the bottom to help keep everything stable.

37256948520_cca9648600_n.jpg37256949510_7e32cd81fa_n.jpg23663185258_e6380bd19c_n.jpg

I'm going to attempt to polyurethane it later today I think. I'll start with the bottom to see how it looks. I'm worried now about saltwater stains. 

Wow...that's some major work being done at your house :o.  I think it will look just as good with sand since the color is pretty much the same unless you go with black sand.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

What do you think of the flow? Too much? Not enough? (turn volume down and hit play!)

Looks good to me. Not overwhelming which would be the concern. I think the fact that it hits a corner of the rock helps give it some randomness as well (at least that's how it looks from the video)  

I think the sand will tell you about flow. If it goes everywhere then to much..........hopefully the sand stays put.......are you going with bigger sand or smaller stuff? 

• Like 1